Old 24 Jun 16, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

The American Pye Coast to Coast Adventure – Aug 2015 - Day 13 - Seaworld

Index

Previous: La Jolla Shores

Day 13 - Seaworld

Ok, so you'll have to bear with me now as it's at this point that I clearly lost all motivation to keep notes at the end of each day so the next couple of days will be done from memory and pictures! I'll try and do them justice

So today we we’re heading to Seaworld. A first for all of us, as even though we’ve been to Florida twice before we’ve never visited there.
We headed out early enough to get there just after opening and were surprised again to find the park practically empty and it stayed like this for most of the day. It really had been such a bonus visiting during late summer.

We got our ‘official’ picture at the entrance, we didn’t buy it but they kindly took one on our camera too.

Once we were in the kids loved looking in the big pools there and sticking their hands in to get them cleaned by the fish that get rid of all the dead skin. I know that this sounds completely gross but whenever Anna has done this she always has loads of fish on her as she has pretty bad eczema on her hands. It totally freaks me out but she thinks it’s great!

Jack was desperate to get onto Manta. Anna took one look at it and said not a chance which I was pleased with So Adam took Jack on (it was a walk on) while Anna and I had a wander around. He came back saying that it was amazing and Adam looked pretty green – this is now the standard response I get after they’ve been on any big rollercoaster!

I wasn’t too fussed with doing any rides today but really wanted to see the shows, however Jack persuaded us to do the Shipwreck Rapids before we got seats for the first show. Weather wise today was acutally very plesant. There was a bit of cloud cover here and there and it was a much more comfortable 26 degrees. So I wasn’t too keen to go on a water ride and get wet but we all just thought, why not, it’ll be fun! The queue was about 15mins but as we got closer and saw what it actually entailed and then watching people get off, it dawned on us that we were about to get absolutely soaked! An soaked we were!

I don’t have any pics as we had to run around to get to the One Ocean show just before it started but we were really wet, especially Jack, but none of us had any sympathy as it was all his idea in the first place! We dried off (mostly!) during the show and to be fair it was one of the best water rides we’ve ever done.

So now it was time for the One Ocean show with Shamu. I don’t want to turn this part of my report into any kind of a debate on Seaworld but having now been there and seen the show I do think that it gets a bad rap and I think a lot of people (some of whom have never even been) have jumped on the bandwagon and unfairly judged Seaworld. It was very clear from being in the park that day and from the amount of conservation work done that they care very much for the animals and their welfare. I actually got a lot of stick on Facebook from people at home (most of whom have again, never been to Seaworld!) about visiting the park that day but my opinion is this (rightly or wrongly) the animals seemed looked after and cared for, a lot of work done at Seaworld goes towards conserving the whales and dolphin in the ocean and as far as the training goes, well we train lots of animals in lots of ways (including pets) and as long as it’s done humanely I have no problem with it. Lots of us happily visit zoos, what’s the difference here?
Anyway, off my soap box! We all loved the One Ocean show and thought that the trainers and animals were just amazing.

We had a quick walk through one of the aquariums and then watched the Dolphin Days show too, which again was brilliant

Everyone was getting hungry so we headed to the nearest quick service restaurant. It was so lovely getting served and seated straight away.

After lunch we walked straight onto the Wild Artic ride, which could have done with a bit of an update but was fun all the same. We messed about in the shop after, trying on stupid hats etc.

The kids wanted to have a look at the Sesame Street Bay of Play area, so off we went. Even though they are almost a bit too old of these sorts of rides they actually both really enjoyed them. Because the park was so quiet Adam and I sat down in the pleasant afternoon sun while they both just walked on ride after ride and then had a run round in the soft play type maze thing. They both loved having the bit of freedom and we loved having a rest.

It was around 4pm now so we headed for the exit and the kids spent some of their money in the shops but not too much as we were heading back to Fashion Valley and the Cheesecake Factory only this time we were going into the mall too.

So we left Seaworld after what was a lovely, chilled and relaxing day. There’s not a huge amount of rides but certainly enough to do to fill the day and the park has a really nice feel about it.

We drove quickly and easily to Fashion Valley and headed into the Mall to spend some cash! The kids were desperate to do Build a Bear so we went there first. Anna was really excited to see an Anna bear, that she added the signing ‘For the First Time in Forever’ option to and got the dress as well. Jack was also happy to get a Captain America bear. Both have pride of place in their bedrooms now.

We also went in the Disney store for one last attempt at getting a Sadness for Anna and low and behold there was one left on the shelf! She was over the moon! We just couldn’t believe that we’d been to the biggest Disney store in Times Square, all of the stores in Disneyland itself and here in San Diego was where we found one!
I had been looking on and off in NYC and Disney for a new watch so we headed into Macy’s and a got a lovely Fossil watch which I got 10% off because I was a tourist (such a great deal!) I also had a mooch in Kipling and a couple of other stores but it’s not an outlet mall so everything was at full price and there wasn’t much else that we really needed. Plus at that point all anyone could think about was eating at the Cheesecake Factory again!

There was only a 10min wait and this time we sat inside. I have no idea what we all had for mains but I managed to bag a slice of salted caramel cheesecake that was sold out when we were there the other day!

Stomachs full, with cheesecake to go, we headed back to the townhouse with a quick stop off in Vons where I purchased the new People magazine (so bad!) and read it eating my cheesecake with my feet up back at the house while the kids played for an hour and Adam read his book.

It had been a lovely, relaxing, enjoyable day.
But once the kids were in bed reality set in and we started to pack We were off to Legoland tomorrow but then driving from there back up to LA to stay at the airport overnight. So it was with heavy hearts that we went to sleep, ready for our last California day tomorrow.

NEXT: Legoland/Drive to LAX

Edited at 09:47 PM.
SarahJayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Another great day, pleased you liked Seaworld, it's always been one of our favourite parks. Totally agree with the animals in captivity debate ... To me no different to keeping a dog in a cage while you go to work or indeed a goldfish in a bowl

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

I wouldn’t fancy having the fish nibble my hands – its like those fish foot spas that were the rage a couple of years ago!

Sounds like quite a relaxing day today.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 16, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
Another great day, pleased you liked Seaworld, it's always been one of our favourite parks. Totally agree with the animals in captivity debate ... To me no different to keeping a dog in a cage while you go to work or indeed a goldfish in a bowl
It's a controversal one isn't it but I liked the park and enjoyed the shows the same as I love the zoo.

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
I wouldn’t fancy having the fish nibble my hands – its like those fish foot spas that were the rage a couple of years ago!

Sounds like quite a relaxing day today.
The fish completely freak me out - nibbiling skin! Ugghhh! But the kids love them!

It was a lovely, quiet, chilled out day.
Old 29 Jun 16, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Argh the fish nibbling my skin would totally freak me out!

So sad that your trippie is coming to an end! I really need to get on with mine!

Claire
X

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Erial View Post
Argh the fish nibbling my skin would totally freak me out!

So sad that your trippie is coming to an end! I really need to get on with mine!

Claire
X
I know, they are disgusting! But the kids love them!

Yes - get on with yours quick! X