Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Our First Trip to WDW- *Feb/March 2016 - Day 1 A chilly day in Magic Kingdom

Trip index

We had our alarms set for about 7.30. It was so lovely to know that our usual trill alarm tone wasn’t waking us up for work, but for Disney instead.

I got up first and headed into the shower. The bathroom was also subtly themed in a pirate style and I noticed that ‘mousekeeping’ had left us some little soaps and shampoo.
At around 8.30 we were finally out of the door, on our way to take our refillable mugs down to the food court and grab some breakfast. The weather was a little chillier than I had hoped for, so I packed a lightweight jumper with me. I have pretty much no recollection of what we ate but I remember when we were done, we shoved our refillable mugs into the DF’s bag and headed for the bus.

Our first proper bus journey was uneventful but soon enough we had arrived in Magic Kingdom. We headed up Main Street and took some photos in front of the castle.

Our first fast pass wasn’t until 11.30. I had purposely done this so that we could spend the morning having a good look around. We headed first to Adventureland and saw that Pirates of the Caribbean was only showing a ten minute queue.

We quickly ran on and in less than 5 minutes we were on a boat, cruising along the seven seas.

We had a mooch around some of the shops. As you can see from my outfit change the weather was freezing. The jumper was ON!
I think we did a lap around the whole park just taking everything in. The atmosphere is just spectacular even on a cloudy day like this one. We did our first Big Thunder Mountain Fast pass at 11.30 and absolutely loved it. I think it’s my favourite MK ride.

We were unable to snag any fast passes for SD Mine Train and didn’t bother with it on this trip as the stand-by queue always seemed to be at least 60 minutes.

As I said in my pre-travel day report, I HAD however, manged to get a lunch reservation for Be Our Guest at 1.45. I think we got there at about 1.40 and we’re met at the gates by a cast member with an iPad who took our reservation number and gave us a menu. (A good tip we found, was to take a screenshot of all fast passes and reservations on your phone, so that if the park wifi is a little patchy, at least you’ll be able to pull up your email/MDE app reservation.

We headed on up to the large doorway where another cast member was there to meet us. They pointed us to a till where we ordered food and drinks and paid via the QS dining plan. She gave us our receipt and pointed us on through to the main dining room and told us to find a seat.

We entered into the magnificent ballroom and stood around a little stupidly for a moment, receipt clutched in our hand. I approached a smiley cast member stood by the drinks dispenser. “I’ve just ordered food, am I right in thinking we can just sit…anywhere?” I asked a little apprehensively. She gave a nod. “Yuh-huh, your food will find you.”

It was busy as expected but we found a two-seater table at the back and plonked ourselves down. I had just enough time to head on up and grab my coke from the dispenser, before the food arrived on a little trolley. Like they say, the food finds you.

All hail the mighty magic band!

We both had the braised pork (which makes my mouth water just thinking about it) and a cupcake each. I think the DF had some sort of strawberry thing whilst I, of course, opted for ‘the grey stuff’ i.e. the Master’s cupcake. It was lovely. Only problem was that a couple of small bites in and I could feel the saliva in my mouth begin to build and my heart start to pound. I have a slight nut allergy and obviously there was something in in the cake that triggered off a reaction. Nothing major but it was just enough to potentially spoil the day if I ate anymore (I ended up swapping desserts with the DF in the end).

We were probably only in there for a hour in total, but it was so worth it. Disney REALLY know how to do theming!

By this point it had gotten so cold it was either buy something to throw on top of my jumper, or leave. I had seen a lovely white hoodie on a lady walking ahead of me a little earlier on in the day and after a browse through a couple of the stores on Main Street I managed to find it. It WAS expensive but I have had so much wear out of it since!

We went for another stroll around before climbing the Swiss Family Tree House. We somehow totally missed the 3pm parade and instead queued up at Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin before our Haunted Mansion FP. Yes, I know we were probably doing everything in the worst order!

We headed back over towards Space Mountain where we had fast passes at 4.20. I chickened out at the last minute and sent the DF in on his own. Meanwhile I took a look around some of the gift shops and picked up a couple of pins which were the first official purchase of the trip.

When the DF emerged we grabbed a corndog and munched it on our way over towards Gaston’s Tavern where we decided to stop for a LeFous brew.

We opted for the Souvenir Gaston stein which cost in total, with the drink, around $10.

Even with my hoodie on it had started to get so cold, my teeth were chattering. We headed into Big Top Souvenirs to warm up and the DF decided to channel his inner Maleficent.

Once we’d warmed up a little we chanced it back outside and made it onto Tomorrowland Speedway in five minutes. I let the DF drive but neither of us were much of a fan of this ride due to the sheer amount of smog that was spluttering out from the cars.

We headed back over towards the front of the castle and noticed the crowds had started to form for the parade and fireworks that started at 9. Neither of us were that fussed about staying as we were both so exhausted after a pretty full on day. We decided to head on over to Big Thunder Mountain for one last ride before heading back to our hotel. I think by this point the queue for BTM was only about ten minutes so it was a walk on. One quick ride around the old west later and we were heading for the park exit.

We made our way back to the buses, battling our way through the crowds packed down Main Street.

We must have got back to the resort at around 9.15pm. We had dinner at the food court before heading back to our room and collapsing into bed.

Edited at 01:39 PM.
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 17, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
TEST

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Congratulations on sticking it out for a full on day! So sorry it was so cold for you; people usually pop into the shops for a cool down in the aircon, not to warm up! Lovely hoodie purchase, though! X