Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Sep 16, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Can I really do a trippie? August 2016 - Day 6 - Universal Studios

Day 6 – 25th August 2016 – Universal Studios

Index

Up early today as we were going to Universal Studios. Mum and Dad had bought us a night in the Hard Rock Hotel for Christmas to take advantage of the Express Passes.

We left the villa at 6.30 and went for breakfast at the Berry Town Centre IHOP. I hoped it was open as the opening hours weren’t on the website although I knew some were open 24hrs. It was nice in here and there were a few people in even at that early hour! Andy and I had coffee, I don’t generally drink filter coffee much although I do like a latte, but I love it in Florida with breakfast. I just love that you keep getting your mug topped up; we just don’t have that over here...

I had ham and cheese omelette with hash brown, the boys both had chocolate chip pancakes, Dan with a side of sausage, Andy had 2 egg breakfast with sausage and hash brown, it was very tasty. It came to $48 plus tip.

We were on the road to Universal at 7.30.

We left the I4 a slightly weird way, not the usual Kirkman Road for some reason. We found a parking space at the HRH and were at the check-in desk for 8.30, a longer journey than I thought but actually our timing was perfect. We got our room keys, left our case with luggage services and printed our Express Passes. All very easy, they said they’d text when the room was ready, although I’d turned all my data off so I didn’t think that would work.

We followed the signs for the water taxi and were told we’d just missed one so it would be quicker to walk which was fine. It was a very pretty walk which took around 10 mins, we were quickly through bag check and at the gate for 8.45 and were let straight in. At this time only Islands of Adventure had early opening so thought we’d do that tomorrow.

We headed straight towards Diagon Alley to do Gringotts. I asked a Porter at Kings Cross where Diagon Alley was as I couldn’t see where to go. She said “where?” “Are you trying to say diagonally?” She had never heard of it but if I’d like to explore more of London I could take the underground . Luckily I had read about these guys being completely in character otherwise I’d have wondered what planet she was on!

WOW! Diagon alley is just amazing . I was completely in awe of it, it was still pretty quiet so you could really see everything, it seemed more impressive than Hogsmeade, although the first time we went there it was heaving so that may have detracted from it. Gringotts showed a 10 minute wait and we quickly deposited our stuff in the locker. Dan was continuing his apprehension about rides he couldn’t see. I had showed him a clip of the ride on YouTube last night but it was very dark then went black with a lot of screaming...hmm not very reassuring! So we had to ask a member of staff if there were any drops. She said there was one and showed Dan on the building opposite how high it was but said it wasn’t a fast drop. He was happy with this and on we went!

I was annoyed with myself when we walked in as the theming was just amazing but I’d put my phone in the locker so couldn’t take any photos. It’s a great queue and the lift ride too is brilliant. Then the ride, it was fantastic, so good. We all got clapped when we arrived back, which it appears is now a ‘thing’ at Universal!

We had a little wander round and bought a couple of Butterbeers, one normal and one frozen. We’ve never had one before and they were nice but one would have done to share between us all, they were so sweet!

Then we went over to the Knight Bus and spotted Kreacher.

It was such a lovely morning, the weather was beautiful and it was so exciting to do new things.

Then we went over to Men in Black, I love this, Andy asked if we could use the Go-Pro but was told no. We used our Express Passes for the first time and basically walked straight onto the ride, there was no queue at all. I was sat with Dan and told him about the red button so he won, Andy and Josh couldn’t understand how. Then we rode again!

We then went straight on the Simpsons and for old times sake ET...the first time I rode this was 1990 we queued for about 3 hours in that forest . We now get excitement from giving stupid names... very childish . Then Terminator, which the boys have never done, it was ok. We were loving having the Express Passes, we’ve never had them before and it was fantastic to walk on every ride... Then we got to Minions, with a stand-by of 70 minutes! We were told we’d likely have a 20 minute wait with the passes, we did wait and really enjoyed this, probably the best this attraction has ever been. Then over the road to Shrek, we had a fair wait here too, probably another 20 minutes and then the pre –show is quite long too. We enjoy Shrek, but had those annoying people this time who can’t possibly move to the end of the row.:angry:

In our previous trips Andy’s always fancied Rip Ride Rocket but it’s either been down or a ridiculous queue but this time thanks to the express passes, hurrah, he could ride. Sadly for him he couldn’t persuade any of us to join him. So, on he went and we got some drinks and snacks from the kiosk. We sat in the shade and while we were waiting got a text to say the room at Hard Rock was ready.

Andy was most put out that he’d missed out on snacks, so purchased one of his favourites, the good old turkey leg! I went to get the lowdown on the Mummy for Dan and again got a reference point as to the height of the drop! Dan decided that sounded ok, so, on we went. Again, this was a first for all of us, I guess coming when the boys were younger they wouldn’t have liked it and we wouldn’t have wanted to ride alone. Anyway, wow! We loved it, so good. When you think the ride is finished, brilliant. So we did this twice too.

Then we did Transformers, Josh was a massive Transformers fan a few years ago - when we came in 2011 he bought all the little toys. So he was excited to ride this as this wasn’t here when we came in 2011. It was ok, pretty much the same as Spiderman but not as good (in my opinion).

