Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Jan 15, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The 'Bombshell' Trip to NYC @ Christmas. Day 2...

Christmas Day….Yeah!

Typically as always with me and going on holiday I was wide awake at 4am! Yipee…not 

Anyway this gave me the opportunity to play the part of Santa and fill the kid’s stockings, such fun sitting on the cold bathroom floor to do this! I checked in with family and friends on my phone then managed to get some more sleep which was great, think we all woke up around 07.30.

Talking of phones we invested in the ‘Three’ Pay as you go Sims, which is pre-loaded with All-in-One £15 Add-On and gives you All-You-Can-Eat Data, 300 minutes and 3000 texts for up to 30 days. We were able to use this in the US at no extra cost but only to call numbers in the UK and also the data is capped at 25GB. It was a great buy and allowed us to look at maps and apps when we were out and about. We always had a great signal and 3g was fine. It swapped between providers AT&T and T-Mobile.

The kids opened their stockings and then the boys popped out to Starbucks as I was desperate for a cup of tea and the kids fancied hot chocolate. Once back I surprised hubbie with a small gift. As we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary back in October I wanted to update his wedding ring. He now has a lovely titanium ring and was speechless when he opened it, seems we managed to keep the secret well! As a main gift for our daughter and son we gave them $$$.

Once we were showered and dressed (wearing Christmas jumpers of course!) we headed out for breakfast. We walked up through Times Square which was relatively quiet, about the only time this week! We got the honorary photos on the red steps, which was great as another time we passed these they were closed off due to NYE preparations. So as the weather was dry and due to brighten up later were going to visit central park today so we decided on Fluffy’s Café for brekkie. It was a great decision, we loved it. The only problem we had was choosing!

Our well-chosen options…

From here we walked up to the park and entered at the 59th St entrance, by now the sun was shining, it was beautiful. We used FaceTime to speak to family back home and they were very envious of the blue sky and bright sunshine. We took lots of photos and the kids recognised the views from some programme on Disney channel so they were very impressed. I think it was at this point that they also felt like they were part of a film set!

We had purchased ice skating tickets for the Wollman/Trump rink so this is where we walked to next. The rink was being cleaned so we got into the queue ready to go on in the next group. Now the last time my husband went ice skating he fell over and broke his ankle… This was a big thing for him but we were so happy that he wanted to join us. It was a very good system here, grab skates, chuck shoes and bags in a locker and hire a lock. Think it was $11 per hire but you get $6 back so a reasonable price.

We enter the ice with a thousand other people It was chaotic which did deter hubbie but he braved it and clawed his way around, haha! It was crazily busy but great fun. The only complaint I have is, mobile phones and selfie sticks! Now it did state quite clearly at the entrance NO MOBILE PHONES however this was ignored by many. People would just stop mid skate to take a selfie, one man was skating round recording himself whilst using a stick! We did enjoy the skating though and the sun shone for the entire time

Once we had changed back into our normal shoes we headed up towards The Mall and grabbed some drinks (and a pretzel ;-) from a street cart. There were some entertainers performing up on there and they happily grabbed my hubbie to join them! From here we walked up to Bethesda Terrace and the Fountain again getting some great shots of the view. We then walked up to and over Bow Bridge, saw Belvedere Castle and the turtle pond. We exited the park near to AMNH so took some photos of the exterior as it was closed so no queues!

I have visited New York during Autumn/Fall previously as this is my favourite season. I thought Central Park was still stunning in the winter and I felt I saw more without the leaves on the trees! It is my aim to return during spring next time when everything is in bud and bloom.

We jumped on the subway again this time we headed downtown and across to Brooklyn. Here we explored the area and saw the skyline from across the water. It was the kid’s first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, we are due to visit her on Saturday so looking forward to that! We took a stroll along Brooklyn Heights Promenade before turning back and heading towards Squibb Bridge. It was closed I was really upset as we were looking forward to this… Obviously my research wasn’t as good as I thought. Never mind, there’s always next time!

We walked down to DUMBO and admired more views from here, we were lucky with the weather as the sun was still shining although the temperature had dropped slightly. We saw the Freedom Tower, it’s a magnificent building which captures the light superbly and reflects it like little sparkles. From here we popped along to Jane’s Carousel however it was shut, I did check this one and it didn’t say it was closed on the website so another disappointment. There was a family photo-shoot going on here which was fascinating to watch. Our plan now was to walk across Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan so that’s where we headed to next.

We approach the entrance to Brooklyn Bridge for Pedestrians and which was relatively easy to find, just follow the crowds! Now I absolutely love bridges, I don’t know why, I just do. The funny thing is my two biggest fears are heights and water. When I say water what I mean is drowning This is my third time on this bridge but I am yet to make it from one side to the other. My kids were determined to get me across hence going from the Brooklyn side, in their minds I had to get back to Manhattan. My husband managed the ice skating so I have to do this. The kids go in front (as they can’t get lost here!) and my husband has hold of me behind them. And off we go ploughing through the huge crowds. Again the views are absolutely amazing, looking across not down! Well, I managed it! It was relatively easy, I think as it was so busy you just get taken with the masses, I didn’t really have a choice. It was a proud moment! My only complaint is those flipping selfie sticks, they come at you from all angles :angry:

Well, that’s another thing off my bucket list, the bridge walk not the selfie sticks! We stopped at Starbucks near the Woolworth building, just a quick drink and re-charge.

Then we set off for Chinatown. I was quite cross with myself here as I read a TR which recommended trying Dim-Sum at a particular place but I forgot to bring the info with me. I tried to track it using my phone but no luck. We walked around for a while taking in the smells and people shouting Louis Vuitton at us, the kids found this quite funny.

Onto the subway we go, down to Bryant Park and walked across to Grand Central Station. By now it was dusk and I got to see my favourite building all lit up, the Chrysler building. Stunning! It is my wish to go into the lobby on this visit, just hope I make it!

Into CGS we go, it has to be the most beautiful station in the world (well, out of the places I’ve visited anyway!) I had mentioned to the kids about the whispering walls so we head straight to the Oyster bar. Its ‘AMAZEBALLS’ (in the kid’s words!) it really worked and everyone was impressed, lots of people were asking us what we were doing and as we left there were loads of them doing it!

We had a look around and were pleased to see Juniors open so we checked out the cakes for our return visit later in the week!

We leave and head over to Tony Di Napoli which we had booked for our Christmas Dinner. Now obviously in the UK we are used to Turkey and all the trimmings, however we over indulged in this meal in the lead up to our holiday with our families. So Italian it was! It has to be one of the best Italian meals (out of Italy) I have ever had. The service was great as were the frozen Bellinis! We ordered two platters which was plentiful for 4 of us. The bill I believe came to $130 with drinks and tip. Our poor son was so tired he could barely keep his eyes open at the table so we left and went back to the hotel. Think this was the earliest I have ever been to bed on Christmas day!

The pedometer today read 26,666 which is 12.2miles! Phew…

Tomorrow is the Movie Bus Tour…

Edited at 09:33 PM.
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 15, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

So much open on Xmas day!
Old 17 Jan 15, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Really enjoying your report
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 15, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dolphinlou
Imagineer

Great report, your photos are fab
dolphinlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 15, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Great report 😄
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 15, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
What a nice change from sitting in front of the TV LOL.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 15, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Really enjoying your report, looks fab!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 15, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Fab way to spend Christmas day, thank you for sharing!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 15, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
What a lovely Christmas day you had and well done to you for walking across the Brooklyn Bridge
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 15, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
scots minnie
Apprentice Imagineer

scots minnie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Love reading your report 😃