Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 5 Jul 16, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Boston and Washington Spring 2016 - Boys, Blades and Balls! - Day 2 (Dublin to Boston)

This is my first trippie (please be gentle)...

Trippie Index Here

Day 1 Here

What:

Boston, Washington D.C. and Baltimore

When:

Spring 2016

Who:

Me (April) Hoping for Sloths

DH (R.C.) Unwilling to Listen

DM (Judybat) En Route At Last

DS (Pooter) Aged 9, Picking Peanuts

Travel Day 2 (Dublin to Boston)

We had an early flight to catch this morning, so had to be out the door of the Swords Premier Inn by 6:00 AM. This meant leaving before breakfast, and one of us (*cough*DH*cough*) was not happy about that…

Suck it up! We’re on our way to Newark!

Wait...huh? Why are we going to Newark?

Two reasons:

1.I wanted to fly United because these flights would put us over the miles total for free flights to Hawaii next year (and United’s East Coast hubs are Newark and Dulles).

2.The flights were good enough value and the return flight (from Dulles) would be direct to Heathrow.

Cost:

For three multi-city tickets (Economy on Ryanair, all other flights in Business or First) travelling STN-DUB-EWR-BOS-IAD-LHR - about £3,000. FWIW, I priced out the same multi-city route (minus the Newark stop) from London - it came in at £8,000. Sigh.

I booked via Quidco/Expedia and got some money back (and 200 Nectar points! ). On United you earn miles at the same “rate” no matter where/from whom you buy your tickets (at least, for now).

Now I know full well that some Dibbers would never dream of “wasting” money on Business/First flights. We’ve made a different decision. DH has an autoimmune disorder and can’t fly long-haul in economy comfortably. Sometimes, DH sits in Premium or Business, and DS and I sit in economy. But I REALLY dislike flying these days, and since I don’t smoke or drink - I’ve decided that it’s OK to spend my hard-earned money on the upgrades and not beat myself up about it.

A Newark caveat
:

I would not book a change ANYWHERE in the Northeast in winter - but I figured since we were flying at the very end of March, lambs would be in evidence and all would be well with the weather.

Dublin Airport Redux:

Check-in was very quick - the lady told us to report for American Preclearance 90 minutes (!) before departure - and we were through (Irish) security in no time.

United Business Class uses the Aer Lingus Lounge at DUB, and we made our way there for DH’s long-awaited breakfast.

No hot choices but lots of drinks and breakfast-y bits.

It’s a nice lounge - the staff have always always been friendly and welcoming to children. I even think this lounge has showers, but since DH hadn’t had to saw up a tree this morning, he didn’t need them.

The lounge screens display information for carriers other than Aer Lingus - we were summoned to Preclearance something like 95 minutes before departure. This was unnecessary (as I thought it would be).

For those of you who’ve yet to clear American immigration/customs at Dublin...it’s great! Well, it’s not great, actually - it’s pretty much just as miserable as doing it in America. BUT, you get to do it all at the BEGINNING of your journey (when you are fresh and coherent) instead of AFTER a long-haul flight (when you are slimy and shattered).

The way to Preclearance is well-marked, and when you get to the “American Zone” you first clear security (yes, again - so conveyor belts, x-ray, etc…) and then use the self-service passport scanning machines (1 per family) which photographs each of you and prints out “tickets” (just like at Orlando). Finally, you present passports, photo-tickets and a customs form to the (American) officer.

Our officer this morning was civil, if not exactly friendly. He was curious as to why DH would be coming back before DS and I, but seemed happy enough with DH’s explanation that he runs his own business and can’t be away from it for too long.

As for Customs, it’s handy to get it out of the way at Dublin. If you grab some fruit on the flight, you can KEEP it and eat it for breakfast the next morning when you wake up at 4:00 AM. United always has a snack/fruit bowl on the go.

In “The Cave”:

I once saw the post-preclearance departure lounges at Dublin described as “The Cave”...and it’s true that they’re dark and a bit claustrophobic.

We were through preclearance in fewer than 15 minutes, so had at least half an hour to wait until our flight to Newark began boarding. I’ve flown to America through Dublin a few times now, and it’s never taken more than 15 minutes to get through preclearance and into the departure lounge. Every time I tell myself not to head down so soon, but I am a fretter...I just can’t help myself.

