Old 11 Apr 15, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
hillcats
Excited about Disney

hillcats's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Super 8 Anaheim - 415 W Katella Ave

Having recently returned from California we had a wonderful time in the two Disney parks, Universal Hollywood and San Diego Zoo amongst other places, although the overall experience is not as good in our opinion as Florida.

As we were only staying for nine nights I looked at various hotels and eventually settled for and booked the Super 8 at 415 West Katella Ave which had reasonable reviews for a budget hotel, as just somewhere to sleep at night... This was my first mistake !

The night staff had no access to bedding or any cleaning equipment when our daughter was sick during the night and just said there is nothing that can be done and that it will have to wait until the morning for the cleaners! - I stated that this was unacceptable as it was everywhere and I either need another room OR the room cleaned OR at the bare minimum I needed the required equipment to enable me to clean it up myself and I would appreciate help doing so.
Reluctantly one member of the night staff found some towels & a box of tissues and assisted with the clean up process, this was much appreciated and he was tipped accordingly. The night staff at Super8 (415 W Katella Ave) need to have access to cleaning facilities to assist in this situation.
The breakfast room is really tiny and holds 15 seated people max and is not fit for purpose. (very misleading photos on website)
The washing Facilities (3 x washing Machines / 3 x Tumble Dryers / machine supplying powder and bounce sheets) were unreliable as most days at least one machine was out of use.(misleading photos on website, again very small room and not enough machines when considering all the rooms) and when insert money it had a habit of swallowing your money but not working, meaning you had to go to reception to explain the situation to be told that it is "your fault for not doing it properly" by the older gentleman member of staff.
The same older gentleman at reception needs to learn some manners and not get the hump when assistance required as in the case of the machines keeping cash and not working. I asked him to look at a washing machine as it had kept our money, he tried himself and it kept his money but no apology was ever forthcoming !
Swimming pool - More misleading clever photos. This pool is an "after thought" and placed in between access roads to / from hotel rooms - I would not be happy for my kids to swim and play next to people arriving and departing the site and very close to the main road that's for sure.
This selected accommodation was a mistake on my part, and I'm not going to return to this Super 8. Think carefully is my advice.
Old 13 Apr 15, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Have to say I would have to be desperate to ever stop in a Super 8 and I don't think they are that cheap either considering most make a Travelodge look like luxury.

That said I think some of your point apply to many hotels, I've stopped in Best Western's that have tiny dining rooms, they only serve breakfast they don't need to be huge, same with laundry rooms.

And I don't think most Super 8's are geared up for long stays , most seem to be somewhere where people stay for a night whilst passing through rather than for a holiday.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 15, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
hillcats
Excited about Disney

hillcats's Reviews
You're absolutely correct Daytonababe, I made a huge mistake...

Today, I've added an update to Trip Advisor in reply to Super 8 Management's replies:

Super8 (415 W Katella) Extremely Poor Service (See Review)
today, 22:33

FOLLOW UP TO MANAGEMENT REPLIES: 28 August 2015

I refer to my review with the link below:

tripadvisor/ShowUse...ECK_RATES_CONT

“Super 8 (415 W Katella) poor service and not so super when our daugter was sick !”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 23 April 2015

As I'm unable to reply further to the management response within the public review I will need to do it within the forum, alerting other possible users of the issues we experienced at this Super 8.

Super8k, General Manager at Super 8 Anaheim/Near Disneyland, responded to this review, 28 April 2015

Thank you for the review. I do have to clarify some statements that you have made that are in no way correct and I feel I must correct those statements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AGMK P) 1- The night staff had no access to bedding or any cleaning equipment when our daughter was sick during the night and just said there is nothing that can be done and that it will have to wait until the morning for the cleaners!

(SUPER8) This is not correct. When in deed our housekeeping staff would be arriving in the morning, our 24 hour front desk staff does indeed have access to bedding and cleaning equipment at all times, including in the night.

(AGMK P) I am stating EXACTLY what your front desk staff told me, and EXACTLY what happened on the night in question. If they do have access then they certainly didn't want to access it to help clear up the vomit everywhere in our room... My first statement is factual and I stand by this comment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AGMK P) 2- Reluctantly one member of the night staff found some towels & a box of tissues and assisted with the clean up process.

(SUPER8) This is not correct, as our front desk staff member was more than happy to assist, and he also provided you with extra clean and new sheets, blankets and new pillows which you fail to mention.

(AGMK P) The two members of front desk staff on duty that night were extremely rude and started talking in front of me in a language I couldn't understand, they were NOT more than happy to assist and once they had decided who was going to assist me with the clear up, they ONLY provided some towels and a box of tissues and then assisted me to clear up with just those items, nothing more - nothing less...