We then had a family meeting and decided to go back to the room and go for a swim, we’d done everything we wanted to do and it was a scorching hot day.

The room was lovely, we all immediately measured ourselves on the mirror, and I’m the same height as Adele and Gwyneth Paltrow!

We got changed into our swim stuff and headed to the pool, Andy would have quite liked a nap but I was having none of it (mean wife), it was a really lovely pool, it was very busy and we struggled initially to find some loungers. The boys had a few goes on the slide and I enjoyed lying in the shallow of the pool, there was a singer on at the bar, the sun was shining, a blissful time. The boys were a bit disappointed with the pool as it’s pretty shallow so they couldn’t swim very well. The boys got an ice-cream while I was lazing in the pool.

We were getting peckish by now so headed back to the room for showers and took the water taxi to City Walk. The boys were doing Chandler from Friends smiles on these photos, which if you’ve never seen it will make no sense!

The boys had never been to a Hard Rock Cafe, Josh particularly is into music so I thought they’d like it. I completely forgot that you can book tables at City Walk so thought we’d have quite a wait, but we got there about 6 and were seated straight away.

Our server was very nice, we ordered drinks, I ordered a fruit tea of some description but it was just like summer fruit squash! Josh had twisted mac ‘n’ cheese with chicken and the rest of us had burgers, it was an ok meal and we paid $110 including tip.

Afterwards we went back to Universal, we got in the park at 7.10 but realised it closed at 8.30 which seemed really early, best crack on! First stop minions for another go, only about a 5 minute wait this time. Then Josh announced he would go on RRR with Andy. This was Josh’s first big coaster, a defining moment! Dan and I went on the Mummy. Dan and I really loved this, I think because it was so new to us. Josh also really enjoyed RRR. We then did the Simpsons again. The boys wanted to have a go on the midway games here.

It was then time to go which was a shame, it was really dark walking back to the entrance, they need more lighting! We saw a Ben & Jerrys on the way out and fancied an ice cream but it was shut.

We made our way out and into City Walk where we stumbled across the Coldstone Creamery. Dan got embarrassed because he asked for candyfloss ice-cream and the server didn’t know what he meant (cotton candy – doh). But this place is awesome! We all just went for one scoop of ice-cream and one topping thinking it would just be sprinkled on top, but no, they do some clever mixing and make you your new ice-cream. Josh had vanilla and cookie dough which starts as a raw cookie and then gets mixed through the ice-cream, I had butter pecan with heath bar. I’m very excited about this and probably going on way too long about it haha!

We got a couple of soft drinks and walked back to the room. We realised we hadn’t really come properly prepared and should have bought some drinks with us for the room, but hey ho, we’ll remember next time.

We got back at 9.40 absolutely exhausted and went straight to bed. It had been a fantastic day.

Edited at 10:34 PM.
i love jack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Chandlers engagement photo 😆😆😆
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 16, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

What a fabulous day! Love the photos of the park, and what a great present from your parents! The Mummy ride broke down while we were on it last time, we sat there for ages with spooky music and no sign of any help! I am not sure I will be able to get back on that again! Am so looking forward to seeing Diagon Alley etc - sounds like you had a great time.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 16, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a great day.
Old 16 Sep 16, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day Emma

We will be trying the new iHOP in February. Much nearer than the one down 192.

I know what you mean about sitting in the shows though "Please walk through to the end of the row" does not mean "Please make sure you stop and sit in the centre so others can't get past you" :angry:

Mick
Old 16 Sep 16, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great day!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 16, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Just read though all of your trip report so far. Really enjoying it - you've packed so much in already!
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 16, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Great day! Love the Hard Rock Hotel, I think good valua for a 5 star hotel and express passes

Makes me smile as everyone must do the mirror thing

ET used to get 3 hour queues
Old 18 Sep 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

What a great day! We are staying at Royal Pacific for the express passes, we have never queued for Minions so looking forward to this!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 16, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Chandlers engagement photo 😆😆😆

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
What a fabulous day! Love the photos of the park, and what a great present from your parents! The Mummy ride broke down while we were on it last time, we sat there for ages with spooky music and no sign of any help! I am not sure I will be able to get back on that again! Am so looking forward to seeing Diagon Alley etc - sounds like you had a great time.
Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Sounds like a great day.
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day Emma

We will be trying the new iHOP in February. Much nearer than the one down 192.

I know what you mean about sitting in the shows though "Please walk through to the end of the row" does not mean "Please make sure you stop and sit in the centre so others can't get past you" :angry:

Mick
Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Great day!
Originally Posted by GALE88 View Post
Just read though all of your trip report so far. Really enjoying it - you've packed so much in already!
Originally Posted by mouselover22 View Post
Great day! Love the Hard Rock Hotel, I think good valua for a 5 star hotel and express passes

Makes me smile as everyone must do the mirror thing

ET used to get 3 hour queues

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
What a great day! We are staying at Royal Pacific for the express passes, we have never queued for Minions so looking forward to this!
Thank you all for reading, it was a fantastic day