Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Oct 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

We're going on a Bear Hunt, RV trip with Kids - Day 3 Victoria and Whale Watching

We had one full day planned to explore Victoria so again we were up fairly early. One of the reasons I wanted to find a decent sized supermarket was because I can't cope without coffee when I wake up! I am a bit of a coffee snob so instant doesn't do it for me so I was looking for something like a cafetiere to make coffee in the mornings. We hadn't succeeding in finding on on our trip the previous day so Simon went out in search of coffee while I woke the kids up and got them sorted with some breakfast.

It was a beautiful morning and while I was pottering around I saw Joseph doing this!

It turns out he'd spotted a deer just opposite the RV and had gone to find the binoculars we'd brought with us!

My regret for this holiday is that we didn't have a decent camera but you get the gist!

I was so happy to see him like this, it made the journey worthwhile!

Anyway Simon came back without coffee , one major difference between campsites in Canada (well at least the ones we stayed at) is the lack of shops/ cafe's on site! We rounded up the kids and decided to make the walk into town.

The RV site we were booked on was booked back in May, it was a tiny site and the only one within real striking distance of Victoria. It was really pretty and well maintained and has fantastic views (as you have seen!)

A seaplane coming into land (as seen from our pitch)

We set off along a residential road and soon picked up a footpath along the sea wall. It was a really pretty path and half way along it we'd noticed that there was a pub called Spinnakers! We were praying it would be open for coffee and breakfast (which it was!) This is where my coffee (or lack of issue) shows itself because I have failed in my entirety to take photos of Spinnakers which is a beautiful large building set off the harbour. We were seated for breakfast on the patio facing the harbour and were given fresh delicious coffee from a jug which was refilled as soon as the waitresses saw it was required. This was a popular place and I have since discovered it has rooms and if you ever require accommodation in Victoria I would recommend it.

The breakfast menu was amazing the kids had some hot chocolate and muffins again! Simon and I shared a plate of House Smoked Wild Pacific Hash (we were being greedy really because we'd already eaten cereal!) It was delicious!

From Spinnakers we carried on around the bay, it was a bit further than we'd realised to walk but it was fine.

As we approached town we saw some more Totem poles in honour of 1st nations citizens

And I was in a better mood after drinking my coffee!

Victoria has a mainly British Ex Pat population so Simon was attracting a bit of attention by wearing an England Cricket Shirt!

We also saw a dog just like ours at home!

We had a couple of hours to kill before the Whale Watching tour that we had booked onto so we decided to have some retail therapy and went in search of a Sat Nav! We had decided after yesterdays experience that it was the only way forward. Finding an electrical shop was no mean feat but we ended up buying a north america maps Sat Nav from a London Drug store. From there we found a nice food market and bought a few bits for lunch, no cafetiere though as we were worried about it surviving a trip on a boat, I'd have to make do with take out for now .

We then wandered down to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria to catch a boat, getting a bit lost on the way!

It was also Tour de Victoria that day so we had to dodge a few racing bikes !

Fisherman's wharf is a lovely location in Victoria with lots of small eateries and shops and house boats, It's very colourful and pretty although I don't have many pictures to show it!

Our Whale Watching tour was one of the few things we had organised before leaving home. There were a couple of options of boats we chose the larger and slower vessel because Phoebe is too short for the fast one and we also thought it would suit Joseph better. Based upon Trip Adviser reviews we booked Eagle Wing Tours at the hefty price of around £400! You are not guaranteed to see anything on these tours but I would imagine you would be quite unlucky not to.

The trip was amazing and worth every penny. We were out for approximately 3 hours, they have warm coats and hats on board because it is quite chilly out at sea. They employ the most knowledgable staff who really care for the environment and track the animals that they see from a conservation point of view.

Simon wearing a borrowed coat, they had boxes of these on board in every size.

The boat had an indoor seating area too which Phoebe and I retreated to a couple of times!

The first port of call was Race Rocks which is a conservation area and there is a website with webcams if you are interested in that kind of thing

racerocks.ca/home/

If you look closely at the picture below you will see the local celebrity sea otter called Ollie, Ollie is somewhat off the beaten track and is the only sea otter in British Columbia, he is a happy chap though and we were told an endearing story of how another sea otter swam by and didn't notice him, his one chance at love! Poor Ollie!

Then for the main event. The first whales we saw were humpbacks! Interesting fact they are protectors and they have been known to hide seals under their fin to protect them from the view of Orca! Stunning creatures!

We then saw some pods of Orca including the mother who had been in the news recently for carrying a dead calf for weeks (poor thing)

(apologies for the poor iphone photos)

We came back to the harbour exhilarated and educated by the experience!

By this stage we were hungry and a bit tired. We considered the options of the harbour but Simon enjoyed Spinnakers so much we took a harbour taxi to just outside there and we had delicious haddock and chips and a beer flight. No photos I'm afraid as we were too busy talking about our wildlife sightings!

Picture of some happy faces on the Harbour Taxi

From there we made the 10 minute walk back to the RV and noticed that the cruise ship was back again!

Exhausted we fell into bed mindful of a long drive the following day.

Victoria was lovely. Hopefully we will get to visit again and take more of it in! A day doesn't really do it justice!

Edited at 07:21 PM.
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Today sounds like a pretty perfect day for you all, well apart from the wait for coffee for you!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Today sounds like a pretty perfect day for you all, well apart from the wait for coffee for you!
Yes it was wonderful ! The coffee situation was resolved the next day!
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Loving your reports! That was really interesting to hear about the protection of seals Glad you found your coffee in the end!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Loving your reports! That was really interesting to hear about the protection of seals Glad you found your coffee in the end!
Ah glad you are enjoying reading! I like writing them, brings back some lovely memories!

The boat trip was one of the highlights of our holiday!
Old 24 Nov 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
a busy day in a beautiful place
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List