Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 8 Jun 16, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mr and Mrs T. Our West Coast adventure May 2016 - Saturday, May 28 Home time!

The day we all dread had arrived. Going home!

Didn’t sleep great, partly because we were going home and because of the loss of the camera.

In no great hurry to get up but when we did I got stuck into the packing. All done we checked round and went to reception to check out. We had an airport shuttle booked for 5.15 so left the cases with the bellhop and ventured out to what was a beautiful morning in search of breakfast.

Down Columbus again and not far from the restaurant yesterday was another called Joannie’s. Managed to get a table outside on the pavement. Delicious food again and good coffee. Another recommendation if people are in the vicinity.

After paying we walked to the same area we went to yesterday, just to soak up our last few hours in the city and to spend a bit of time in the lovely sunshine.

Just down from Ghirardelli’s is a sitting area with a beach in front. Sat there taking in the views when a rather group of people came marching up. They were ex US Marines who were out making people aware of the issues ex-servicemen have. They were noisy, some choice language, some were tipsy but it did make you think.

Soon they moved on up the hill towards Fort Mason. We moved on as well and headed towards the municipal pier where we found a seat looking back on the city skyline, wishing today wasn’t happening.

Elaine was not very happy at the thought of going home!

Walked back towards Fisherman’s Wharf, called into Ben and Jerrys for an ice cream before heading onto Pier 39. It was so busy. In fact it was heaving.

Got to Pier 39 where we made our way past the sea lions and spent a bit of time watching the pelicans flying past and also admiring the hardy souls who had ventured out on the Rocket Boat. All were wearing ponchos. Wonder why!

Back to the hotel where we collected our luggage and waited for the shuttle. Arrived promptly at 5.15 and off to the airport we went, on another very hairy rollercoaster ride.

Found the PE desk at Virgin and got rid of the cases. Elaine then suggested we take the airtrain over to the car rental garage and see if anyone had handed in the camera. Wasn’t that confident but off we set.

Got to the office and there was a notice on the desk that it was only open between 9-5! It was just after 6. Saw a guy in an office and was just about to speak to him when a lady further down asked if she could help. Told her of my loss, she asked my name and on checking a pad told us that they indeed had the camera.

Was in complete shock when she went and got it. She told us that she had gone through the pictures I had taken – nearly 1,500 – and had seen the picture of the number plate of the car and matched it to our booking.

The only reason I took a picture of a number plate was that we were in California and in Anaheim they had given me a car with a Nevada plate. I could not hide my delight and gave her a big tip which is refused. I did tell her I loved her instead. After thanking her again we left with me having a huge smile on my face. I could not believe what had just happened and how very lucky I had been.

We then found the security area and what seemed like ages we were through and went in search of a sandwich. Found a place and sat eating our sandwich still unable to hide our delight.

Headed for gate A3 and saw we were heading home on another Dreamliner – Dream Girl this time.

Soon we were boarding and we found our PE seats and settled down for the long flight home. Just under 10 hours announced the pilot so we settled down in the hope of maybe getting a bit of sleep.

Again the food and service was very good. No problems with Virgin on both legs. Very smooth flight home and before too long we were circling Heathrow waiting for permission to land.

Once down we were one of the first off and seemed to walk miles to border control. What a farce! The queue was enormous with what looked like half the desks open. Sorry but the officers at Heathrow beat their US counterparts hands down when it comes to charisma.

All I wanted after a long flight was at least a smile. I definitely did not want him calling me John. Complete lack of respect as far as I am concerned, especially when we are told to respect them. Rant over!

Eventually through and after a toilet stop found where the luggage was coming off and picked the 2 cases up.

Made our way over to the National Express Coach depot, which is based at Terminal 2. Found a seat and got a sandwich and drink and waited for our coach to arrive.

Left promptly at 5.45 and after 4 stops we pulled up at Ipswich Station just before 9 p.m. Got a taxi home and after putting the cases in the back bedroom, made a cup of tea and checked the large amount of post/rubbish that had been pushing through the letter box.

Our bed beckoned so after an hour or so after getting in we were laid in bed, going over the last 3 weeks.

That is it. 19 days, 7 different beds and a wonderful holiday with some great memories. I hope I did not go on for too long and that some of what we did might turn out to be useful for anyone visiting the West Coast.

Next up for us is a week looking after young grandson Dylan while his parents and granddaughter Caitlin have a week in Spain.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
TractorBoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Elaine's face in that photo 😟 Know that feeling well. So glad you got your camera back too.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Twilight Nerd
slightly serious Dibber

I've really enjoyed reading your trip report. Thank you for sharing your experience with us I've picked up some ideas for our trip at the end of this month
Twilight Nerd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

I'm soooo glad you got your camera back. I was hoping that would be the case as there are pictures in your trip report.

I already had Joanie's and Eight AM on my list for possible breakfast spots so its good to know you enjoyed them.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, I really enjoyed reading it & picked up a few tips for the future. Glad you got your camera back.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 16, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

So glad you got your camera back!what a fantastic trip!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 16, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
beth21
Excited about Disney

Glad you got your camera back I would have felt like you sick and worried... I once left ours in the car at Sanford airport sat waiting to board when I realised luckily security were really good and retrieved it for us
beth21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 16, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Really enjoyed reading along thank you for taking the time to do it and so very glad you got your camera back

Joan
Old 24 Jul 16, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So glad you got your camera back

I have really loved reading your trip report, thank you for taking the time to post it, really hope I get to visit that area one day

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 16, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

wow amazing that you got your camera back
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List