Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Four States, One Big Adventure: Day 5 - The Day We Met Oswald

We knew we’d wake up early today so it was no surprise when we woke up at 5.50am. In fairness, we slept from 9pm the previous night so it was a pretty good innings!

For that reason, I had booked us a character breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen at 7.15am. The reasoning behind this eye wateringly expensive meal was threefold: 1. We didn’t do it last time and I wish that we had, 2. We knew we’d be awake early that day, 3. We only had 2 days in the parks so it would give us some character piccies if we didn’t have time to in the parks.

We left the room at 7am to walk down to the Disneyland Hotel. We waited in line for a few minutes and then checked in. You pay before you sit down here which is a pretty good idea and you also pay your gratuity up front. I didn’t mind this either. It came to $89.21. Ouch.

Before we sat down, we had our picture with Pluto.

The food here is very bizarre for a breakfast with all sorts of pizza on offer, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, cakes (and I mean cake, not breakfast pastries), ice cream…plus your usual breakfast offerings. Matt loved it. His plate is the one with the hot dog! I tried the famous PB&J pizza, I wasn’t a fan but I can see why true PB lovers would be.

We got some fab photos here. The characters did the rounds several times and we got pictures each time so we were really pleased. Made the price easier to justify!

We treated this trip as my ‘birthday’ again because we didn’t do much for my 30th on the day as our money was all wrapped up in this holiday, and since I was wearing a button, they brought me a cute little cake!

On the way out, we stopped for pictures with Goofy, as he doesn’t come into the restaurant and we didn’t see him earlier!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
After breakfast, we queued at the Grand Californian entrance because today, we were heading to the California Adventure theme park! This is our favourite park between WDW, DLR & DLP so we were doubly excited.

Anyway, back to the queue, and it was loooooooong. And even after park opening, because there’s only one scanner for oodles of people, it was taking ages, so we decided to abandon and go to the main entrance instead.

We were in the park by 9.10am and predictably headed straight to Cars Land. We rode Radiator Springs Racers with about a 20-minute wait, so by the time we had done that and got the Fastpass for later in the day, that was the magic hour gone! But well worth it to get Radiator Springs Racers done.

Our next stop was Soarin’ as we knew it was busier now with the new theming to it. And we have to say, Soarin’ Around the World was soooooo much better! I didn’t mind Soarin’ but Matt was never keen. Even he said this one was good. It’s just nice to mix it up. I won’t spoil it but it was just great, we loved it!

After this, we went to Grizzly River Run, not to ride (it was still a bit ‘morning chilly’) but to get our World of Color Fastpasses, so once they were in hand, we wandered over to Toy Story Midway Mania. It was about a 30 minute wait but worth it to thrash Matt as I did! He hates that I beat him everytime on this ride but he always wins on Buzz so swings and roundabouts!

After we grabbed a drink ($3.75 for a bottle of Sprite…hurts a bit after paying Duane Reade/Walgreens prices!), we picked up Fastpasses for California Screamin’ later on in the day as the line was surprisingly about 20 minutes long.

Since our Fastpass time for Radiator Springs Racers had come up, we headed back towards Cars Land and got some Photopass pictures along the way.

Our next stop was to meet Oswald. Matt was massively annoyed about my determination to meet him because it was stressing him out making certain times but it had to be done. It was one of my only ‘must do’ character meets and we had missed the first two slots already! Thankfully there was no queue so no stroppy Matt! I was thrilled!

The lines for Mickey and Daisy weren’t too big either so we stopped for those too.

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
We then saw a couple of other Photopass photographers around the Carthay Circle/Hollywoodland area so we stopped for some pictures too.

By now, we could use our California Screamin’ Fastpasses, so we headed that way, via the Tower of Terror to pick up some Fastpasses for there.

The park was certainly busier that day than the day before but it was bearable. We think it was slightly busier because it closed at 5pm on the day before and the day after so people were spending their days here today while they could.

Once we had ridden California Screamin’, we rode Mickey’s Fun Wheel. For my sins, we picked the swinging side. It does scare me but it adds a bit of excitement.

We then rode Goofy’s Sky School without too much of a wait. We picked up two drinks beforehand for $7.50 (more eye watering).

Next up was Grizzly River Rapids. We were excited for this as last time it had been too cold to ride this so this was a new one for us! And we loved it! And…I was brave and went poncho free! We got pretty wet but dried out quickly enough.

