Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Feb 16, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

We'd Better Visit the Mouse! Day 11 - 2nd Oct 2015 - Hollywood Studios

Today's Vlog:

Hollywood Studios was now, water parks excepted, the only Disney park we hadn't visited. Time to make amends! It was going to be a pretty long day as we wanted to catch Fantasmic that evening, so again we didn't start as early and arrived to a reasonably busy park.

First stop was over to the Great Movie Ride which was a bit of fun. We enjoyed the Alien dropping from the ceiling and the animatronic Wicked Witch. Some of the cast member acting was a bit wooden though!

Next up a ride I was looking forward to. I'm not an obsessive fan of Star Wars but it's definitely one of my favourite series. I was actually wearing a Star Wars shirt today, so Star Tours was definitely on my 'To ride' list. I really enjoyed this, some rides just make me chuckle and Star Tours had me smiling the whole way through. We checked out the shop at the end of the ride thinking that was the new Watto's Grotto... I remember thinking 'It's not that big!'

After watching the Jedi Academy I decided to grab a funnel cake as I hadn't yet eaten breakfast. I settled for one covered in cinnamon sugar and it was very nice, but very sickly. Perhaps next time I'll have some ice cream or something on it instead. Gemma says hot chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I think I agree with Gemma.

We spent much of the day wandering around the park. We didn't have a whole lot that we wanted to do. But we did have a lot of time to fill. We wandered streets of America and enjoyed the small side shows. We had a feeling it might be the first and last time that we saw a lot of this park as so much future development is in the pipeline.

We did have a fast pass for Tower of Terror, however... But Gem's dad ducked out at the last minute. Unfortunately it seems that some of his relatives had got to him before we could convince him that it wasn't too bad a ride (not that we knew, of course!)

We absolutely loved it. We were lucky enough to get front row, towards the middle. So we can clearly be seen on the photograph having fun! We did have an idea about what the ride did, but didn't have any idea about the other elements. We were really impressed!

From here we decided to check out Rock N Roller Coaster, it had been showing anything between 15 and 50 minutes all day. Of course as we checked it was more like 50, so we agreed to join the single rider queue and see how we got along. As it turns out we rode maybe two trains apart and the queue was only around ten to fifteen minutes for us. Gemma shared her car with a rather miffed single rider who had gone through the main queue and waited nearly an hour. Always worth checking for a single rider queue if you don't mind being split up!

Our next fast pass was for the Indiana Jones show. We are pretty sure that we didn't need to fast pass this, but Gemma's dad is a huge fan and we wanted to make sure we got good seats. The show was great fun, but seeing this means that we missed the Lights, Stunts, Action show which has just been announced as closing. I can't say I'm too disappointed to be honest. I've seen both shows on YouTube and I think we made the right choice.

Our last fast pass of the day was for Toy Story Midway Mania. We had a couple of hours to kill before, however, so we decided to wander again and stumbled upon the actual Watto's Grotto. Yep, it's big... Cavernous maybe. More Star Wars merchandise than you can possibly imagine! I was remarkably reserved with the cash on this holiday and fortunately managed to remain so in the shop. I bought the current limited edition pin featuring C3P0, R2 & BB8.

Before our last pass of the day we decided to grab a bite to eat. We ate at the Studio Catering Co, with Gemma choosing the Spicy Chipotle Ranch Chicken and I had the pulled beef brisket sandwich. We enjoyed our eats and took the time to relax.

Last fastpass of the day time... Toy Story... Yeah, it was great. We had a lot of fun and preferred it to the Space Ranger Spin on account of it not having the spin element leaving one player at a disadvantage (or two fighting over who spins). I think I won in the end, but not by too much.

Fantasmic was our final activity of the day. We headed over there and noticed a grumbly looking sky. Warnings that the show may not go ahead were being issued. We hung around for 90 minutes regardless and fortunately the show kicked off. It was all really enjoyable too... Up until about 5 minutes from the end when the first drop of rain hit... Then another... Then another 4l.2 million... A true Florida rain hit and the show abruptly stopped. Cancelled! Our only chance on this trip! Arghh!

I expected Gemma to be upset, but she was relaxed about it. A reason to come back! Another reason to come back! We hugged and made our way to the park exit... The ground was inches deep in the main street, where a sweet older couple danced without ponchos, soaked to the bone in the rain. How adorable!

Photos

Edited at 05:59 PM.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List