Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 20 Sep 14, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

The Smiffs Go West - Day 10 - Disney California Adventure

Day 10- Disney California Adventure

The index is here

Well today was our first Californian Disney Day. We were all up bright and early as we wanted to be at DCA for rope drop. The plan was to stay all day with a break for early dinner, then go back to the park for World of Color. It was EMH for onsite guests so we knew that we wouldn’t be first in. We were all up, dressed and bag check by just after 8am and the plaza was pretty much deserted. I had a plan of attack from a thread here on the Dibb to follow and we were raring to go!

Just as we approached the turnstiles the Disney Magic kicked in. A CM came up to us and gave us a magic ticket to get into the park early. Happy Days. We entered the park, the turnstile attendant took the special ticket and we set off towards Cars Land. This was where we had a slight hiccup. We came to a second rope and a CM asked to see our room keys. We explained about the special ticket & she said that we shouldn’t have handed them in at the turnstile. Eventually she let us through and we were off. As it was still EMH the fast pass machines weren’t up and running yet so we rode RSR as single rider and were straight on. I think we rode again straight afterwards. The 6 in a car configuration works really well for single riders here.

We then rode the other two rides and had a wander around looking at the theming. The attention to detail is wonderful – we were all really impressed by it all. DH went off to get a FP for Soaring and WoC while we browsed the shops.

We were a bit peckish by now and the plan said that breakfast should be the banana brioche at Flos V8 Café.

The food here is fab and nothing is too much trouble. DS wanted the standard breakfast but with no meat. They subbed the meat for fresh fruit which worked really well for us. DD had the childs plate with fruit and yogurt and a biscuit I think. She only wanted the fruit and yogurt. The brioche was lovely. Not too sweet, but the caramel sauce added the sweetness. The fresh banana on top was perfect. The bill was $30.

We spotted these guys

After breakfast headed to Paradise pier to ride TSM, but the wait was 40 minutes.

We decided to ride other rides and come back later. We rode Goofys Sky School (bit of a bone shaker), The Golden Zephyr and California Screaming ( everyone loved this). All with pretty much no wait at all. We then got in line for Mickeys Fun Wheel. I loved this ride. It’s got a small footprint so why can they not find a space for one of these at WDW? The wait was around 20 minutes but was well worth it!

Look! No Hoody!

We then rode Cali Screaming again. The line for TSM was still 40 mins so we gave it a miss.

It was really really hot and we were all flagging a bit by now so we found a place to sit in Pacific Wharf. DH and I had a margarita from Ritas. DD & DS had a soda each. I love this area – its like an outside food court with lots of different food options, but the seating doesn’t seem to be reserved for any particular restaurant. We chilled here for a while and just people watched.

We then wandered round to Condor Flats to ride Soarin’ with our FP. DH ran ahead to get a FP for ToT and he met us at the entrance. We got the front row which made me happy. I love this ride but DH really isn’t fussed.

I cannot remember the order of the next bits, but we definitely rode Monsters inc and saw the Muppets. We stopped again for some fruit as DD was hungry and flagging a lot. We found a park bench in Hollywood Land and just watched the world go by. The receipt says this was 3.50pm and is seemed to have got even hotter.

We got a picture with Walt.

Next was Tower of Terror.

This is our fav ride in WDW and I was really excited to compare the ride experiences. I knew this one was different, but I have to say I preferred the ride at WDW. The basement area seems better themed at DCA – this monstrous boiler was quite scary, but the actual ride seems quite short.

Continued in next post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg
Views:	1847
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	57427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140822-00612.jpg
Views:	1855
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	57428   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04012.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	57429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04013.jpg
Views:	1860
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	57431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04015.jpg
Views:	1848
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	57432  

Name:	DSC04031.jpg
Views:	1832
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	57433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04033.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	57434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04035.jpg
Views:	1845
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	57435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04043.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	57436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04045.jpg
Views:	1853
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	57437  

Name:	DSC04051.jpg
Views:	1863
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	57438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04068.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	57439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04087.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	57440   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04094.jpg
Views:	1848
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	57441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04099.jpg
Views:	1818
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	57442  

Edited at 10:07 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 14, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Day 10- Disney California Adventure... continued

At this point we decided to head out of the park as we had a 6pm reservation at the House of Blues. I had a $50 Restaurant.com voucher to use. We passed the Boudin Bakery tour and popped in to see what it was all about. It was really quiet, but interesting.

