Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 23 Jan 07, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Fun at 50 Day 8 Friday 5th January – A very posh McDonalds.

Fun at 50 Day 8 Friday 5th January – A very posh McDonalds.

We were up early again and decided to go back to MGM (I was quite confident as I knew Rock n Roller Coaster was closed, I usually try to avoid MGM).

We arrived soon after 9 and went straight on the Great Movie Ride. I love the build up to actually getting on this ride, seeing Dorothy’s ruby slippers and then the black and white clips of singing in the rain (or should that be singing in the milk?) and the other black and white movies they show while you are waiting to board.

From there we saw the stunt show with the cars again, and had a walk around the park. By lunchtime we decided to exit and go for something to eat outside the park. We went to the Premium Outlets as we wanted to find a small suitcase for the PS3 (another small suitcase we have quite a collection of them now – time to start taking one of them each trip, empty of course). We bough our DD some perfume at one of the pefume outlets and looked in the Samsonite shop for a suitcase. Even at sale prices they were a lot more than we were prepared to pay so all we bought in there was another TSA lock.

We were a bit hungry now so we went to the McDonalds opposite the Premium shops. Wow! Bill remarked this was the poshest McDonalds he’s ever been in (and we’ve seen the inside of lots of them). It really was lovely. All leather armchairs and with a very peaceful ambience. We both had a cheeseburger and a soft drink and the bill came to around $7. Very cheap for our lunch in such nice surroundings 

From there we went to Walmart on the 535 to look at suitcases. We found one that was just the size we wanted for $24 so it was duly purchased and we set off for the Fountains to start our packing 

We packed everything we wouldn’t need again and had lots of room left. We wanted the small case as the PS3 was heavy and we didn’t want it in one of the other suitcases with other stuff. Thanks to Virgin’s generous luggage allowance in PE we had no worries about the weight of anything. The heaviest case we were taking back with us was only 19 kg so we knew we’d be OK.

After packing we changed and got ready to go out again. Some years ago we had looked at the menu at ‘Steak and Ale’ near Bennigans and the Conference Centre. I remembered the menu was good, but we had our 2 kids with us (and they were little kids then) who were very picky eaters. At the time we decided against eating there as it was expensive compared to most places we ate at then and we knew the kids wouldn’t eat much at all. So I had it in my head that I wanted to eat there.

We were quickly shown to our table as there were not many customers in. The food here was lovely. We shared a starter of mozzarella sticks and both had steak for our main course. We asked for the steaks to be well done – which they were and they were also nice and tender. Bill opted for baked sweet potato which he said was lovely, while I had garlic mash and a side of mushrooms. The main courses also came with a side of carrots and broccoli which were also very tatsy. We didn’t have room for dessert and we both agreed we’d definitely eat there again. The meal including cola for Bill and a tequila sunrise and a sprite for me came to $55.

From there we went to our favourite place – Pleasure Island. We had just missed the start of the show in the Comedy Warehouse so we went to have a look in the Harley shop. A couple we are friendly with had a baby boy on Christmas Eve, and we bought him a lovely little pair of dungarees, t shirt and a tiny hat with the Harley Logo on (his parents are bikers like Bill) and two cute little bibs, one of which said ‘spit happens’ (and yes the proud parents thought they were great when we gave them to them).

Then it was time to go back to the The Comedy Warehouse. The show was once again very funny, so funny in fact that we went into the next show. Then it was time to go back to the Fountains (as Bill refused to go clubbing). We had a drink in the bar – that good old $2 Bud before going back to the villa and getting ready for bed. We watched TV in bed for a while ( a novelty for us as we have never had a TV in the bedroom at home) before falling asleep.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 07, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for the reports

Bob
Old 23 Jan 07, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
LOL at the Posh McD's we've been in one of those and it was spooky

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 07, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
We love eating at that posh McD's

That report is making my mouth water at the sound of those steaks, yummy.

Great day.
Old 23 Jan 07, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Sounds like a very good day
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 07, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Iloveflorida
Imagineer

I've seen Steak and Ale a few times and never had the chance to visit so I have made it a definate next time.
Old 23 Jan 07, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fintywalker
Imagineer

fintywalker's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
can't wait to try the posh Mcdonalds as we ate in one on the 192 and it was grotty, couldn't wait to get out.
Old 23 Jan 07, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post

We ate in the 192 one too and didn't like it,

Good trippy!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 07, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mapman
Cream Tea anyone ?

mapman's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I usually hate McD's, but we ate in the Gourmet McDonald's on Sand Lake Rd (not the big one by I-Ride, further up near Plaza Venezia), and it was lovely. They too had leather armchairs and paintings on the walls - the kids had Burgers and I had the most wonderful Shrimp Linguine cooked by a proper chef with a hat on (on burners just by the table) - very, very nice - if only they had those over here . . .

Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.

My Orlando Map - http://www.orlandomaps.co.uk
mapman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 07, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Great day. McDonald's sounds very posh. Your lucky to get a seat here never mind a leather armchair!
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List