Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Mar 16, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

The American Pye Coast to Coast Adventure – Aug 2015 - Day 8 - Both parks/ Drive to San Diego

INDEX

PREVIOUS: Day 7 - PCH Grill/ California Adventure

Day 8 Disneyland/California Adventure/ Drive to San Diego

After two incredibly full days we had a bit of a lie-in and got up about 8am (this constitutes as a lie-in for the Pyes on holiday!)

It was to be a bit of a mixed bag today. We were heading into both parks to do whatever ever we’d missed (and to hopefully revisit some favourites!), we were also going to spend some time (and money!) in Downtown Disney before our reservation at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen at 5pm and then it was goodbye Anaheim, hello San Diego!

Before all that though I had the task of packing everything while Adam took a nice stroll over to Alamo to pick up the hire car. It took him about 20mins to walk (pretty much the same route we’d taken yesterday morning as the Alamo garage is not far from the Paradise Pier hotel) and he was back within the hour. In the meantime the kids and I packed and then visited the little hotel gift shop so they could buy some Disney gifts for their friends back home.

When Adam left he was under strict instructions to get a nice car (and nice for me means clean and a good colour as I haven’t a clue about cars and couldn’t care less about anything else!) and he chose well. Having a white one made it much easier to spot on the car parks!

We got all of the luggage in with no problems and drove the short distance to DTD. None of us were starving so we just popped into Starbucks at DTD for a quick breakfast.

The sun was up again but as it was still fairly early it wasn’t too hot so we sat outside. And were at the main park entrance for about 10:45.

I’d realised the night before that we hadn’t had a photopass picture at the entrance of the park and I really wanted one, especially as the railroad station was all decorated with the 60th stuff. So we popped in quickly for a couple of pics.

And then headed over to California Adventure. You might remember that we’d promised Jack that if we could we’d take him back onto California Screamin’, I was in no rush to do it again so Adam stepped up and volunteered

Anna and I wanted to ride Ariel again but it was down so we went on the swings instead. And then messed around taking pics while we waited for the boys.

We all really wanted to do Toy Story again but the wait time was at 60mins (the longest we’d seen during our whole time there!) and that’s way above our wait limit so we said a sad farewell to the Paradise Pier area of the park

Adam checked the app for wait times (we’d used the app loads and it was always very accurate) and Soarin was still at 5mins! So on we went again (3rd time in 3 days!) We loved it obviously and are all very excited about the new version that we’ll get to ride in 2017.

We all fancied a snack so we headed into Clarabelle’s again after enjoying it so much yesterday but resisted the giant/make your own ice-creams this time! I had a Mickey sandwich (I LOVE them and hadn’t had one yet!) Adam had a vanilla cone, Jack had the Mickey ice-cream and Anna had a lolly.

We’d pretty much done everything we wanted to in California Adventure so headed out for the last time (and felt very sad leaving our favourite Disney Park ever!) and headed over to Disneyland.

Because we were in no rush today we had a nice stroll along Main St, taking it all in and trying to remember it all.

We’d all loved Space Mountain we grabbed some FP’s for that and then queued 10mins for Star Wars. Adam and Jack grabbed a couple of fab tshirts in the shop on the way out too. On our forst Disneyland day Jack had really wanted to meet Captain America but just as we joined the queue he’d been swapped for Thor (who he wasn’t that fussed about!) in fact Captain America was the only character he was remotely bothered about meeting this time! So I took him over and got in the queue while Adam and Anna went on Buzz Astroblasters as it was a walk on.

We only queued for about 10mins (which was good because it was another sweltering day!) and got some fab PP pics. He chatted to Jack for ages too, really good character interaction, so Jack was thrilled. He asked him who is favourite super hero was and Jack said him but he then pointed out that he was wearing a Batman tshirt! He had in fact worn his CP tshirt on our first day in anticipation of meeting him but he wasn’t there! Once he’d explained all of this they were best buds

Time then to use our FP’s for Space Mountain which was still sooooo much fun!

The ride face is back!

We then decided to head over to a part of the park that we’d missed out last time – Mickey’s Toontown. Anna wanted to get a new Mickey tshirt (selecting the boys version rather than the pink girls one!) And then we headed to Mickey’s house to meet the man himself one last time. The kids had fun wandering through before you get to the actual queue.

And the queue area itself is fab as it’s a dark, air-conditioned room showing old Mickey Mouse cartoons and clips – a very welcome break from the heat!
I was really hoping that Mickey would be in his 60th Anniversary outfit but it wasn’t to be. We still got more PP pics though.

We had a wandered around Minnie's house and then had a go on Gadgets Go Coaster as it was a walk on.

It was time then to get a spot for the parade that we missed the first time. We were early enough to get one on the shaded side right in the middle of Main St on the kerb so we could sit down! Perfect! I left Adam and the kids keeping the spot and went to Main St Bakery for snacks, fruit and water.
It was so lovely sitting and people watching and after a while the band came along and loads of CM’s all wishing Adam a happy birthday still!

I wandered down end of the street to get this special pic of Walt’s apartment. The candle is always lit in his memory. And I was so grateful that we’d been able to experience this park in its 60th year.

And the parade was wonderful. We all really, really enjoyed it. And if you’re on the front row you’re asked to stay seated which suited me fine!

We strolled back down Main St and said goodbye to Disneyland. We’d all had an amazing time in this park and were so sad to leave but we knew that we’d be heading back at some point over the next few years.

Making the very short walk to DTD we headed to Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen. We’d chosen this restaurant after I asked on the Dibb what everyone’s favourite restaurant was in DTD. And as usual the Dibbers were right! It was gorgeous inside and a fabulous replica of a New Orleans French Quarter building. The food was delicious, the Jazz pianist was wonderful and we all loved the Beignets for dessert.

