Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jan 05, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Car Seats on Aircraft (Again - Sorry)

I'm planning a trip to see friends in LA later this year (coupled with a trip to Disneyland obviously).

We're probably flying BA & want to book a child seat for our 21 month old (at time of flying) so we can take our own car seat, for the flight and to use in LA rather than a rental one. However I'm finding it almost impossible to determine which models of car seat will be acceptable.

I spoke to Britax today who advised me that they recommend the Freeway for use on aircraft (which we have) but this has a maximum width of 17.7" (45cm) which exceeds the seat width of 17", although the base of the seat has a width of 15" which would fit. - The maximum width is several inches above the base of the seat, and would probably be above the seat arm rests. We also have an older mothercare seat which uses a tubular steel frame and doesn't exceed 15.5" but weighs more than I want to lug around LAX & I'm not sure steel framed seats would be acceptable anyway, again because of the weight.

What I thought would be really useful, to me and anyone like me that's googling for an answer would be if you seasoned travellers that have gone before with car seats on aircraft could post replies giving the car seat model, airline , and if possible the aircraft so that a list of "known good" seats emerges.

To be honest, I'm staggered that BA didn't already have such a list (at least of major branded seats).

Anyway, hopefully someone out there has flown with britax freeway on a BA 747-400. - Fingers Crossed

Phil.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 05, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post

I asked this question before too ..Were going with air atlanta and know for fact would have a major problem keeping my daughter in the seat...If i phoned travel city would they be able to advise me of what seat i can take on if anything ?
Old 18 Jan 05, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
It's a ridiculously hard question to get an answer too - I was told that Britax are preferred when we flew with Airtours, but never managed to get an exact model out of them.

I was told, must be forward facing, narrower than 15 inches, and fasten with a lap belt only - but when I got to the airport, all I was asked was 'is it a britax' - mine was not, so they wouldn't let me use it on the way, but on the way back it was ok - never did understand that.

I know the Club Class used to be ok, that's a metal framed seat, probably similiar to your mothercare one.

Do you know that BA will provide an infant seat for you? It's not ideal as you can't use it for takeoff or landing, but it is another option to consider. You don't have to buy a seat for the baby either, it goes on the same shelf as a skycot.

Can I take my own infant car seat on the flight?
Passengers travelling with infants (children from 6 to 23 months of age) may use their own car type seats in conjunction with a normal aircraft seat when the appropriate child fare has been purchased.

Acceptable Seats:
The car seat must be designed to be secured by means of a normal aircraft single lap strap and face the same direction as the passenger seat on which it will rest. The UK CAA requirements differ from the FAA requirements which allow rearward facing car seats. The CAA does not permit rearward facing car seats. The seat must be a purpose-designed children's car seat with a 5-point restraining harness and must not exceed the dimensions of the aircraft seat.

Note: For aircraft take-off and landing the infant would have to be seated on the parents lap, and for safety reasons at times of continued or severe turbulence parents would be asked to remove their baby from any cots or seats. Seat belts for infants will be provided.
Just read this on the BA website - that says babys have to come out of carseats for take off and landing and in times of turbulence - that is complete and utter nonsense - the whole point of paying for a seat is to ensure the baby will be safe in it's own carseat.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 05, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I emailed travel city about the car seat for my daughter but was told because she will be 2 when she travels i am not allowed to take any car seat onboard of any make/kind ... She has to sit in the airline seat...Will have to put it in luggage..Does a car seat or buggy count towards your luggage allowance as her car seat is pretty heavy
Old 19 Jan 05, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
the carseat does not count towards your luggage allowance - and to be hoenst, I think you should still be allowed to use your carseat, but it can be very hard to win the argument.
The FAA recommend carseats for children upto 40lbs which is closer to 4 not 2, but the CAA are not keen on car seats at all.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 05, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I have! We flew last October on a BA 747 with our then 22 month old in a Britax Freeway and it fits perfectly.

I spoke to Britax, BA and our local government in-car safety centre before we bought it, they all recommended it, and it's the measurement of the base that's important.

Relax!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 05, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

I had concerns about my 2 year old in the standard lap belt on an aircraft and wanted to either have him on my lap for take off and landing or bring his car seat.

In the end, as we were flying Virgin they themselves provide a seat insert for under 3's that fits onto the airline seat. Its a 5 point harness and very secure, but hard to fit!

We still took our car seat for use in the rental car.

After having experienced how hard it was for Virgin's own cabin crew to fit one of their own seats, I would probably think twice before taking my own on board!

Just to add, we flew BA last year when DS was 9 months and they did provide their own "car seat" type thing for him, but Im not sure what age that would go up to. I would call BA themselves and see what they recommend. Personally, if your baby is well behaved and unlikely to "struggle"or make a fuss in the lap belt, I would let them travel with out the seat on the aircraft (still take it for the car but put it in the hold). You are allowed to place children under 2 on your lap for take off and landing with an extender belt.

You will find having a car seat fitted in the aircraft seat quite restricting...we got the cabin crew to take the one they provided away after take off as DS wanted to sit in the seat normally.
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 05, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Just had another email from travel city ..telling me i couldnt use it on board and it would have to go in hold along with my buggy / will both be weighed and taken from her luggage allowance ..so thinking of getting one of those light weight car seat thats a booster with back and own straps and very light ... will need it soon enough anyways as car seat she has just now only does her till she is 4
Old 19 Jan 05, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by PoohBears#1fan
I have! We flew last October on a BA 747 with our then 22 month old in a Britax Freeway and it fits perfectly.

I spoke to Britax, BA and our local government in-car safety centre before we bought it, they all recommended it, and it's the measurement of the base that's important.

Relax!
Jo, Thanks for the confirmation - I feel more relaxed already.

I still think it's a shame that BA customer services don't have a list they can refer to when you ring them (or maybe I got the new service agent !)

Originally posted by susiebart61
I emailed travel city about the car seat for my daughter but was told because she will be 2 when she travels i am not allowed to take any car seat onboard of any make/kind ... She has to sit in the airline seat...Will have to put it in luggage..Does a car seat or buggy count towards your luggage allowance as her car seat is pretty heavy
Susie, I think you may need to push this a bit harder - The CAA permits the airlines to allow the use of your own car seats (at their discresion) between the ages of 6 & 36 months. First Choice Airways and Monarch permit them to 36 months, BA only seems to until 24 months. So you may have better luck with the charter airlines. Air Atlanta looks new to the charter market (they usually lease additional capacity to other airlines - it says on their website ! ) If you have the patience, it might be worth contacting them direct

Phil.
Old 20 Jan 05, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post

I have now contacted air atlanta but so far had no reply...So might give them a ring tomorrow ..Travel city have told me no way and that if she was under 2 it would have been ok but because she will be 2 there is no way ..so will wait to hear back from air atlanta
Closed Thread