We WERE NOT provided with extra clean and new sheets / blankets / pillows, I didn't mention it because it didn't happen. Your statement is an OUTRIGHT LIE as WE WERE NOT PROVIDED with any replacement sheets / blankets / pillows that night. Again, I stand by this comment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AGMK P) 3-The breakfast room is really tiny and holds 15 seated people max and is not fit for purpose. (very misleading photos on website)

(SUPER8) This is not correct, actually the breakfast area has 50 chairs inside as well as additional seating outside on our sun deck, allowing for more than adequate seating as the breakfast hours are from 6 am to 9 am. All photos listed on the Super 8 website are indeed correct and are not misleading.

(AGMK P) There is absolutely NO WAY that 50 people could be seated at a table to eat food in that tiny little breakfast room, the only way you may get 50 chairs inside that room is if they are stacked up in piles. I am unable to comment about the sun deck as we never went up there. Again, I stand by this comment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AGMK P) 4-The washing Facilities (3 x washing Machines / 3 x Tumble Dryers / machine supplying powder and bounce sheets) were unreliable as most days at least one machine was out of use.(misleading photos on website, again very small room and not enough machines when considering all the rooms) Machines keeping cash and not working

(SUPER8) This is incorrect as well as most days machines are working properly and photos on the website are not misleading, it shows 3 washers and 3 dryers. And any cash that you say you lost was indeed refunded.

AGMK P) Maybe the machines are just unreliable during the month of April then ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AGMK P) 5- Swimming pool - More misleading clever photos. This pool is an "after thought" and placed in between access roads to / from hotel rooms

(SUPER8) The pool was put in when the property was established and it was not an "after thought" and all photos on our website are correct and not misleading. And the pool is no where near the main road.

(AGMK P) Hmm, ok !

(AGMK P) 6- The staff didn't care about our two children or us (2 adults) and were quite happy for us all to remain overnight in a smelly vomit filled room with it all over the floor and walls.

(SUPER8) This too is incorrect as our staff went over and above to assist in cleaning up after your ill child and provided extra bedding so you could sleep in a clean room after this unfortunate incident of a sick child in the night.

(AGMK P) I refer you to the comments above where your staff said "that it will have to wait until the morning for the cleaners! " as they had no access to cleaning materials or bedding...

The vomit was indeed scrapped off of the floor / wiped off the wall by myself and one member of your front desk staff, using the towels and tissues provided and the old sheets were then dumped outside onto the balcony even though the staff member seemed to think that we must keep them in our room until the morning - I don't think so pal ! - We were still left in a VOMIT SMELLING ROOM overnight as we had no proper cleaning agents to spray / freshen up the floor or walls of the vomit smell...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tripadvisor.co.uk/…

Edited at 11:00 PM.
hillcats is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 15, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
sorry you had such a bad experience-we travel to the US regularly for road trips
and have only experienced a Super 8 once near Denver airport-never again!

I had booked it for the start and end of our trip and cancelled the end stay to book a trusted Hampton Inn instead

by the way-apart from the Super 8 being poor-what was the location on West Katella like for access to Disneyland?

I'm off there in 2 weeks and we are staying in Hotel Indigo 435 West Katella?
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 15, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
hillcats
Excited about Disney

hillcats's Reviews
We enjoy regular trips to the US, we're currently planning our return to Orlando along with New York and Las Vegas trips sometime during 2016 & 2017 - lots of overtime!

Location Wise - the walk to Disney from W Katella is a really short pleasant walk, say 15 mins. There is a CVS at the intersection and you need to walk down towards 7-Eleven along Harbor Blvd.
Do make sure you eat at Bubba Gump, this is a smashing restaurant, and don't forget the Cheesecake Factory. These are both a short walk along W Katella Ave. Have Fun.

Oh, I forgot to add - make sure you ask for a ride in the front of the Monorail with the driver... Its still allowed in Anaheim unlike Orlando if you board at the shopping centre end, near AMC cinema then you're allowed to complete a round trip...
All the best.

Edited at 12:24 AM.
hillcats is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 15, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

So sorry you had such a bad time in that hotel, so awful when the kids are are sick on holiday and you just need people to help and be nice.
TBH I too like Daytonababe would not stay in a Super 8 for a long stay but I also have stayed in a motel 6 for one night which was basic but great. It is hard to weigh up cost versus the time in your room and it sounds like you did just that as you had a packed itinerary.
So I hope the one night and the washing facilities didn't mar the rest of the stuff you did away from the room! It sounds like it didn't as California is so great in other ways.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List