We also had a lovely chat with the guy who takes your photograph as you are seated. You’re under no obligation to buy it but we did as it was a lovely picture and we wanted one last memory from our amazing few days there. He was also fascinated with our accents, everyone we’d met loved the fact that we were from the UK, and you’re definitely much more of a novelty in California than Florida!

Tummys full it was time for some serious DTD shopping! We all spent forever in the World of Disney picking various bits and pieces. I got my Disney 60th Pandora charm

And photo frame and mug amongst other things! And we all helped pick out our Christmas decoration (we always get one wherever we go on holiday! Anna got a few things but Jack was saving his pennies for the lego store where he got a big Star Wars set and a couple of bionicles set. Adam got a couple more t-shirts from D Street too.

And that was that! Our time in Disneyland was over We headed back to the car ready for the next part of our adventure – on to San Diego!

The drive was easy and straight forward. It took about 1hr 40mins, the kids were fab and I caught up on this trip report! We left Anaheim at about 6:30pm so it was dark by the time we arrived in La Jolla but we found the house easily thanks to the fab instructions the owner had given us.

We’d found and booked the townhouse in La Jolla about 10mths before. We’d decided on staying in La Jolla almost as soon as we’d decided on San Diego after reading so many wonderful things about the area and listening to brilliant Dibber and San Diego resident Amy.

Amy helped us loads during the planning stages of this part of our trip, even helping me to narrow down which house would be better to rent on VRBO.com.

Once we’d got the keys out of the lock box and got into the townhouse we weren’t disappointed! It was gorgeous!

So clean, incredibly well stocked and exactly what we needed after our really busy week! The only downside was that there was only aircon in the main bedroom, which I hadn’t realised but it just meant that the kids were warm in bed! They were fine with it and more excited about the fact that there was a tv and dvd player in their bedroom with DVD's to watch! After exploring the house and opening every cupboard we got the kids settled and asleep, then we unpacked and headed to bed about 10pm.

Ready for and very much looking forward to our first rest day tomorrow!

NEXT: Day 9 La Jolla

Edited at 12:07 PM.
SarahJayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 16, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looks like you had a great day! It's always tough saying goodbye to Disney! We did the opposite to you, we went to San Diego first, then dropped off our hire car (which we picked up in San Francisco) in Anaheim also at the Alamo place and did Disney last.

I'm looking forward to your San Diego part of the holiday too!

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 16, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
Looks like you had a great day! It's always tough saying goodbye to Disney! We did the opposite to you, we went to San Diego first, then dropped off our hire car (which we picked up in San Francisco) in Anaheim also at the Alamo place and did Disney last.

I'm looking forward to your San Diego part of the holiday too!

Suzy
It was so hard leaving Disneyland - we adored it there!
But loved San Diego too.

I'd do this holiday all over again in a heartbeat ❤️
Old 4 Mar 16, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Still milking the old Birthday badge I see lol

OMG it doesn't seem five minutes ago you posted a picture of the apartment you'd just booked on FB, now you're holiday'd and home ... How time flies, just crazy.

Daniel gets the keys to his first house up North next week so I'll no doubt be up there quite a bit, maybe we'll catch up sometime.

Sharon xx

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Just spotted your ticker ... Tell me more!

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 16, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A good last day in Disney. We visited San Diego last year for the first time but only had 5 nights so hoping to go back maybe this year,like the townhouse this would appeal to us. May even get DH to consider Disney too.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 16, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Lovely last day in Disney but I bet you were so sad to leave. At least you had more holiday to look forward to. Can't wait to read all about San Diego!

Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 16, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've just stumbled across your report - which is fab! We are planning California in 2018 as heading back to Florida next year and our kids will be 9&6 (nearly 7). Was there much they couldn't go on? I had been looking at one of the disney hotels but now I'm thinking that won't be necessary!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 16, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
Just spotted your ticker ... Tell me more!
Lol! Well I think I've changed it again since you posted this! We're planning 10days onsite for the first time and then 4 days on the Bahamas crusie (also first time!) next Aug. Hoping to book it this month if the cruise dates ever get released and the DDP is on offer.
I've changed my countdown though to Vienna as Adam and I are going for a long weekend for our wedding anniversary this Sept. First time abroad without the kids for me! So it's going to be lovely but a bot weird. We've booked a gorgeous hotel and used to some of our BA airmiles to go business class

Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
A good last day in Disney. We visited San Diego last year for the first time but only had 5 nights so hoping to go back maybe this year,like the townhouse this would appeal to us. May even get DH to consider Disney too.
San Diego is beautiful isnt it? I really loved it and would love to live there.

Originally Posted by Erial View Post
Lovely last day in Disney but I bet you were so sad to leave. At least you had more holiday to look forward to. Can't wait to read all about San Diego!

Claire
x
We were so sad to leave and as you know have vowed to go back! But we were looking forward to San Diego to so mixed feelings on the drive down.

Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
I've just stumbled across your report - which is fab! We are planning California in 2018 as heading back to Florida next year and our kids will be 9&6 (nearly 7). Was there much they couldn't go on? I had been looking at one of the disney hotels but now I'm thinking that won't be necessary!
Thanks - I'm glad you're enjoying it. There was nothing that mine couldn't go on but they are both quite tall for their age but even so I think there would be very little that that couldn't do. And you will love it - we even preferred it to the Florida parks!
As for hotels, there are loads that are just across the road from the entrance and while it would be nice to always stay in a Disney hotel the off site ones are just sooooo much cheaper that I'm not sure it's worth paying the extra to stay onsite.
Old 2 Apr 16, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

We had our first trip away without the kids in 2014 ... Very odd at first but soon got into it planning on a trip to London in August for my birthday. You'll have a blast.