View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 08, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Diamonddog2801 View Post
Las Vegas is poorly served by direct flights from the UK to McCarran International in Vegas. As I'm aware, only three companies offer direct flights to Vegas, those being:
Virgin Atlantic
Fly daily from Gatwick to McCarran.
BMI
Currently fly from Manchester on Tuesdays/Thursdays/Sundays in summer months and Thursdays/Sundays only in winter. They quite often codeshare this service with Air New Zealand, I believe?
Thomas Cook
Fly from Manchester on Wednesdays/Saturdays in summer and Wednesdays only in winter. They were previously known as My Travel,of course.
... Thomas Cook flights quite often stop in Belfast or Glasgow for more passengers. This makes them no better than an indirect flight with a stop in the US. When you book, please make sure you know if your flight is scheduled for this -and ask for flight times with that taken into account.

Johnny Come Latelies
Sometimes you can get great deals by waiting until the last moment - but there's no guaranteees, and it's exceptionally difficult if you are booking for a family etc. I wouldn't recommend it now, but I did get some astonishing deals in the mid 90s doing this.
Diamond Dog,
Absolutely brilliant post.

Just a few points.
When looking for flights to Las Vegas, direct will take you there, but often people are trying to achieve non-stop. Just because the service is listed as direct doesn't mean it is non-stop.
( I know you know this ).

The BMI flight so far as I know may be a code share with US Airways, and is sometimes cheaper through them rather than with BMI itself.
The BMI website states " Please note we offer a direct service to Las Vegas on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and offer a connection via Chicago for the remaining days of the week. "
Even BMI do not make it obvious " direct " isn't automatically " non-stop ".

Thomas Cook Airlines flies from Manchester to Las Vegas on Wednesdays / Sundays / not Saturdays.
Sometimes it is cheaper to book a Thomas Cook Fly-Drive, rather than a Flight Only, you can then choose the no hire car option and make your own arrangements.
GM Card users can save themselves 9% by using GM Card Thomas Cook Travel Service, and there is no credit card charge.
The flight prices vary - even on the same Thomas Cook Airlines flight, by looking on the Direct Holidays / Airtours / My Travel / Thomas Cook websites. Check each of them before booking.

Regarding Johnny Come Latelies, totally agree about not leaving it to last minute, but if brave enough, Thomas Cook begin reducing flight prices around six weeks before departure. If you take a look three weeks before, they drop substantially, then a week before they hit their lowest - or disappear. ( For instance, this coming week, you could book @ £318, to fly at the week-end. Four weeks ago, this was £499, six weeks ago it was £590, beforehand it was £729. )

Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List