Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 26 Sep 15, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lolly90
Excited about Disney

California & Las Vegas Road Trip Aug/Sep 15! Day 7 - Whale Watching & Driving the PCH

Index

Previous Day

Thursday 3rd September 2015

Up around 7:00 today and had Poptarts and a coffee, from the Keurig coffee maker in the room, for breakfast. The coffee wasn’t that great, but it was still a handy machine to have. We decided to check out now, as we weren’t 100% sure what time we would be back. We decided to leave our luggage at reception, rather than in the car.

We left at 8:00 and took a lovely stroll down to the wharf area, heading for our whale watching tour. It was warm and sunny today but I had my jacket on expecting it to get cold on the boat. I really liked this area, it was a real shame we didn’t have more time to explore.

We got to Princess Monterey and had to wait a few moments before boarding the boat. It was while before the boat actually left and we were sitting with the sun directly on us Anyway, the boat left just after 9:00. It took just under an hour before we found any whales; thankfully the sea was relatively calm and once the boat was on the move we were getting a good breeze.

We reached a spot where the tours had been going for the past couple of days, which was a great feeding ground apparently. Well it certainly was; we saw so many Humpback Whales and some of them got quite close too, which was amazing. We also saw a few Common Dolphins and Otters.

There were some kayakers out there too; they got a little too close to the Whales for me.

We stayed watching the whales for about 50 mins before heading back. Overall, it was a really great experience; we were very lucky to see so many whales. I’d definitely recommend Princess Monterey, the boats are a good size and the staff are really friendly. Our only issue was that the whales were all situated on the left hand side of the boat, so at first there was a bit of shoving to try and get to the front to see them. It would have been better if the boat could have circled the area a little.

We arrived back to the wharf at 12:00 and headed back towards the hotel. We stopped at Starbuck’s on the way and also made another stop at Ike’s This time we just got one sandwich to share, which was the Stephen Jenkins. This was turkey, provolone and pesto and cost $10. It was still tasty but we both preferred the ones we went for in San Francisco.

We got our luggage and some petrol, before leaving Monterey at about 13:00. We started heading down the Pacific Coast Highway and pulled into a stop pretty soon to eat our sandwich and enjoy the beautiful views.

We certainly pulled over a lot on this drive, not wanting to miss anything and we really wanted to take our time.

Our first major stop was Bixby Bridge. It was really busy here, so we had to park across the road. We stopped for a little while and got some great photos. We continued a little and stopped for some views back of the bridge and coast line.

Our next stop was just after Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, for McWay Falls. The beach and waterfall are so beautiful, definitely my favourite part of the drive.

We finally reached Elephant Seal Beach at 17:00, another stop that was really busy. We watched them for a while, there wasn't a lot of movement from them apart from covering themselves with the sand, keeping cool

We arrived in Pismo Beach at 18:30 and checked into our hotel, The Sandcastle Inn. This was my favourite hotel of the trip, I loved the design of the room and we had a lovely view of the beach and pier.

We relaxed on the balcony for a while and watched the sunset. I was really glad we made it in time to watch.

After this we got ready and headed out for dinner. We walked along the decking that follows the beach and then arrived at Giuseppe's Italian 10 mins later. It was really busy here, so we got told there was a 25 min wait for a table. We decided to sit near the bar and get a drink each. Total $16.00.

We had literally just sat down when we were told our table was ready, which was good They brought us some bread and an amazing dip. It was olive oil, balsamic vinegar, galic and cheese, so tasty. For mains, Mark had spaghetti and meatballs and I had Rigatoni with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes. We both really enjoyed this meal, would highly recommend it.

I really wanted to get a dessert but I was too full again So we paid $37.80 plus tip and took a slow walk back to the hotel and called it a night.

Next: Day 8 - Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara & Malibu

Edited at 08:05 PM.
Lolly90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 15, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great day again, seems you had better luck than us with the whales

Fab that you had another Ikes and your hotel in Pismo looks great, isnt the sunset there incredible!?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Great day! We did the Princess trip too - just brilliant and would love to do it again. Your Pismo hotel looks wonderful.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 15, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Absolutely beautiful photos - I must admit I think I prefer the look of the beach views to Yosemite. Food looks lovely too
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 15, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney89
Imagineer

Your whale watching trip looked amazing! Great sunset photos too

Las Vegas & California - 2014
Orlando - 2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2010/2013/2014/2017
lovedisney89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 15, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
I am really enjoying your trip report and was just looking at the Sandcastle Inn for our trip next summer, glad you liked it
Old 1 Oct 15, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
MissB87
slightly serious Dibber

What a great day. Those views!
MissB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
You did the PCH highway correctly - stopping many times along the route and having sandwich and snacks with you - that's what we should have done.

We stayed in Seaventure in Pismo - but as soon as I saw the sandcastle hotel thought it looked really amazing. We loved Pismo.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 15, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Lolly90
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Great day again, seems you had better luck than us with the whales

Fab that you had another Ikes and your hotel in Pismo looks great, isnt the sunset there incredible!?
It really is down to luck what you get to see, we were there at a good time thankfully

I was very happy to make it for the beautiful sunset, after your recommendation

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Great day! We did the Princess trip too - just brilliant and would love to do it again. Your Pismo hotel looks wonderful.
That's so good you done the trip too, fantastic experience!

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Absolutely beautiful photos - I must admit I think I prefer the look of the beach views to Yosemite. Food looks lovely too
The highway along the coast is so beautiful. Not sure I could choose which views I preferred

Originally Posted by lovedisney89 View Post
Your whale watching trip looked amazing! Great sunset photos too
It was, we were so lucky with how many whales we saw

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
I am really enjoying your trip report and was just looking at the Sandcastle Inn for our trip next summer, glad you liked it
Thank you It was my favourite hotel, would definitely recommend it!

Originally Posted by MissB87 View Post
What a great day. Those views!
Amazing views, aren't they!?

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
You did the PCH highway correctly - stopping many times along the route and having sandwich and snacks with you - that's what we should have done.

We stayed in Seaventure in Pismo - but as soon as I saw the sandcastle hotel thought it looked really amazing. We loved Pismo.
That's the thing I would recommend most to others, is to stop as many times as possible. Especially for the driver, they may miss things otherwise

We looked at Seaventure too, both are in great locations!
Lolly90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 15, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
What a fab whale watching trip. I REALLY want to do that. Off to read more

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List