Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 7 Sep 16, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Rocking in the Rockies: Day 6 Thermopolis

Sunday 31 July - Something in the Water!

We had another good breakfast and chatted with Katie & family about what we were all doing next. We were continuing to Thermopolis while they were headed to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Once we were all packed up, we gathered at front of the hotel to say our goodbyes. We asked a passerby to take a picture of all of us - I don't know why we didn't get more photos of the whole group but I think we were too busy!

I felt quite teary saying goodbye to my sister - we had all had such a good time together doing things we all enjoy and it felt almost a shame to go our separate ways. But we knew we'd be meeting up again at the end of the trip, so we hugged and kissed and drove on down the road.

We headed north into Wyoming, continuing our licence plate game as we drove along. We really liked the Wyoming plates with the silhouette of a cowboy on a bucking bronco. Along with Arizona, I think it's one of my favourites.

The drive to Casper was a long one and the kids did nod off in the back of the car. They were awake, however, when we spotted an election sign for . . . Brian Boner! Brian is running for Senate and we did fall about laughing at his name. Sorry Mr Boner. *gnerf gnerf*

We didn't stop at Casper as we were making good time and there wasn't anywhere that really tempted us, so we pressed on. However, the road to Shoshoni is very long and we were all starting to need a comfort break. The last few miles to the signposted rest area were somewhat challenging and at least one of us sprinted to the restrooms when we got there!

After Shoshoni, we drove through the Wind River Canyon which was really beautiful. It was very peaceful and we just enjoyed the scenery as we passed through, imaging how you could just lose yourself in a place like that.

Eventually we arrived at Thermopolis which is basically one main road with a couple of side roads. We were staying at the Elk Antler Inn - which brings to mind the famous line "I use antlers in all of my decorating".

See what I mean?

It was a bargain of a place and with 2 rooms, the kids voted it one of their favourites. They loved having their own space and own TV. We also loved the elk emblazoned shower curtain . . .

One of the reasons for staying at Thermopolis was to visit the hot springs. There are two private pools that you can pay to visit - these have slides etc, or you can go to the state hot baths for free. Guess which one we did?

We had some snacks in the park outside the thermal pools and then went in. You get 20 minutes in the hot springs and can choose the indoor or outdoor pool - we went for the outdoor one.

It was very warm and smelled strongly of sulphur. 20 minutes was plenty of time and we were all ready to get out after that. It did feel relaxing though, even if our swimming stuff did stink of sulphur for the rest of the trip - despite washing it!

After the hot springs we explored the park. You can walk on boardwalks past the terraces formed by the mineral deposits.

There is also a swinging bridge that goes over the Big Horn river.

We did meet the local "character" on the bridge. A very friendly, probably harmless, but somewhat peculiar man who engaged us in conversation about the river and then told the kids how lucky they were to have us as parents, and how lucky Paul was to have me as a wife. Come to think of it, he was a very sensible guy.

We also got his thoughts on politics - very much against any kind of state intervention in anything - before doing the "Oh, look at the time - so sorry, we have to go!" which earned us a get away but meant that we ended up hiding from him as we kept spotting him in the park!

Back at the hotel we chilled out and dozed off for a while before heading out for something to eat. We found a Mexican we liked the look of, Los Fuentes, and wound up having a really lovely meal there. We also tried some local Wyoming beer which went down very well.

After the meal, we had a little walk - to the end of Thermopolis and back and were quite charmed by it. We found mini golf and had a family tournament; obviously we take it all very seriously and it gets quite competitive. It turned out to be a really difficult mini golf course and we just got finished as it was getting dark. Paul won but me and Evan tied for second place, with Hannah having a very erratic round.

We all really enjoyed Thermopolis. Having spent time in cities since our arrival, we were really happy to have the contrast of a small town and it was a lovely place to spend a night.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

It sounds like a lovely day! Thermopolis seems like a lovely place (though not sure about the sulphur smelling swimwear )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 16, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

You take some great photos! Looks lovely, meal sounds good too, I love mexican!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 16, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
You take some great photos! Looks lovely, meal sounds good too, I love mexican!
Thanks - we like to take fun pictures!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds like a lovely place. I think it's time we did a road trip again, it's been too long! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Sounds lovely, for some reason made me think of mud baths in Turkey !
Nice to be off the beaten track.
I must get more "elk" into my home furnishings !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools2
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Loving your trip reports, we're doing something similar this summer so hoping I might pick some tips up. In fact got excited when you mentioned Casper... but then you didn't stop . We will be staying there to watch the total eclipse in August
Jools2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Sounds lovely, for some reason made me think of mud baths in Turkey !
Nice to be off the beaten track.
I must get more "elk" into my home furnishings !
Elk shower curtain - it's the way forward!
Old 1 May 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jools2 View Post
Loving your trip reports, we're doing something similar this summer so hoping I might pick some tips up. In fact got excited when you mentioned Casper... but then you didn't stop . We will be staying there to watch the total eclipse in August
Hope you have a wonderful time, where else are you going? We quite fancied Casper but just couldn't fit it in as well.