Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Sep 14, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

The Beginning of an Obsession | May 2014 | Day 5 | Hollywood Studios

Wow, it's been a little while since I posted our previous day in this trip, hasn't it? In case you can't remember go and click the index button above to refresh your memories

Day 4 of our trip saw our first visit to Hollywood Studios (or MGM for those of you who still aren't accustomed to the name ). Our FastPass reservations were all based in the afternoon today, so we nipped down to the pool early morning for our first swim of the holiday.

For me, this was a daunting experience. Prior to this trip I hadn't been swimming since I was around 12-13 years old, so I was a little nervous to say the least. Not to mention I'm not the most body confident of people either. It took me a little while to adjust to the water and to get to grips with swimming (read: thrashing around) again but once I'd gotten the hang of it I was fine. Although I still can't tread water.

The pool next to our room was so quiet every time we visited, which was really nice. I think the most people we ever saw was 2. We never journeyed over to the main pool though so I can't say much on that one.

After about an hour/hour and a half we made our way back to the room to shower and get ready before catching the bus over to DHS.

We arrived at around lunchtime, so before we started on anything we stopped at Starring Rolls for a quick service lunch. Before we went I got myself really into reading the Disney Food Blog, and it was there I discovered the joy that is the Butterfinger cupcake. Me + Peanut Butter anything =

We both ordered the turkey sandwich, which was quite possibly one of the biggest sandwiches I'd ever eaten. Lewis ordered a bag of crisps and a fruit tart with his and I went for a banana and (obviously) the Butterfinger cupcake.

The sandwich was lovely albeit very filling and I really struggled with the cupcake. That thing was huge! But seriously, seriously good. What I wouldn't do for one of those right now...

Lewis helped polish it off and not long after we were on our way to see the Beauty and the Beast show.

We really enjoyed the show. My only complaint if anything was that it could have been longer. I thought Gaston was portrayed perfectly and the ending was adorable.

Our FastPass for Toy Story Mania was up next, so we tried to make our way over to Pixar Studios (we got lost) before eventually finding it.

I have to admit, I totally get why everyone loves this ride. It's SO MUCH FUN. Even ignoring the fact that I lost. It's probably one of my favourite rides in Disney!

It was a little while before our next FastPass so we headed on over to One Man's Dream where we spent a generous amount of time reading through the timeline of Walt's life and perusing through the models of all the parks. This might not be some people's idea of fun but I thought it was all really interesting, I love learning about the history of Disney and seeing where it all began.

We watched the 20 minute film after and I found it really emotional. I think Lewis even got a bit upset over the fact that he put so much effort into WDW and he never even got to see it.

We queued for the Art of Animation class next. Neither one of us are particularly brilliant artists but these classes were one of our Hollywood Studios highlights. On our first visit we got set the task of drawing Flynn Rider.

Although Lewis' wasn't an exact match I thought his drawing could have easily found its way into a Disney movie! Whereas mine, I just couldn't get his nose right (lol) In fact, I had to go one step further and give him two! I've also just realised when editing these photos that we've put the wrong date on the drawings - I think we all did actually!

I think I've accepted that I'll never be the greatest at drawing people

From here we went to see the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show. I think we had a FastPass booked for this but we ended up changing it because there wasn't much of a wait time?

While it was a nice little show, for me it didn't live up to the likes of Finding Nemo the Musical or the Beauty and the Beast show. I would see it again, but it's not my favourite.

Continued...

Edited at 09:04 PM.
axxxl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

... Continued.

We ended up switching our FastPass from the Little Mermaid to the Great Movie Ride. While enjoyable, I think some parts are a little dated and could do with an update. I've read rumours that it won't be happening for another few years though because of private bookings.

MuppetVision 3D was our next stop. The only Muppet film I'd ever seen prior to this trip was the Muppets Christmas Carol which I watched loads when I was a kid. So I wasn't that interested. But it was good! I've since seen the two newer films since we got back and we both thought they were hilarious. Bizarre, but hilarious.

Our last FastPass of the day was for Star Tours. I was so, so nervous for this. As I've mentioned before I'm not the greatest lover of drops in rides. And obviously this had a sign outside saying there were sudden drops. The cast member had to reassure me that it was all simulated and you didn't actually drop, but I was still apprehensive.