Edited at 09:41 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 16, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Flight #1: DUB-EWR

We boarded on time. The Dublin-Newark/Dublin-Dulles flights on United have a really nice layout in Business Class. I like the 2+2 configuration.

By contrast, the Dulles-Heathrow flights are 2+4+2 in Business, and a few people have to climb over fellow passengers to get to the lavs.

The flight to Newark zipped past. Pooter immediately found the Peanuts movie (which we hadn’t yet seen) and proceeded to watch it twice.

I always like to look for warm, fuzzy documentaries - my all-time favourite is the one about the sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica.

No sloths today, but I found one about unlikely animal friends, and that did the job.

R.C. read the Telegraph, then Barron's and then the FT. He loves to make me look bad.

The food in Business on United is always OK. Pooter and R.C. went for some sort of smoked salmon starter (I can’t have fish) with salad for all. Then R.C. and I had steak, while Pooter had pasta. There was a cheese course and then ice cream sundaes. I’ve seen this on United quite a few times - and it is pretty cute.

The stewardess comes round with a trolley full of vanilla ice cream in sundae glasses. You then get to top your sundae with fruit, hot fudge, caramel, nuts, whipped cream, etc…

Pooter and I then tried to sleep for a little while. I’m not sure if I had any sleep, and I definitely don’t think Pooter did.

I asked R.C.if he wanted me to show him how to recline the seat (he is a brilliant chap, but a total Luddite), but he said no (and regretted it later when I had my eyes closed and he was too embarrassed to ask a stewardess for help).

After a wee while they came around with warm chocolate chip cookies and milk.

I can’t remember if there was another light meal served before landing, but I assume so…

We were all still full - but grabbed some fruit from the bowl to take with us.

At Newark Airport:

An on time landing at Newark, and straight into the C terminal, right near the United Club. We had about two hours before our flight to Boston, so popped up to the Club to relax.

The United Clubs at Newark are BIG. This one had a selection of cold snacks, a vat of chili on the go - and a full bar. R.C. had a cup of tea, Poot and I had water.

Ugly United Club Selfie:

R.C. then made a couple of calls for work - we layabouts read our magazines. Poot had The Beano, I had Ancient History. This issue was excellent, btw. I love learning more about Rome.

Shipping Up to Boston:

Our flight to Boston also departed from one of the C gates, and we headed down about 40 minutes before departure. Left on time, landed on time. A very short flight about which I remember nothing else. Sorry!

At Logan:

We deplaned and made our way to ground transportation. I headed for the Information Desk to ask about travel passes...but there was no one there. Truthfully, I expected to see some “Welcome” signs and greeters (for those of us coming to the Championships) - but nope, nada.

A kind Bostonian overheard us talking amongst ourselves and walked us over to the MBTA ticket machine. She then talked us through the process of buying weekly passes.

Pooter was free (as he is in London) - but for R.C. and I the passes cost $19 each. For a week. And that included transport to and from the airport direct to Back Bay (where both hotels were located). What a bargain! Thank you, kind Bostonian.

The Back Bay Express stops at all terminals and is easy to spot - it looks like this:

Boston:

The journey (it was 3:30 PM or so by now) took about half an hour. Poot was excited to see Fenway Park for the first time as we rode past it!

The Back Bay Express drops you off right at Copley Square (and also at the Convention Center, I believe).

So convenient. We crossed the street to the Westin, where DM and I were staying. (If you care why we’re in two separate hotels, see the pre-trippy .)

The Westin is a MASSIVE hotel, and it was heaving. There were five or six partner hotels for the Championships, and I picked the Westin because it is very close to Copley Station on the Green Line (Boston Garden is also on the Green Line).

I liked the idea of a simple return journey when we were travelling back to the hotel late at night.

Check-in featured an embarrassing moment for yours truly…

I had paid for the room a few weeks earlier, but brought my AMEX to use for incidentals...and then couldn’t remember the PIN. I’ve never been asked for a PIN at an American hotel...good thing R.C. was there. He doesn’t know any of his PINs, he keeps them on a bit of paper in his top pocket...and I will never make fun of this again!

