Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Georgemac and Crew – Last Minute Tour 07 – Preamble

Georgemac and Crew – July 2007 – Preamble

20th July – 3rd August - Last Minute Tour – BIL came too!

Here I am sitting in my cabin offshore on Thursday 12th July, starting a trip report for a holiday I never thought we would be having!

We had a wonderful holiday in Oct 2006 when myself, DW, DD and DS went on holiday. DD got engaged in Dec 2006 and we were hoping to go this year with DD and her BF. Looking at the options, July was the only one for us as we (DW & DS) are strictly tied to the school holidays, and I have a fixed work rota and Oct was just not possible this year. I was changing rota at work, and this was not finalised until April, I then had a look at options for July, but the prices were very high, and we were unsure how much we wanted to go as it would be very busy, very hot and we enjoy summer at home (If we get one!). We decided we would wait and see if there were any cheap late deals, and then decide at the last minute if we would go. DS is desperate to go back.

DD and her BF decided in May they were going to go on their own as they were definitely going this year, and in May they booked a trip for the end of August into September, luckily they can go outwith school holidays.

In June I started looking at the prices, everything from Scotland was at least £800 for flight only, including the low cost airline Globespan, who we travelled with last year. In the middle of the month, we got a quote from Premier Travel for £600 each for a 3 leg flight, ABZ/LGW/NYC/MCO with BA and Continental, this was rejected by DW who has always said she will not do 3 flights although I was keen. The prices then started to increase even for the 3 leg flights. I then resigned myself to not going to the land of the mouse in 2007.

I headed offshore at the start of July, the weather had been very bad in June and the summer did not look very promising. Saw 2 of my colleagues who had just returned from Florida and would not stop telling me how great a time they had, and how cheap everything is with the great exchange rate! Started to look for flights again, with no joy until Sat lunchtime, when while browsing while having lunch at my desk, found First Choice had dropped the prices from Manchester to £500. Glasgow was still over £800. Called my wife, and she said book, so that was all I needed, done! She did ask if we should ask her younger brother (20) if he wanted to come, and I said yes, but there were only 3 seats available, and we could not get in touch with him, so we booked immediately before the seats disappeared. Then my kind friend who has some airline contacts managed to arrange BMI flights for us from ABZ to MAN at a very reasonable price, and an overnight stay before flying at the Raddisson.

My wife then spoke to her brother, and he was very keen to go with us, so I phoned First Choice but the flight is full and only option was to wait for a cancellation. I also kept checking the website when I had a chance. On Tuesday afternoon I was checking before the start of my nightshift, and First Choice had 4 seats from Glasgow available for just over £500 – typical! Should have waited! I did not notice at the time whether they were econ or premium economy, but previously premium econ only were available. I called First Choice to be told I could have the 4 Glasgow seats, but would lose 90% of the money I had already paid for cancelling the Manchester flights – not an option! My wife called her brother who said he would be happy to fly from Glasgow on his own, and meet us in Sanford. Glasgow flight is 1 hour 45 minutes earlier, so flight was booked and he gets Premium Economy for the same price as we are for economy! By late Tuesday evening some of these seats were also gone.
During this time I had also started to look for a villa, definitely not as easy as when you are at home! I got some very good offers, including some very good quotes from Dibb Villa owners. I don’t know if I made the right choice, but I decided I would choose by location first, and last year I had said I fancied trying the Champions Gate area, for easy access to the I4, reduced driving time and not having to use the 192, which I thought would be extremely busy. I had 2 good quotes for very nice homes at Windwood Bay, and went for the one with internet access as the kids like to keep in touch with their mates at home – this just appears to be part of their life now. The 5 bed, 4 bath is larger than we need, but also has games room, and is the first time I have booked with a US owner, who was very helpful and quick to reply to all queries. Paid by paypal which was easier than I thought it would be, and was able to choose to let my Credit Card company set the exchange rate rather than Paypal. One of the dibb villas was on Windwood Bay, but had no internet or I would have gone for that one. The other villa we considered was another Dibb villa, brand new on Tuscan Hills nearer the 192 end of HW27, villa had everything and was lovely and if I had chosen by house and not location would have booked this one – think DW preferred this one but I drive so she let me choose, just hope the one we booked is fine (or I’ll be in the doghouse!), and hoping to have easy access to Sherbeth/Disney using Lake Wilson Road, which I have been told is not a busy road.

Then to USrentacar, booked the free fullsize to SUV upgrade, so hoping to get a nice vehicle, and unsure if I have the bottle to try the $20 trick to get a better upgrade which has been talked of on here! I would like to try but my bottle will probably go!

We have our Disney non – expiry tickets and Universal annual passes, so that has turned out to be a good buy. Checked Discovery Cove, and showing no availability, I know DW does not fancy this and not sure about the 2 boys, so not sure if we will try for cancellations for this. DD and her BF are going later this year to DC, and I think I would love it, but we’ll see what happens. My wife’s brother is going back next year with his parents, so will get non expiry Disney for him and Universal AP, thanks Steve for the code for the 2nd year free offer.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 07, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We will only probably do a couple of days at Disney, more IOA/Universal and Busch and Seaworld are a must, have to decide about DC before we buy tickets for Seaworld/Busch though. No itinerary – no time to make one up! Because BIL has not been for a very long time we will probably spend more time in the parks doing the rides, which DS prefers anyway.

DS is away at camp so does not know this holiday is booked, and does not know BIL is coming. BIL is his hero, and is just over 5 years older than him. We are going to try and keep it a surprise for DS about the holiday until we head off to Manchester, and are hoping to keep from him about BIL going, and watch his surprise when we meet him at Sanford! This will be hard to keep secret though!

So hopefully we are all set, I am disappointed that DD and her BF will not be with us, but am sure we will visit Florida together some time in the future. She has somehow though persuaded me to pay for her holiday now as I would have paid for her to come with us – kids can be very persuasive at times!

It is now Thursday 18th July, the day we fly to Manchester, and the final update to our preamble. Pleased to say that DS still does not have a clue we are heading to Florida, he thinks we are heading down to Manchester for a long break. DW has taken all the jeans and warm tops he said to pack and hidden them in her wardrobe, and all the Florida gear is packed. Have done the online checkin for the BMI flights, bought Seaworld/Busch 14 day passes online (DC fully booked), and will have to pick up BIL’s Disney non-expiry ticket at UndercoverTourist pick up in Kissimmee.

Just have to hope now that all goes to plan, and both flights tomorrow are on time!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 07, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

I can't wait to hear what your DS's reaction is when he finds out he's going back to Florida and that his uncle is coming.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 07, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Lots of last minute planning there George. I'm looking forward to the rest of your trippies
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 07, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm so looking forward to hearing about your DS's reaction when he found out he was returning to Florida.
Old 6 Aug 07, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Can't wait to read about your DS finding out you are going to Orlando
Old 6 Aug 07, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post

what a lovely surprise that will be.
Old 6 Aug 07, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Some nifty planning there George
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 07, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

So, did you keep it a suprise from your ds?

Jodie
Old 7 Aug 07, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8