I braved it anyway because I knew how much Lewis enjoyed Star Wars, and I was surprisingly okay. I did have to shut my eyes in parts because it got a little intense, but I managed. Woo!

Because we enjoyed the animation class so much earlier, we went back to draw another character. We got Winnie the Pooh, and mine wasn't a major fail this time Lewis' wasn't bad again either, and I think we was fancying himself as a bit of a Disney animator by now

It was getting on a bit at this point, and we had an ADR booked at the Sci Fi Diner, so we made our way over. Once we checked in we had around a 25 minute wait before our buzzer went off and we were shown to our table. I think this is somewhere that you need to make a booking, as they were turning away everyone else while we waited.

The Sci Fi Diner seems to be a love it or hate it kind of restaurant, but we both loved it. Yes, it was dark, but the atmosphere was great and our server was brilliant - he'd been working in the parks for over 30 years.

We both ordered an Oreo milkshake as our drinks.

It was seriously the best milkshake I've ever had. Ever. It was too dark to photograph the rest of our meal, but I had the Build Your Own burger and Lewis had the All American Picnic burger. We both thought they were really nice, and couldn't complain at all.

We weren't going to go for dessert since we were paying out of pocket, but our server recommended the glazed donut with cinnamon apples, ice cream and caramel sauce. We ordered one to share and it was definitely enough for two. The dessert was fab.

All in all a good meal, and we'll be returning next year. Our server made a comment as we were leaving - "No Tower for an hour!" That wouldn't have been a problem for me as you'd have to kill me and drag my body on to get me to ride that thing

We finished off the night with a showing of Fantasmic. I was so looking forward to seeing this, and it definitely lived up to my expectations!

I'd try to get there a bit earlier next time though as we were seated right on the end and it didn't have the greatest view in the world. We left straight after to get back to the room for the night, as we had a full day at Magic Kingdom tomorrow!
Old 7 Sep 14, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Great day! I love Hollywood Studios, especially at night!

We loved Sci-Fi Dine in too, we ended up eating there twice, once for the star wars breakfast and once for burgers!

Love your tshirt too!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mermaids View Post
Great day! I love Hollywood Studios, especially at night!

We loved Sci-Fi Dine in too, we ended up eating there twice, once for the star wars breakfast and once for burgers!

Love your tshirt too!
There's so many mixed reviews of Sci Fi but we loved it! Definitely a must do for us next year, though we're on DDP next time and we're going to give Mama Melrose a shot too.

Thank you, the tshirt is from Uniqlo!
Old 12 Sep 14, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
kansaskitty
Imagineer

A great HS day! Another here who loves sci-fi dine in! The animation class looks great, that's something we've never done. Totally agree about The Little Mermaid show too.

A big well done for you for swimming too!
Old 15 Sep 14, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kansaskitty View Post
A great HS day! Another here who loves sci-fi dine in! The animation class looks great, that's something we've never done. Totally agree about The Little Mermaid show too.

A big well done for you for swimming too!
You should definitely do the class next time, it's so much fun!
Old 4 Oct 14, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

What a lovely relaxing day. I was disappointed by the little mermaid show as I didn't think it was the same quality as the likes of Nemo or FOTLK.

We loved the scifi diner but only managed it as our last meal on our last day in HS but it's on our list for at least 2 visits next year if we can. Also love the comment "no tower for an hour!" Lol
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 14, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
What a lovely relaxing day. I was disappointed by the little mermaid show as I didn't think it was the same quality as the likes of Nemo or FOTLK.

We loved the scifi diner but only managed it as our last meal on our last day in HS but it's on our list for at least 2 visits next year if we can. Also love the comment "no tower for an hour!" Lol
Those were my thoughts as well on the Little Mermaid show. I didn't get to see FOTLK because of the relocation but it just didn't seem in the same league at all. Still a good excuse to get out of the heat for 25 minutes though.

It's no tower not ever for me You'd have to kill me to get me on there haha.
Old 5 Oct 14, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rollercolster View Post
Fab day - we love one mans dream too - it's taken us a few trips to actually go in there but it's just such an incredible tribute that we're not really sure why we didn't experience sooner ! Your pictures turned out really well too !
I think we'll take a little more time exploring One Man's Dream next trip, I was rushing around because I wanted to see the little film but we never went back in to finish it!
Old 6 Oct 14, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
fab report
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List