Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 3 Jul 15, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mr and Mrs T's West Coast Tour - Day 16

Wake today as silly o’clock again. For some reason I have really struggled to get a decent nights sleep. Maybe it is the bed hopping!
First order of the day was a nice cup of coffee. Credit to Holiday Inn Express they not only supplied a coffee maker but a kettle as well. Nice touch.

After the fantastic time we have had today was a day we were both dreading. Going home!

The hotel only had a small foyer but still laid on a hot breakfast. We wandered down and was really surprised at what was on offer. Biscuits, turkey sausage, bacon, cereal, fruit, muffins. A really good choice. We had our fill and returned to the room.

Took the 2 cases and the holdall that we had brought with us down to the car along with the carry on bags.
Then checked out and had nothing extra to pay.

The plan was to take a slow drive up the PCH and to visit Half Moon Bay before going onto the airport. Set off out of Monterey and before too long we were passing fields of fruit and vegetables. Lots of them. I think we might have been near the Del Monte factory.

Very soon we were driving through Salinas. Problem was we did not want to be anywhere near Salinas – I had taken the wrong turn somewhere. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Britney!

Pulled into a shopping mall and had a word with Britney who told us the easiest way to get back onto Highway 1 was to go back to Monterey and turn north. This we did and made our way up the highway.

This part of the drive was not as scenic as we had hoped the road was quite a way from coast so all we saw was the ocean but very little coastline.

The closer we got to Half Moon Bay the closer the coastline became. And it was so lovely as well.

Because I had taken the wrong turn earlier we decided that due to time we would bypass Half Moon Bay and head straight for the airport. That decision was made a lot easier by getting caught up in a very long gueue due to roadworks.

At bit more countryside before we got close to the airport. Traffic was getting a bit heavy now but before long we were pulling in to the car rental returns. Empty the boot of the cases and off we walked to the airtrain that would take us to the International Departures.

On checking the mileage on the car we had roughly done just over 1,200 miles in eight days. Not bad!

Found the Virgin check in and walked to the PE desk. Got the seats that we had pre booked a few weeks ago. All 3 bags were well within the 23kg limit so we said our goodbyes and hoped to see them again the next day at Heathrow.

Through security when we had our only moment of sheer panic. Put the hand luggage, trainers etc through the x-ray machine and walked through the scanner. Both through OK.

Everything came out apart from my backpack which had the passports, camera etc.

Stood and waited but it did not come through. We both went into complete panic mode. Looked around to see if anyone had taken it but could not see it.

Elaine managed to get the attention of a TSA agent who then pointed out that the bagpack had been pulled to one side for extra attention. Panic over but we were seriously concerned at one point!

The agent showed me what was the cause of the concern. He emptied the bagpack and after giving it a good swab informed us that everything was OK and we were able to get on our way.

Wanted to eat before the flight so found a sandwich shop. Nice sandwich, filled a hole.

Walked to the Gate A3 where we saw that Lady Penelope would be taking us home. What we liked about the San Francisco gate we were at was that you could either sit upstairs or downstairs where the entrance to the plane was. We sat upstairs so we could use the toilets before boarding.

Soon the boarding time of 17.05 came round so we moved downstairs to find that the whole area round the desks were crowded by people hoping to get on the plane first!

When PE was called we had a bit of a battle to get to the entrance but eventually we were boarding the plane and make ourselves comfortable in seats 30H and K which were situated opposite the galley.

Took off 15 minutes early with a full plane and once up in the air the pilot banked round over the Golden Gate Bridge. What a fantastic sight!

Very attentive crew. The two who were looking after our PE section were very good, plenty of drinks during the flight for anyone who was unable to sleep – ME!

With regards to inbound food I have to say it was very good. No complaints from us on that score. As is normal when they serve the evening meal we hit turbulence for about an hour. Nothing major but had to watch the drinks.

Elaine managed to get a bit of sleep but I just nodded and ended up reading my kindle fire.

Time seem to fly by and before too long the lights were being put on and the breakfast was being served. In PE we had a cooked breakfast of bacon, hashbrowns, tomato and scrambled egg. It was very tasty and we did enjoy it.

We had to circle Heathrow a couple of times before finally coming down and landing. Off the plane fairly quickly and made our way to the very happy border control staff. They looked as though they were really happy in their job! Totally different to the staff we had encountered at Las Vegas and San Francisco who were a absolute pleasure to deal with.

Along to the baggage reclaim and carousel No 7. Luggage did take while to come out but had a real shock when it did start to appear. The first 3 pieces out were ours. Amazing!

Exited arrivals and Elaine called our ride home. The taxi driver that Elaine uses for business trips for colleagues at work was unavailable so he used a colleague and before long Roger arrived and introduced himself. Really nice gent. Down to the car park where his had parked up and before long we were on our way round the M25 and home.

Arrived home and said our goodbyes to Roger before taking the cases upstairs and beginning the task of sorting out the washing!
Eldest son, his partner, young grandson Dylan and granddaughter Caitlin arrived soon after and had brought us some milk which was greatly appreciated as we were in desperate need of a decent cup of tea. It was really nice to see them especially Dylan and Caitlin.

They stayed a while before leaving which enabled me to put a few loads of washing on and sort out the various things we had brought for the children.

Elaine did us spaghetti Bolognese for tea and we settled down to watch a bit of TV and try and stay up as late as possible. Bed finally called at 10.30 p.m. which was very good for us.
Old 4 Jul 15, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Dissie
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Great report and some amazing pictures x
Old 5 Jul 15, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Really loved your report, brought back so many lovely memories for us, thank you so much for taking the time to share. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 15, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wonderful trip, thanks for taking the time to write it all up for us
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I haven't commented on any of your other reports but found them all extremely enjoyable.

Your final 2 days are a replica of my trip this coming September, I to will be staying in the HI at Monterey and then driving a part of the PCH before travelling onto SFO for my Virgin flight.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 15, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
siuk33
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much for writing this trip report, it was really well written and easily readable, I've just read all 16 days!
I also found it really helpful as we are visiting many of those areas in October for the first time. You have also made me think I need to start planning some things before we go in order to get the most out of the trip!
Thanks for all your helpful tips and so glad you had an amazing trip
Karen
Old 11 Aug 15, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post

There is a house in Half Moon Bay with my name on it. Should I ever settle in the USA that is where it would be. And just 30 minutes from San Francisco!

Loved the trip report - glad you had a great time in CA.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List