Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 14, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

The Smiffs Go West - Day 5 – The Road Trip Begins Santa Cruz and Monterey

The index is here

Today is the day that the road trip starts!

We decided to let the kids lie in a little while we packed , then at 9am DH and I went out to get some breakfast to bring back to the room. DD requested a chocolate croissant, DS a cinnamon roll & DH & I weren’t fussed. The corner coffee shop didn't do cinnamon rolls so DH bought coffee and pastries for him and DD and I went to our hotels breakfast area to see what they had. I managed to get some pancakes for DS and Oatmeal for me - I also found out that we could get free tea and coffee anytime - I wish I'd known that before! When DD saw DS’s pancakes she was well jealous and I felt bad.

We left them eating & getting ready at their own pace and popped across the street to the Fairmont to pick up our car from the Hertz location there. We had originally planned to travel back to the airport, but had changed the booking when we realised how close the desk was!

The Hertz rep processed our booking and said the car would arrive in around 30-40 minutes so we just hung around in the lobby. The desk was really quiet, and before long she called us over to say that our car had arrived, gave us the paperwork and sent us down to the garage. Stupidly I just took the paperwork and headed towards the lift. As we were walking across the garage I glanced down and could see that she’d added on $160 of charges! :angry::angry: So back up we went.

By this time there was a queue of around 4 families, but I just stood by the side and the rep asked if there was a problem. At this point an American lady in the line got all angry and started shouting about "what was the point of a line” etc. I was really embarrassed but loudly stated that I’d waited in line once and that my paperwork was wrong. The rep swiftly reversed the charge and we picked up the car.

We had booked a standard SUV and were given a massive black Mercedes GL450. DH was super happy.

We left it in the garage and went back to our hotel to check out and collect the children and luggage.

The journey was pretty uneventful – I used NavFree USA on the ipad and it took us to a safeway store in Daly City. We stocked up on the usual Water, Twinkies, Pringles and pop tarts (oh and 4 bottles of wine ), then spotted a Panda Express for Lunch. We’d never been before but we loved the food there and all had lunch for less than $30. I went into TJ Maxx for a very quick browse and then we set off around 1.30pm.

We joined Skyline Boulevard and after that CA1 down the coast towards Santa Cruz. We stopped a couple of times to admire the views - I have never seen so many kite/windsurfers on one beach!

Having a relaxed morning and lunch meant that we were WAY later than planned, so when we got to Santa Cruz we knew we would have to rush. We parked in the first car park we saw, put an hour on the pay and display and marched towards the pier.

Being a Sunday it was heaving with people.

I purchased enough tickets for us all to ride the big dipper as featured in the Lost Boys movie (24 =$24) and we joined the line.

It only took around 15 mins to board and we all really enjoyed the ride. This is the view from the top!

We then had to rush back to the car. We bought a couple of slushy drinks and set off. I would have loved to spend more time here – just an afternoon wandering would have done, but it was not to be.

Continued in next post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03479.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	57187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03481.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	57188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03486.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	57189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03488.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	57190   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03489.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	57191  

Name:	DSC03491.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	57192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03495.jpg
Views:	1578
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	57193  

Edited at 12:44 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

The Smiffs Go West - Day 5 – The Road Trip Begins Santa Cruz and Monterey Contd

We drove on down CA1 to Monterey to find our hotel for the night. Neither of us was quite sure what to expect as this was the one that had changed at the last minute. The Sat Nav took us to the Cannery Row Inn with no problem at all. I was a bit nervous checking in as we had no proper confirmation but it was all OK and they gave us a rollaway bed with no extra charge. The room was OK - you could see the sea if you were out on the balcony, but it was a little dark and dingy.

We unloaded the car, changed and wandered down Cannery Row to see the sights.

That seagull never moved while we were there!

It was after 7pm now so we had a little look around and then found our restaurant for the night Hulas Island Grill. The whole of Monterey seemed quiet – except Hulas which was packed. Always a good sign in my opinion. We had a cocktail while waiting and soon enough they called our name.

They took us to a table outside which I can only describe as coffee table height. We don’t like to eat outside - DS rarely takes off his hoody (this is a theme throughout the holiday) so we requested a table inside and waited again.

The food was worth the wait and it was so good I only have pictures of dessert! DS had the vege chicken, DD had mac and cheese, I had Jerk Pork and DH had New York Steak. The atmosphere in the restaurant is buzzing and great fun. We really enjoyed the experience and the puddings were great. I had key lime pie – this was yummy but sadly I had to share with DH. The kids had a pot brownie each and they polished off the lot!

The bill came to $130 including cocktails and tip. We left around 9.30pm and went back to the hotel to bed. The jet lag was still making us all tired in the evenings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03500.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	57194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03506.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	57195   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03508.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	57196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140817-00569.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	57197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140817-00571.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	57198  

Name:	IMG-20140817-00576.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	57199  

Edited at 05:30 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Ooh - I just got my last silver Mickey Head
Old 7 Sep 14, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Fab read again. Great start to your drive, i have read nightmare stories about car hire wait times so i havent planned much after we leave San Fran to get to Yosemite, just a nice casual drive there. Naughty about the extra charges but well done you for standing your ground with the queue!

Santa cruz looks lively, shame we miss it as its out of our way, i love the Lost Boys

Glad to see you enjoyed Hulas, im really looking forward to that now, the cocktails look incredible.

Well done on your ear
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 14, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely day, great car! A cocktail or two is always good! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 14, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Much easier to go without a car whilst in SF. With parking at $52 plus tax a night in some places. Loved your overcharge story but glad you got it sorted.
It's a great drive down the coast though isn't it? Love Monterey and its laid back atmosphere and once again, you guys look like you had a great meal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 15, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nubbedy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

A good day travelling despite being a bit behind schedule!
Old 19 Apr 15, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Those beaches looked perfect, well done for not stopping!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List