A Note on PINs:

I have used my currency card(s) in America for years now - so far the only place I’ve ever been asked for my PIN is Target. The Westin was the only place I was asked for my PIN on this holiday.

DM and I had been assigned a room on the 24th floor, we had a view of rooftops and parking lots. Oh, well. A nice enough room it was, though.

My mother hadn’t arrived yet, so I sent her an email letting her know we were here.

We left my luggage in the room and set off to find the Loews, which was to be home for the chaps. The Loews occupies the building that was once Boston Police Headquarters, and it is charming.

Not nearly as big as the Westin, it has an intimate feel. The lobby has a 24 hour “posh coffee”/tea machine, so I knew R.C. would be happy there. If I prick him, does he not bleed Assam tea?

Check-in staff at the Loews were outstanding, as was the concierge. Genuinely friendly, but without any hint of smarm (Disney, I’m looking at you ). The concierge made a special point of asking Pooter if he needed anything - he asked for directions to a cheese shop near Harvard (?!).

The room at the Loews was a bit smaller than the one at the Westin, but it was noticeably newer (and the smellies were nicer).

I asked R.C. to make sure that Poot had a bit of sleep before they went out for dinner and then left them to it. I walked back to the Westin to have a shower (at last!) and wait for my mother to arrive.

I don’t know about you, but flying makes me feel as if I’ve had a swim in the Cloaca Maxima. I was very happy to jump in the shower. Still no sign of my mother afterwards, so I decided to have a little sleep.

Of course, as soon as I shut my eyes, she knocked on the door.

It was great to see my mother. I miss her very much, living 4,000 miles away…

My father (Rest his soul) died many, many years ago - and R.C.’s parents are also deceased. So my mother is Poot’s only grandparent and extra special to us all.

Not much else to report - we had some girl talk, DM popped over to the CVS in Copley Square to get some snacks (I was already in my nightgown, she surmised I wasn’t going back out).

We then had some popcorn and almonds, a couple more hours of girl talk - and went to sleep. I assumed that R.C. had paid over the odds for a seafood dinner (for Poot and) himself (spoiler alert - he did) but decided that wasn’t my problem.

Zzzz...

NB: Some of the above photos are stock ones off the 'net. It's all my photos from Day 3, though (sorry about that!).

Day 3 Here

Edited at 10:33 PM.
Old 7 Jul 16, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Thanks for posting. Glad you managed to use card in the end and caught up with your DM.
Old 8 Jul 16, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Both hotels look lovely and I love how cheap public transport is in Boston.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 16, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Thanks for posting. Glad you managed to use card in the end and caught up with your DM.
Yes, I will never make fun of DH again.

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Both hotels look lovely and I love how cheap public transport is in Boston.
I was happy with both, but very glad I had booked DH into the one with the 24 hour tea machine.

And yes! It sounds a silly thing to mention, but transport (whether by car or train/tube) eats up SO MUCH of one's budget here (esp. in the Southeast)...
Old 16 Aug 16, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Both hotels look stunning! I will have to go and read the pre-trip now, but as it said post trip pre-trip I didn't want any spoilers ha ha!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Both hotels look stunning! I will have to go and read the pre-trip now, but as it said post trip pre-trip I didn't want any spoilers ha ha!
I love the idea that anything I could have written would have spoilers...lol

I preferred the Loews to the Westin. Price no object, though...I would have gone for the Four Seasons or the Liberty (which used to be a gaol!).

The Westin and the Loews were available at reduced rates for (World Championship) ticketholders. Boston hotels in general seemed expensive to me...
Old 21 Aug 16, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I love the idea that anything I could have written would have spoilers...lol

I preferred the Loews to the Westin. Price no object, though...I would have gone for the Four Seasons or the Liberty (which used to be a gaol!).

The Westin and the Loews were available at reduced rates for (World Championship) ticketholders. Boston hotels in general seemed expensive to me...
I've just been looking at the Liberty - looks amazing!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
I've just been looking at the Liberty - looks amazing!
If you have an AMEX that comes with the travel benefits (I can't remember which ones do and which ones don't) - you can usually get a stay three nights get a fourth free deal at the Liberty.
Old 8 Apr 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Both hotels look great.

Mmm ... cheese shop...
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List