theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Additional Support Needs & DAS (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   autisum and high rate mobility (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=555396)

MargaretMouse 8 Oct 11 04:37 PM

autisum and high rate mobility

Just really confussed about this , many people i no get high rate for mobility for autisum , i have a grandson and he gets low rate and also he has mobility problems and autisum, although he has been awarded the award indefinetly, should his mum reaply or not. Thanks for your advice.

Guest 8 Oct 11 04:49 PM

I have autistic dd and just had renewal bk and only got low for mobility... and i dont think its worth appealing.

PAT24 8 Oct 11 04:52 PM

my DD has Autism and gets low rate mobility too

Guest 8 Oct 11 05:00 PM

I think low rate for mobility for autistic children is pretty normal. I belong to a group for autistic kids locally, and some parents get middle, some low, and some get non.

I don't think it's worth appealing

Guest 8 Oct 11 05:07 PM

Autism is a complex disorder and every person who is affected by it is different and has different needs.

It all boils down to what you write on the form.

We were unsuccessful on our first two applications for my DS, both of which went to tribunal stage. We lost the first tribunal, but won the second.

If you think your grandson's needs warrant more than a low award, you should think about appealing.

I know people who get no award, low, middle and high rate of DLA for their autistic children.

:wave:

Guest 8 Oct 11 05:33 PM

my friend gets the higher rate for her son and my child gets the lower the difference with my child and hers is this

they are both mobile and both unaware of the dangers around them but he needs two people to keep him from danger, he can become extremeley agressive and agititated when confused or if he has sensory overload, he is a strapping 6ft chap now and so unpredictable so believe me she does need this award because he is not only a danger to himself when he is like this but also to others, i know on trips with the special school he has 2-1 support at all times to keep him safe :(

the big difficulty for her i believe was proving this, she had the gp, school and every professional person working with her son support her application and this certainly helped

pudge 8 Oct 11 05:46 PM

My DS is now 16 and suffers from Fragile X Syndrome with autistic tendencies and we only get low rate motability... he has no road sense and cannot read, thus why we got awarded the low rate

Love*my*hols 9 Oct 11 04:22 PM

To get higher rate mobility for autism it would be under the" severely mentally impaired "category which means amongst other things has to have been awarded highest rate care and has severe behavioural problems which mean he has to be physically restrained to avoid danger to himself or others

Guest 9 Oct 11 04:36 PM

The criteria for higher rate mobility is 'unable or virtually unable to walk' meaning it would be physically impossible or detrimental to the health of that person to walk. Some people with ASD may fit the criteria for lower rate awards but the view seems to be that ASD on it's own is not enough to qualify for the higher rate mobility component of DLA as walking is physically possible and supervision when walking would be covered under an award for the care component.

I'm sorry to say that unless there are exceptional circumstances or other factors affecting his mobility it's probably not worth appealing. Mobility awards for people without a physical disability is something that will be under scrutiny in the upcoming disability benefit reforms. From personal experience anyone I know with ASD and no other disability or medical condition has the lower rate or no award for mobility.

Love*my*hols 9 Oct 11 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust (Post 6776695)
The criteria for higher rate mobility is 'unable or virtually unable to walk' meaning it would be physically impossible or detrimental to the health of that person to walk. Some people with ASD may fit the criteria for lower rate awards but the view seems to be that ASD on it's own is not enough to qualify for the higher rate mobility component of DLA as walking is physically possible and supervision when walking would be covered under an award for the care component.

I'm sorry to say that unless there are exceptional circumstances or other factors affecting his mobility it's probably not worth appealing. Mobility awards for people without a physical disability is something that will be under scrutiny in the upcoming disability benefit reforms. From personal experience anyone I know with ASD and no other disability or medical condition has the lower rate or no award for mobility.

Yes you are correct but severely mentally impaired(SMI) is a special provision that does not actually consider walking ability and is not based on usual mobility criteria.Autism is the condtion it is sometimes awarded for depending as I said above