theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   insurance if taking warfarin (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=391547)

buffy 19 Mar 10 07:47 PM

insurance if taking warfarin

Anyone know of any insurance companies that covers if taking warfarin?

JanetA 19 Mar 10 08:22 PM

I have been on Warfarin since 2002 for heart valve replacement and usually have an annual policy,
The last two years we have used Columbus Direct,we did have too do medical screening as both hubby and I have existing medical conditions,
lots of folk travel while on warfarin so I do not think you will have any problems getting cover

cheers

Jan

Guest 19 Mar 10 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetA (Post 4669079)
I have been on Warfarin since 2002 for heart valve replacement and usually have an annual policy,
The last two years we have used Columbus Direct,we did have too do medical screening as both hubby and I have existing medical conditions,
lots of folk travel while on warfarin so I do not think you will have any problems getting cover

cheers

Jan

The insurance isn't for the warfarin it's for the existing condition that causes you to have to take warfarin e.g. a heart problem! JanetA has recommended the best - Columbus. It will take you through a series of questions and base the premium / acceptance on the condition and the answers you give (which must be truthful). I'm a warfarin taker too - arythmmia problem and Columbus proved the best.

Guest 19 Mar 10 08:35 PM

Be honest

However costly shop about and please please please ' i dont usually implore as its a bit over dramatic... but... !

Declare everything, be upfront, the one time you dont you can guarantee something will happen... try direct line theyve been helpfull with us in the past.

Dont run the risk or think 'well be okay', its always worth paying the extra.

Cj :wavey:

TinkTatoo 19 Mar 10 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbournelads (Post 4669126)
However costly shop about and please please please ' i dont usually implore as its a bit over dramatic... but... !

Declare everything, be upfront, the one time you dont you can guarantee something will happen... try direct line theyve been helpfull with us in the past.

Dont run the risk or think 'well be okay', its always worth paying the extra.

Cj :wavey:

Totally agree with this. We only ever thought of our trip insurance in terms of claims for a lost or damaged case or a Dr bill for something trivial but DH was rushed unexpectedly to hospital last summer where he spent two nights, had surgery and spent the next week in bed. It wasn't connected to any pre-existing conditions (which we'd already declared) but with a medical bill of over £30,000 it would have been a nightmare if it had been related and we'd not told them as we wouldn't have been covered.

Florida_Bear 19 Mar 10 09:32 PM

We have used insure and go a few times and declared up front the medicine I take and MIL's C.O.P.D problems.
They have always insured us and not increased the premium.

Regards... Ted

Baggie Bird 20 Mar 10 12:01 AM

I had a dvt last year 3 months before my Vegas/Florida holiday and was on warfarin.

My insurance is with my bank, LLoyds TSB and I had to declare the dvt to them. I was covered for last years trip FOC. However, for this year's holiday I have had to pay an excess of £12.00 to cover me even though I am now off the warfarin.

At least I know that I am covered if I was to get another dvt whilst on holiday.

pinkspideruk 20 Mar 10 03:32 AM

I just used columbus for my insurance for this year - they covered my pre-existing conditions (diabetes and the tag along hypertension and high cholesterol) for £40 for single trip which i thought was very reasonable - one company quoted me over £100 and the rest were around £65+ I also took the slightly more expensive option with a few extra bits of cover just in case.

scots minnie 20 Mar 10 08:38 AM

our dd7 has complex heart disease and warfarin is one of her meds,we just had to pay a small premium on our bank account insurance,like the others have said tell all!

lotti 20 Mar 10 08:57 AM

try E Travel, we found them very reasonable for passangers with medical history and they covered alot of things some will not.