Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 26 Jul 15, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Meet me in the Land of Hope and Dreams -DAY 27- A Fantasmically Frozen finish to Disney.

Welcome Back - Just a couple more days to go and this report will be complete, hope you have enjoyed sharing the magic of 2014 with us.
Thank you all so much those who have left a comment - it has meant I have got this far and has been the drive needed to get to the end of a mammoth 4 week trip report.

Today was our final Disney Day- never a good feeling but it was finale day 3

Previously - DAY 26 is here

Index of the whole trip ( just in case you have missed the fun so far) is here.

If you are interested in reading previous rambling stuff that you do on a holiday - then the 2013 trip report is here.

Welcome to ...

Sunday 24th August 2014

Planned Fp's today

Disneys' Hollywood Studios

Tower of Terror 10.00- 11.00
Star Tours 11.00- 12.00
Tou Story mania 12.05.1.05

Our very last Disney Day

We were up early and having already packed it was a sprint start to the day.
We had initially envisaged using a usually quiet morning at DHS as a starting point for our day and then park hopping to MK for the end of the day.
What we had experienced over the last 3 weeks was nothing short of frozenly fantastic.
With two boys you never quite know how they would respond to what was on offer -well they did and we can be but thankful that they did as we were on our final day and so much has changed since we actually experienced today that the memories with the DHS / MGM Hat are now just memories.
the Frozen Summer at DHS reminded me somewhat of Summer Nightastic in 2010 - big fireworks and then a parade slipping off the radar forever - Spectromagic was never seen again:angry:

And so last summer big fireworks and the whole park now finds itself a shadow of it's former self but without the shadow of a big hat!
Changing times but given that we still have to wait until next month ( August 2015) to find anything out it seems strange that the main Icon of the park has gone and the size of the actual park has been reduced significantly with the closure of the Backlot Tour and many many other elements too.
I have previously mentioned the art of animation but it will be a huge miss this summer and I just don't get the wholesale closure thing with very little being done instead - Cost saving? Surely not

It is such a shame as today would be the last time we would ever see Disney's Hollywood Studios in it's current form - or name!

Ok rant over!
Back to being Frozened!

Now that was not really how today started, but I'm glad I had my chance to say that this summer had been 'the best summer EVER! ' in DHS

The focus on so many elements of making every day special and the night time fireworks simply gave this park a real purpose one which we had only experienced before at Christmas.
Maybe that is what will come in the future but for now this was our day...

An early start (I think I said that before digressing!)
We were parked in the Television parking lot together with CM's who were arriving for work - which themn meant we did not even have to cross the tram lane to get to the 'secret' bag check entrance to DHS. Not into the park but it is always quiet and saves a bit of time - handy tip if you have never been that way before

Once again the park opened early 8.45 again but the pre show waiting whilst some guy talked to Olaf was somewhat shorter - we were walked in a rather controlled line to our first port of call.

Rock 'n'Roller Coaster first preshow of the day and second ride an d no plan of photo either!

We hurried round again and caught the single rider line amid the growing standby queue - as we rode again - Joe and I managed to get in the back row together - best place on the ride we spotted Neill and family in the standby queue - unfortunately that was just as we about to be jettisoned into Aerosmith-ville with Joe singing 'Dude looks like a lady' all the way round.
It was now 9am!

We headed to Tower of Terror and enjoyed a couple of non queuing rides before be bumped in to Neil and family again.
We all had an upcoming Fp for ToT and agreed that this would be a fab way of being able to record our Disney Meeting again.

Now for those who have read all the way through the report and possibly at some of our Memory Maker pics - we were top trumped today.

