highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Highlander’s Twisted Easter 08 Tour Day 10

Highlander’s Twisted Easter 08 Tour Day 10
Cast of Today’s Performance:
Me- Steve (Planner, Provider, Easily Pleased)
DW-Jacquie (Does what she’s told when it suits)
DD-Stephanie (Princesses grow up, be warned)
DS- Danny (Here’s hoping he grows up)

Day 10 Saturday 29th March RPR/Wrestlemania/Universal?Mardi Gras

Today we check into RPR for 2 nights, DS had a choice as well today, the Celtic game against Rangers was being shown today and Wrestlmania fan tour was at Universal as well, he chose the fan tour and considering the score just as well, we where all up early around 7am, after breakfast got a cab to the RPR, while me and DW checked in the kids headed to the park as you needed a special wrist band to get to meet the WWE superstars and they where only giving out 200 of said bands, on checking in I asked about upgrades as I’m a platinum member, told nothing available I queried whether a manager was available as I’m pretty sick of a loyalty program that doesn’t reward the higher level members, I got the front desk manager Linda who remembered us from last year she was apologetic, I did tell her that after our last stay in October that Chris Garcia the manager had told me to email ahead before next stay as he wanted to impress us and make up for last stay in very unimpressive Club, she went and got him, he apologized as he never received the email despite fact that my wife’s spa request in same email was booked, he promised us a few treats for the kids and a treat for us adult by way of apology, I’ll jump right to what happened over 2 days, the kids got 1 basket with sweets and 1 soft toy which would be nice for a kid 1 kid that is but 2 teenagers?, we got a bottle of wine and nuts after 4 requests so basically my free welcome gift, we weren’t impressed by our stay, standards have gone no welcome as you arrive, no have you enjoyed your stay when you leave, late check out only 12:30pm despite being platinum, and we had to get a cab ourselves as the staff where too busy chatting, we wont be rushing back to RPR and it’s a shame as it was our favourite resort, so that’s my moan for next 2 days over.
After getting our keys and checking in luggage, we headed over to Universal to meet kids, Citywalk was busy setting up for the Ellen show, it was still only 8:30am but they had opened the gates early, we got a call from the kids to say they where in queue for wristbands, the Wrestlemania fan tour had taken over the NY public library area, myself and DW took the opportunity to wander and take some pics

The area around the NYC Public library was very busy and we couldn’t see the kids, but they saw us as they where inside one of the building adjacent they called us to let us know where they where, turned out everyone else that was waiting outside had no chance of a wristband as there where over 200 already in queue inside, we had a ride on mummy while we waited, the kids got the last two wristbands everyone behind them was turned away to say they where chuffed is an understatement, they had to return in an hours time to join the queue to meet the WWE superstars, once the wristbands had been given out the area opened up and the fun began, they where doing free airbrush tattoo’s, free sample games, free pics, free merchandise really was pretty good even had competitions giving away tix for Wrestlemania, we all got tats apart from DW, pics with championship belts, kids got their autographs, we purchased Universal autograph books that incl a photo album, the WWE stars on duty where Teddy Long (General Manager), Gillian Hall (WWE Diva), Deuce, Domino, and Cherry, Hillbilly Jim, plus a few other older ones, great atmosphere and weird as well as Universal is home to TNA the competition, throughout the day we spent a few hours her e

We also explored Universal today riding MIB 6 times in row and DD was in lead for first time in 11 trips, we rode Disaster which was good, Jaws went tech, mummy great as always, but unfortunately no Simpson ride open

At around noon I got a call to tell us our room was ready at RPR; we headed back to RPR to stow away the luggage, this took a couple of attempts as they sent up someone to collect our luggage rather than deliver it (like I said standards way gone), our room was in tower 3 and a crap view but room was ok