It was time now to use our Tower of Terror Fastpass so we went over that way, before going to Clarabelle’s for a ‘scoopy’. We love Disney ‘scoopy’. Yum. $10.78 for two double scoops.

We didn’t have any Fastpasses just now and were right by Soarin’ so we picked up one of these for later on, it was timed that we could do this and then go and wait for World of Color.

It was about 3pm now and we were targeting the 4pm Frozen Live show so we headed towards Hollywoodland, stopping to meet Olaf on the way. I was expecting a little wait but he was all alone! I actually thought he was closing up for the day but no, he was just hidden away in a corner so no-one could find him! Cute!

We waited in line for the Frozen show for a little while before we were seated, and then it was about 15 minutes late starting (not sure why). However, it was worth the wait. The show was great! We think they did a really great job of bringing the movie to life and I think the Broadway version will be an absolute treat.

Natsynoo's Trippie Index

Edited at 09:13 PM.
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Straight after Frozen, it was parade time, so we waited in the vicinity for that to come. Again, we had missed this parade last time because it was raining so hard and cold so this was a new one for us. We’re so glad we watched it, they added in water sprays for fun! Dicey for the cameras but fun nonetheless!

After the parade, we went to ride Heimlich’s Chew Chew train. I love this. It makes me laugh every time.

We then went for dinner at the Boardwalk Pasta and Pizza place. We ate here last time and enjoyed it so much we had to come back! Matt had the spaghetti & meatballs and I had the sundried tomato & chicken pasta. With a drink to share, this came to $23.59. Matt left the camera bag at the table (my fault, apparently) but thankfully I noticed that it was missing quite quickly.

After dinner, we didn’t really have much time to do any rides so we nosied around the shops instead. I had wanted a California Adventure magnet but they only had a metal one rather than the cork/wooden ones that I had seen online. We did however get my baby niece a Little Mermaid bubble/musical/light up wand. All the cool kids had them so we couldn’t let her miss out! This was $20 and well worth it, it’s brilliant!

It was time to use our Soarin’ Fastpass now so we rode that one more time before heading to our World of Color Fastpass area.

It was fairly full already and that was 45 minutes ahead of the show! This sadly meant that we couldn’t see all that well (I had a 7 foot man in front of me) and no photos but seeing the wheel light up and the water shoots and music was enough for me. I love this show. I’m still trying to decide if it pips Fantasmic for me. And anyone that knows me knows what a massive statement that is for me to make.

We did however stick around after the crowds had dispersed and got some gorgeous photos of the wheel and colourful watershoots after so that made everything better! I love this selfie!

The beauty of staying in the Grand Californian is the proximity to the park, and that meant that we were back in the room, showered, and in bed by 9pm.

This was an amazing day for us and much needed after a stressful start to the week. A real high of the holiday and a day for me to look back on with great joy for the rest of my life!

Steps: 19,723 (13.46km)

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
What a fun filled 1st day in Disney ( you've got me all excited for our trip next week).

Lovely photos. Can you use the photopass in both parks ?
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

lovely day, would love to go to the Disneyland parks,it seems like a completely different experience to Orlando mo x
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Much better day than your last trip! That breakfast looks insane! Lots of lovely pictures & memories! Love that parade! Impressed with the amount of photopass pics!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
TracyW
Imagineer

Another great day, really enjoying your reports

Amerihost Resort 2002, ASMovies May/June 2004, AKL 7/8 June 2004, ASMovies April 2006, DLRP Explorers Hotel Nov 2006, CB Aug 2008, Sequoia Lodge DLRP Aug 2009, POR Oct 2011, West Coast 2013, POR 2015, AMI 2015, DLC 2017, POR 2023
TracyW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
amymiller
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Aww truly lovely day!

Reading this so gives me the bug to want to go back, if just to experience Soarin' around the world and the Frozen show, which weren't there when I last visited in April.

Hate the swinging big wheel, I had a little cry when I went on it!

Great pictures, Oswald is such an underated character, love that he gets a character meet here, my hubby was thrilled about it as he's a big fan.

Shame you didn't get a good view for World of Color but they are indeed some gorgeous pics you took afterwards!
amymiller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Lovely day :-) You take some excellent photo's :-)
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List