We then went into the Ghiradelli shop for a freebie. Aparrently its rude not to if you're passing We watched a lady making waffle cones - I had just assumed they were shipped in in a box. Quite impressive really.

We got stuck by the parade for a few minutes and I quite enjoyed the bits I saw. We never usually bother with the parades as it feels like we are wasting valuable ride time, but perhaps we should make more time.

I sneaked into the World of Disney and bought a Disneyland T-Shirt I had my eye on. I was kinda disappointed at the lack of Disneyland specific merchandise. It was pretty much the same items you get in WDW. I only spotted one Disneyland Xmas bauble for our tree and it was horrid so I came away empty handed.

The house of Blues was fairly busy, but we were sat quickly. There really was nothing that DS would eat on the entrée menu so he opted for two appetizers – a flatbread and a side portion of mac and cheese. DD and I had the lobster mac and cheese with a house salad – DH had the jambalaya. We shared a spinach & artichoke dip for a starter. Well again we totally over ordered. DS’s flatbread was HUGE and his mac and cheese was the same size as mine! You can see the size of the flatbread in the picture! We ended up taking it with us.

The dip was tasty, but we hardly dented it. DH loved his jambalaya but I was really disappointed in my food. There was no cheese – it was pretty much bland and tasteless. And this was the most expensive meal of the holiday. The cocktails were lovely though. The flatbread was also lovely - we had it for breakfast the next day and really enjoyed it. I think I just picked the wrong thing.

We left around 8pm waddled back through DTD into DCA and found the FP area for WoC. It all seemed a bit chaotic and we weren’t really directed to any particular place. We found a place and sat down to wait. The Pier area is really pretty at night.

The show was on at 9.45pm so we waited a while, but it was worth it. The show was fabulous - the pictures dont really do it justice.

I don’t even remember getting back, but we were tucked up in our beds again in record time.

Tomorrow Disneyland...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04103.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	57443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04109.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	57444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04111.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	57445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04114.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	57447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04118.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	57449  

Name:	DSC04133.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	57453   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04146.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	57454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04148.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	57455   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04125.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	57456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140822-00613.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	57457  

Name:	IMG-20140822-00614.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	57458  

Edited at 05:33 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 14, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Carsland is just fantastic isn't it and to have a life size car talk to you! The theming is just so spot on. Did you not go back for the Neon switch on at dusk. The whole Radiator Springs area takes on a whole new feel.

Did you realise on the right hand side of your ToT photo it is meant to represent Walt's office at the studios - the windows where the blinds stick out above them? (Just behind the trolley wire pole).

Unfortunately a lot of Park merchandise is now very generic with that dratted phrase "Disney parks". I'd like to go back to the days where the shops were specific to the rides or areas.

Shame about the House of Blues food. Usually we have a great meal in there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 14, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

I had no idea about Walts Office! Thats the thing about Disney though isn't it? There are so many small details that just make you want to go again and again. Each time you see something new.

We went back to see Cars Land at night on a different day. It's amazing! I just didn't want to leave
Old 20 Sep 14, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post

They sadly need Cars Land at WDW. Maybe it will happen now they are shutting the Baklot tour at DHS.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 14, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

I'll be sorry to see the backlot tour go but I'd hate WDW and DL/DCA to be replicas of each other.

I think WDW needs something equally as wow as Carsland but different. Not sure what though - maybe starwars land!
Old 20 Sep 14, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great pictures. Our veggie ate a LOT of mac & cheese on our trip!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 14, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Great pictures. Our veggie ate a LOT of mac & cheese on our trip!
Yes, ours too. Its a shame really as I kept reading that California is great for vegetarians, but that was not really our experience at all.
Old 2 Oct 14, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great day at the park, it was really hot when we were there too!

Shame about your HOB meal, we love it there and always have fab food.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 15, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nubbedy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Disappointed to read that California is not much good for veggies, I'd better get used to Mac and Cheese!