NO idea who they were but his remains one of my favourite photos of the whole trip - and there we were being good

Video is here too just click on the black box to view

If only the couple on the front were aware that rather than just a pic we had a video too - she could have smacked him one on video

As we shared our goodbyes, we headed for something for breakfast.
A quick stop off at Starring Rolls was the order of the day and we had a pastry and coffee ( boys having the usual apple juice) - a great place to watch the world pass you by but we knew we did not have time for that sort of thing today!
Anna and Elsa passed on their parade ttype thing - which then stopped at the stage in front of the hat that used to be in front of a Chinese theatre - I'm going to have to find a new way of describing that area now!
We booked ourselves in for the sing along with Frozen and were ticketed accordingly - precision ticketing and queue lines herewith lots of tape on the floor too.
We were now in time for Star Tours and managed a meeting with Mike and Sulley too

Before heading to our TSM Fp - we managed to get to meet Buzz and Woody too - although some of these pics from the queue are even better as they are different and look fab too.

We then enjoyed TSM as always and a very evenly fought game saw me just beat Josh - but not by much - more practice needed I think.

Having used all FP's we got one for later on R'n'R it was not until early evening so we had a chance to explore some more.
We did the singalong and despite our video being drowned out by a group of tone deaf Americans we enjoyed it immensely - can see why they have replaced American Idol with it as it was so good and interactive too.

Frozenly inspired we then went skating- now this has not returned for 2015 probably due to the amount of nail damage Joe did to the rail in simply clinging on for sheer life.

I was sheer life He just could not cope with the whole thing at all - imagine Bambi on ice and you get the idea.

No Joe is the one behind- with Alison trying to keep him on two legs!

and even resorting to the no rail was not much better!

Josh fared a little better

Until the concentration went - we were all outdone by a boy who was from the Uk and had mastered the art of skating - to such an extent he was holding the eye of everyone as he went about his routine.

HE was in total control and in complete command of his skates - unlike ours - amazing to watch and as he comes from the Uk I hope he manages to use his talent - he was superb to watch as Josh then had a couple of heavy falls as our half hour drew to a close, the latter one allowing him some concern from a couple of CM's who patrolled the rink - it was one of those occasions when you see what is happening and you are not quite prepared for the thud. It was an almighty thud
I think it has put the two of them off ice skating for life
They were both sore as they left the ice -unlike our resident Ice hockey try out player! Pass me the stick please!

A rather relieved two boys exited the building - they had finally met their nemesis - all the coasters in all of the park shold no fear but put a pair of skate son them and I'm sure the answer would be an emphatic no!

All of the ice skating photos came from a card given by a Memory maker photographer - a bit like meeting Belle in Mk or the Jedi training photos.

As we exited we were hit by the heat of the day and the light too -a darkened ice rink for nearly an hour plays with your eyes!

We then sought refuge in one of my very favourite places in DHS - and again one that will not be there very long if rumours and current closures are anything to go by.

One Man's Dream

I'm sure many of you have 'walked' / run past it on the way to TSM or indeed just don't know it is there.
Every person who enters this place should be made to walk through and just watch the film.

The models and the display of how the original films are worth it alone - the boys were given a quiz by a very informative CM - history in it's finest form and one that with discussion with both children you get a perspective as to why this whole place is here and how a genius thought of it in the first place.

A great reward for the boys as the doors closed on the film

A poignant reminder that Walt never had it easy throughout his life and the effort made on making this place what it is today.

So thought provoking and appreciated by the 4 of us.

We then had a conundrum- stay or go?

Given we have never found any nice food option in the park we opted for the go option.
We headed back to the villa and just 30 mins into a swim the weather turned so we knew we had made the right choice - a change of clothes and a visit to Longhorns for a magnificent Rib eye steak and a meal the was just $80
Great food and a that price it made so much sense in coming out of the park just to eat.

As we headed back into the park we got a reminder of it all

We headed to TSM more in hope than anything else and were not deterred by the 50 mins posted wait time - it was 7.30 and the ride closed at 8 due to the fireworks. We took the risk!
After some great interaction with Mr Potato Head we rode just 26 mins after joining the queue!

