Old 16 May 15, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The Moretons Amazing California Adventure - Day 4

DAY 4 – SANTA MONICA

Massive lie in today as the boys were up at 6.30am, which to be fair is the time they are up every day at home. Everybody filled up on toast, scrambled eggs, cereal and funny looking baked beans. We packed up the car with beach toys, body boards and of course a football.

Today we were off to Santa Monica, for a bit of beach time and a look round. Lee programmed Kurt and we were on our way by 8.45am. We had a very smooth journey until we got about 10 to 15 miles away and then suddenly there were cars everywhere. Despite the traffic we still arrived before 10am, we wanted to park near the beach as that where we intended to spend most of our time. After 10 minutes of driving around we found the beachside car park. It was only $6 for all day parking which we thought was a bargain.

We decided to have a walk along the pier before going to the beach. We walked right to the end, watched a few people fish and looked over the ocean.

We spotted the ice cream parlour had opened so we couldn’t walk past without sampling what they had on offer. While we were sat down we noticed a Warner Bros truck on the pier.

It turned out they were filming a pilot show for a new American TV show. There were signs up everywhere warning you may be on TV but you wouldn’t be paid for it.

There was also a TV set on the beach, which we think was for the same show.

Anyway the ice creams were very nice. We couldn’t keep the boys off the beach any longer so we went back to the car to grab our gear and set up camp.

It was quite windy but still very pleasant with hardly a cloud in the sky, we went for a paddle in the ocean but it was quite chilly,

so decided to build some sandcastles. Whilst we were doing this we witness a giant Seagull attack and kill a pigeon! Eventually someone scared it away but it was to late for the pigeon.

After a couple hours of playing football, paddling and building sandcastles we were ready to eat.

We put our stuff back in the car and went in search of some food. We walked to the top of the pier and took some pics.

It’s fair to say there were some funny characters around. A lot of homeless people. We walked back onto the pier and saw the carousel but unfortunately it was closed on a Tuesday. We ended up eating at a beachside café called the Carousel Café. The service there was sloooooooow we waited 45 minutes for our order which was only a mixture of hot dogs and sandwiches. They did have a sign up advertising for staff. When the boys are hungry and they have to wait for food they are not the most patient kids in the world. They entertained themselves by chasing pigeons and generally annoying each other, which made the wait seem longer. There were not many seats, it was all outdoor seating and not a lot of shade either.

After lunch we walked around a bit more, the beach was now packed and it was very hot. Santa Monica was nice but it is not somewhere we would base ourselves. We were definitely glad we visited.

We started our journey back home around 3pm, traffic was quite bad but we were always moving. Lucas slept almost the whole way home.
We called into Wal-Mart on the way back as we needed some batteries for my Dads camera. He had lent it to me for the holiday as it’s a fancy camera and mine was now quite old. However, we hadn’t been able to get it to turn on since arriving so thought new batteries might help. I also got some new sunglasses. There were lots of Easter gifts in Wal-Mart. We were back in the house before 6pm. We were off to Disney tomorrow so wanted an early night. We fitted the new, quite expensive batteries into the camera, but sadly no luck we could now get it on but with error messages all over it. I was really disappointed and contacted my dad back home but he didn’t know what was wrong with it. We had to give up on the fancy camera and stick with my quote old one (which I grabbed last minute, as a thought for the kids! ). We decided on a take away for dinner as none of us really fancied going to a restaurant, so Lee and I nipped to pizza hut, Sue doesn’t eat pizza so I popped to KFC for Sue.

As Lucas had slept in the car he was wide-awake but Jacob was shattered, all the adults were glowing and had caught the sun at the beach. My feet were especially red and sore. We just bumbled about in the house not really doing much before going to bed, as tomorrow was DISNEYLAND.

I love this rather artistic shot i took - had to share it with you
LLKJDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 15, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Another lovely day, great weather, not good having sore feet though. Pussycat x
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 15, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Enjoying reading all your reports so far thank you
Old 17 May 15, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Fab trippie so far - that time difference is a killer isn't it! Looking forward to the rest 😀
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 15, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Thanks for reading along
LLKJDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 15, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Lovely day, we really like Santa Monica beach although we only had about 45 minutes there. Traffic in LA is crazy isn't it!?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Finally starting to catch up on your reports, Kerry! Nice day overall at Santa Monica. I like it there, for a quick visit, but I agree with you that it's not somewhere I would want to base myself. It's been a few years since I last went, but I remember there being a lot of homeless around then too. Lovely pics of your day, glad you got to visit there because it is one of the nicer spots in LA.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List