View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 14, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsWoody
Very Serious Dibber

Cruise update - making a start on our fish extender!

Next up is an update about our cruise!

I have been obsessed with the idea of doing a gift exchange ever since receiving some pixie dust on our last cruise and arriving back to our stateroom with a little bag magnetically attached to our door containing the cutest little Mickey and Minnie painted pegs similar to the ones below.

(Maybe the person who's photo this is was our mystery Tink being on the Disney Dream in 2013 )

As it was just Seb and I last time we didn't participate in a fish exchange and if any of you read my wedding planning report my time was filled with doing crafty bits for my wedding. Since then I've not done much crafting but looking forward to getting into it again for our cruise.

I went over to the dark side and set up a cruise meet for our cruise and waited and waited without much response - obviously our US counterparts don't plan their vacations months and months in advance! Eventually a few people joined and set up a fish extender exchange, yay!

Then I got to thinking about our fish extender. I thought just buying one would take half of the fun out of it so I decided to make my own. I do own a sewing machine but unfortunately every time I attempt to use it I seem to end up in a thread and machine mangled mess and end up wanting to thrown the blooming thing across the room! I wish I had now paid more attention in home economics

I had read on the cruise forum here that people had previously used IKEA Pysslingar shoe storage wall pockets and re-imagined them Disney style. Thinking these would make an ideal starting point I picked up a couple for a bargain £3.50 each.

Here's what they look like in case anyone else is looking to pick some up:

As we need 5 pockets I attached two together - going for the hand sewn method given my past disasters with the machine.

We then decided to cover each pocket in a colour matching to our chosen theme. I picked up three T shirts at a pound each in Primark to do this.

The themes we have chosen are:

Navy Blue header with our family name at the top.
Light Blue: Frozen for Georgia
Black: Maleficent for Beth
Navy Blue: Mickey and Minnie and for Me (probably the silhouette of the 2 kissing )
Light Blue: Toy Story for Haribo
Black: Star Wars for Seb.

I've made a start and here how it looks so far. I'm pleased with how it's turning out - so far so good.

For the next step I've bought some ribbon which looks similar to the Disney Cruise Line logo to go around the outside of each pocket and around the outside of the fish extender.

I'm now going to scour ebay to try to source some iron on patches in our chosen themes (I've had enough of sewing!)

Wish me luck

May 2015 - Planning:Vero beach, 4nt Disney Dream, Dibb Villa @Westridge,WDW Dolphin & RPR Club level
MrsWoody is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List