And so to our final Fast pass on R'n'R

and then the fireworks
We found a new spot and one that had caught me as a good spot for photos on our last visit

A great ending to the holiday and just as the fireworks finished so the rain started - we really thought this was going to be it for the night

We sheltered for around 20 mins and just simply ventured up to the Fantasmic gate to ask if the show was going to happen tonight - no lightning in the area and the rain had stopped.
We were go for the ending we had dreamed of -

Home made glowing with the show

and a pic to befit the occasion

And then it was over

We had had the most brilliant view tonight and the most wonderful day to round it all off - it lacked the deep emotions we felt on Friday, but we all simply acknowledged just one thing.

Best Summer Ever? you bet!

It has been a blast - as we got in the car and filled up with petrol that I had calculated would leave us on fumes in reaching Fort Lauderdale

It was late and we had just done Wishes , Illuminations, Frozen Fireworks and Fantasmic to finish it all off.
As we put the news on the Volcano news was downgraded from red so maybe we would be going home after all - but not before one final little surprise

The Final Finale is here!

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 01:29 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

A perfect last day in the parks.
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A Fantastic day

Joan
Old 26 Jul 15, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok the pics on the ice were a little bit funny! Those two bravest of brave boys looking unsure, poor wee souls! Just the thought of their relieved faces when you left! Brilliant last day in parks, cannot believe you are doing it all again very soon...please do another trippie!
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Fantastic day and your 2 boys did better than me when I tried ice skating many years ago
Old 27 Jul 15, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Sounds and looks a really wicked day and night.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 15, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The pictures of the fireworks over the hat are fabulous.

Closing One Man's Dream would just be disrespectful in my eyes. This perhaps sounds a tad dramatic but I just think he deserves somewhere we pay tribute to him after all he's given us.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 15, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
A really fab last full day and we loved being a small part of it. No planning to be there at the same time and certainly no planning of Fastpasses but it turned out a brilliant coincidence that out ToT times crossed!

I am sure I have a photo of you all in the car at RnR somewhere and when I have more time I will search for it!

I loved seeing the photos of the ice skating! I shouldn't laugh at Joe but

A great finish to the day as well getting another superb spot for Frozen fireworks and then seeing Fantasmic one last time!
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 15, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
A perfect last day in the parks.

It was amazing and looking back again on the photos has been a spark for this trip too. thank you for reading and enjoy your upcoming trip too

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A Fantastic day

Joan
Thanks Joan

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Ok the pics on the ice were a little bit funny! Those two bravest of brave boys looking unsure, poor wee souls! Just the thought of their relieved faces when you left! Brilliant last day in parks, cannot believe you are doing it all again very soon...please do another trippie!
Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Fantastic day and your 2 boys did better than me when I tried ice skating many years ago
Where did all those old ice skating rinks go ?
Boys are glad it is not going to appear in 2015!

Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Sounds and looks a really wicked day and night.
It was a fab day- Thanks for reading and for posting too

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
The pictures of the fireworks over the hat are fabulous.

Closing One Man's Dream would just be disrespectful in my eyes. This perhaps sounds a tad dramatic but I just think he deserves somewhere we pay tribute to him after all he's given us.
Thank you for noticing the photos They are some of my favourites of the whole trip and made even more special by the fact there is no longer a hat!
100% agree with your opinion of One Man's Dream - the very minute the current Disney Organisation forget where it all began ( which is highly possible some day soon) then it will be a sad day . At least the two of us understand what it means

Originally Posted by Reetser View Post
A really fab last full day and we loved being a small part of it. No planning to be there at the same time and certainly no planning of Fastpasses but it turned out a brilliant coincidence that out ToT times crossed!

I am sure I have a photo of you all in the car at RnR somewhere and when I have more time I will search for it!

I loved seeing the photos of the ice skating! I shouldn't laugh at Joe but

A great finish to the day as well getting another superb spot for Frozen fireworks and then seeing Fantasmic one last time!

To be able to share a ToT video and pic was fab - shame the couple at the front stole the glory!
Glad you laughed at Joe - I was getting rather short of patience telling him you need to let the skate glide rather than walking -he just did not get it

Frozen Fireworks and Fantastic were just the icing on the cake - three nights in a row -Wishes, Illuminations and now this
Does not get much better at all

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List