Finally luggage stored we attempted to return to Universal only to find Ellen had commandeered the walkways and we couldn’t get to Universal and the staff said it’d be another 30mins at least before they’d know when it’d open up, (another rant here We pay for tix, we pay to stay onsite, but a star who gets everything comped gets in paying guests way on its busiest weekend, go figure), we had lunch in Pastamore to kill time as we didn’t want to just wait with the sheep, a full cheese pizza, milkshakes, beer $22 after discount (passholders note Pastamore now only 10% discount from 15%),

Once refuelled we attempted access to Universal again and this time no problems, we rode our rides with FOTL being a godsend as it was packed today and very busy, we also watched the Beetlejuice show always a fave of ours

Around 5 we returned to room and rested for a couple of hours, also paid for internet for day to find out Celtic score , the kids gift basket was waiting (already commented on it), we left the room at 7 changed and refreshed and sober, well almost did have a few glasses of wine I brought with me, we headed over to Universal no one was hungry yet so it was decided to grab something in Universal, first stop was Lost and Found where we found Bev (a dibber known as Bev, or a DIS known as phantom), she was taken aback by my hair and it actually left her speechless which is a first as usually she has quite a sharp tongue and wit, we chatted for awhile before saying goodbye

We then headed for Horror Make Up Show excellent as always, then onto MIB where I reclaimed my crown, with FOTL we rode this 5 times tonight, DD also tried a Squishee from the cart outside the Simpson’s store, basically an Icee but cheaper

The Simpsons ride looks great in dark all lit up, I also purchased a new shot glass for this years Mardi Gras and a Simpsons one for my collection,
The Mardi Gras parade was good but crowded as usual, we got a spot outside Shrek which allowed you to vie without too much jostling, kids got a few beads, but not as many as years gone by, throughout the night lots of people commented on my wig as it changed colour with led lights and was more noticeable at night

After the parade we attempted to watch Heart but it was crazy busy and far too much jostling, I was ready to give up and leave as it was an enjoyable experience, but a guy told me if I wanted a decent viewing sot to head into the stage area as it was a lot clearer in there, taking his advice we headed in and lo and behold it was the crowds melted away as you got further in, we also managed to grab some food here, a couple of Hoagies, pizza, fires and shrimp $25, Heart where really great and did two encores there where a lot of Heart fans in the crowds and it was a great atmosphere, on way back to hotel via Citywalk I bought DD one of those airbrushed t-shirts that only cost $25 but miraculously the final bill is $36 after adding words already displayed on design, by 11:30pm we where in our room and no wine was waiting, lucky I had brought my own, a night cap before a very cold sleep
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 08, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like a good day well except for the Celtic score
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 08, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MonstersFAN
slightly serious Dibber

How fab that you got to see Heart. Gutted we missed Mardi Gras this year but we went early to get a 3rd time out of our Annual Passes!

LOVE THE HAIR!

Claire
Old 21 Apr 08, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You certainly know how to fill your day Steve lol.
And apart fromn a few frustrations sounds a good one.
We haven't done Universal for quite a few years and it sounds like it has changed quite a bit.Must add it back onto my list to do again soon.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 08, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Sounds like a great day. I know I had a great day too because I support Rangers,
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 08, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Another very busy day. Shame about the poor service at the RPR.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 08, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mardi Gras looks great. Love your wig!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 08, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Carol_G
Imagineer

Carol_G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
Oohh Sexy Hair

Shame about RPR Steve but im glad the kids got wristbands.

I bought my DS one of those T Shirts and surprisingly like you, the bill was more than we were first told.

Sounded a fun packed day, look forward to the rest.
Carol_G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 08, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
donnakirby
Apprentice Imagineer

donnakirby's Reviews
another great trip report.

we loved mardi gras when we went in 2006.

look forward to the next chapter.
Old 23 Apr 08, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Would have loved to have seen Heart, they are a great band. Good day after the disappointment with RPR, and I agree with your comments about not being able to get into the park for a "comped" star.

Still, FOL worth it's weight in gold though? Even worth the disappointment of the service, and that is why they will still be able to sell all the rooms, FOL.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List