theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Best park to visit on 5 November (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=644826)

Guest 13 Sep 12 11:03 PM

Best park to visit on 5 November

We are due to be in Orlando on Bonfire night and am just wondering which is the best Disney park to see the fireworks at. Are they extra special for this night? Thanks

djewkes 13 Sep 12 11:18 PM

I don't think the US celebrates the burning at the stake of a man who tried to blow up the houses of parliament, but I could be wrong x

Bolto6 13 Sep 12 11:19 PM

I've not been at bonfire night but I can't imagine they do anything different as it's a British thing. I bet they all think we're mad celebrating a failed plot to blow up parliament.

kimmy 13 Sep 12 11:50 PM

No they don t have anything ,its a brit thing.But they certainly know how to put on an amazing fireworks displays on in the Parks... LOL !

Guest 14 Sep 12 08:10 AM

USA does not celebrate Nov 5th ,bonfire night, (was originally the end of the pagan year) as the event celebrates an unsuccesful attempt to blow up the british parliment... USA prefers to celebrate success and do so on July 4th when they successfully kicked us out.

Why do we a celebrate failure?

Bella1 14 Sep 12 08:14 AM

Since it is only a British tradition there is nothing special. If Wishes is on then I would head there to get my firework fix!

We are usually home a couple of days before Bonfire night but no longer go to any displays here because after only seeing Wishes or Epcot a couple of days before all the British displays pale in to insignificance!:erm:

Guest 14 Sep 12 10:49 AM

100% Wishes at Magic Kingdom. Illuminations at Epcot is brilliant, until you see Wishes.

Guest 14 Sep 12 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 7821119)
USA does not celebrate Nov 5th ,bonfire night, (was originally the end of the pagan year) as the event celebrates an unsuccesful attempt to blow up the british parliment... USA prefers to celebrate success and do so on July 4th when they successfully kicked us out.

My understanding is that they were trying to blow up King James who was due at parliament that day (opening possibly). I think it was another one of those Protestant/Catholic things :nonono:. He designated it a day of celebration when they failed (fair enough I suppose and kind of a success for him).
I believe it's still quite big in Newfoundland, which is a little bit closer if the OP is really desperate. :erm:

DonnaD 14 Sep 12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 7821119)

LOL July is also a much better time to stand outside watching fireworks! After 22 years in the UK I still struggle with finding any enjoyment in standing in cold rain in a muddy field watching a bonfire or fireworks.

I made a real effort when my oldest DD was 5. I couldn't really explain why the Scouts had built an effigy of Cliff Richard and his Summer Holiday Bus and set them on fire! She was terrified and I felt abit disturbed as we were on the grounds of a Catholic Church.

Have to agree that most Americans will have never hear of Bonfire Night.

llamala 14 Sep 12 11:00 PM

Bonfire night is my DH birthday and he loved a firework party until we started going to Disney, now all the stuff we try to do at home seems laaamme.LOL
We enjoy the firworks in center parcs if we can get a good deal for his bday.
Only managed 1 birthday in DIsney