Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 30 Sep 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

The Smiffs Go West - Day 19 - " Last Call!" Going Home :(

Day 19 - " Last Call!" Going Home

The index is here

Today I woke with the sad realisation that we were going home. We weren’t in any particular hurry as we didn’t need to be at the airport til 2.30pm. The breakfast in this hotel had really good reviews on trip advisor so we were really looking forward to some home cooked fayre. The food was lovely, but this is another hotel where they have tried to squeeze too much into a tiny space. You couldn’t really get to the waffle machine or cereal without standing almost on top of people eating their breakfast. They constantly ran out of bowls and plates and it seemed like one poor girl was doing everything as well as covering reception. It was all a bit stressful for my liking.

After breakfast the teens had a dip in the pool, while we did the final bit of packing. We seemed to have one whole suitcase full of chocolate!

We left our trusty cooler behind in the room and set off around 11am. The cooler had been great value at $6.99 - you definately need one on a road trip here. We needed to fill up with fuel so we stopped at the Chevron and we saw some Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the window. We hadn’t seen any all holiday so we each chose one to eat later. Unfortunately we hadn’t realised that it was Sunday and those doughnut had probably been there since Friday. They weren’t the freshest……

I drew out the last of the $$$ from the fairfx card – just so that when we come back at Christmas, we’d have some currency.

The journey was uneventful and as we came into San Francisco the decision was made to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. We saw lots of signs saying that there was no cash payments today, but we took that to mean that there would e no manned booths. WRONG! There was no-where to pay so we just drove on over knowing that a fine would be coming our way.

We then drove on Highway 1, through the Presidio and Golden Gate Park. The traffic going the other way was horrendous, but we kept moving. The Sat Nav said we were 10 miles from the airport so we pulled in to fill up again. This was a full service station and we made the error of not making sure the tank was full to the brim. When we got to the airport the tank was showing 7/8 full so we then had to find the gold customer service desk to sort it out. :angry: I couldn’t find the paperwork anywhere and we were all really cross with each other at this point.

Eventually we got in line at the check in desk. I think we arrived at the right time as the queue got bigger and bigger behind us. For most of the time we were there, there was just one poor woman checking everyone in – I couldn’t see how everyone would have got through here and then security in time to catch the flight. I think we were there around an hour. In comparison, security was a breeze.

Unfortunately we’d been moved away from the window again, but at least we were together – one bonus was that we were obviously first to check in for the Dublin flight as we got row one!

Our flight was due to leave at 17.20 so we kept an eye on the boards (they said wait at gate) so we walked to the café to get a sandwich for DS in case he didn’t like the food. We had one last drink and waited for the board to change to boarding. But it didn’t.

DD and I went to the restroom just as we heard the call for boarding so we waslked the 50 yards back to the café as DH was walking towards us. That’s when we heard the tannoy….” Smith family – party of 4 – last call” OMG we ran to the gate! We were pretty much last to board, but luckily didn’t get a cheered or clapped. But honestly, it cannot have been more than 2 minutes from the boarding call to the last call!

Soon we were off – everyone except me slept. I watched several films including “In America” which made me cry buckets. I’m so glad it was dark. I also watched Frank on DH’s recomendadtion – what WAS that all about ?

The short hop from Dublin to Birmingham was lovely – row one was the ELR seats – none of us have ever sat at the front before. The taxi was waiting and before we knew it, we were home.

I did write a post with highs and lows straight away, and I think that’s still how I feel. I have had the worst post-holiday blues ever – even our florida blues have never been this bad. This trip has really given me the travel bug and I loved hopping from place to place, but I have to accept that the teens hated that aspect.

I have persuaded DH to book a 7 night Caribbean cruise next August in the hope that it will help with my wanderlust but give the teens some stability too. I should be excited, but a big part of me just wants to be back in California………

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg
Views:	1802
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	57703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	1790
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	57704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140831-00658.jpg
Views:	1827
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	57705  

Edited at 09:07 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

I have really enjoyed your trippie Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, we are hopefully doing the west coast in 2016
Old 30 Sep 14, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cornflakegirl
Excited about Disney

Sorry not to have posted on all your reports but I've read them all and really enjoyed sharing all your highs and lows. I always appreciate when folk are honest in their reports about disagreements and rows as they are inevitable especially with kids in tow. You've given me some great ideas for us next year and also what to avoid so the kids don't moan too much
Old 30 Sep 14, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks so much for reading - I'm glad you've enjoyed my ramblings!
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Capt Wilko
Trying for More Ears

Have just read your whole trip report in one evening and absolutely loved it. Really hope to visit the US west coast soon and your holiday has given me lots of great ideas as will also be travelling with 2 teens. Thanks for sharing your fabulous holiday.
Old 1 Oct 14, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Loved reading your report & I'm sorry it's come to an end.
Some great photos,with stunning scenery & all those memories made,are priceless!
Will keep an eye out,for any future reports
Tracy x
Old 1 Oct 14, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

A lovely report, thank you for sharing. We did the same as you regarding GG but Alamo just billed me and no fine, think 2 crossings came through about £12.

Like you I am now hooked on California and want to go back next year. Depending on your point of view, fortunately or unfortunately it is unlikely our kids will come with us being 18 and 23!
Old 1 Oct 14, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbelll
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your report, really enjoyed reading in.
tinkerbelll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 14, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Loved your trippie - looks like you had a fab time. We are just planning a West Coast trip for next August, so it has been really interesting to read, and I have picked up lots of tips and idea - so thanks

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 14, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Loved reading your report! Thank you for sharing, it's given me some great ideas for our upcoming trip so I'm really grateful! Glad you all had such an amazing time.

K x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List