Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Yes, I Know It's Over a Year Ago - Day Five

Friday 17th August

93°F, 34°C

Again, we were all up early so, after a quick breakfast of cereal, we headed off at about 8am to Epcot. They were nearly finished stripping the ball of its decoration – we just caught the tail-end of it.

We were very near the front and joined in with the countdown to opening. As it finished, we headed over to Soarin’, along with practically everyone else who was waiting! At the rope, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale came along to meet people – Stephen was able to shake hands with almost all of them.

At rope drop, we walked straight over to Soarin’ and were able to ride the second flight. We all loved it – especially smelling the oranges and spotting the hidden Mickey. Stephen asked to go on again so we got fastpasses, as the queue had really built up.

We headed to Living with the Land, which seemed much more interesting than I remember as a child! (But where has the song gone? Didn’t it used to be ‘Listen to the Land’?!) Nigel went into full teacher mode, taking photos that would be useful in future teaching topics!

We watched the Circle of Life film and then headed on out. We passed the Character Connection – well, there was no getting Stephen past that, so we joined the queue! Photos and autographs all round

and then it was time for our Soarin’ fastpasses. Just as good the second time around!

We were getting a bit peckish by this time so decided to stop and grab lunch at the Sunshine Seasons food court. Stephen had a kids sub meal with carrot sticks and apple sauce and Nigel and I both went for the Chinese plates. None of us were particularly impressed with this but it was OK. As we came out, Stephen wanted to play in the jumping fountains so we headed that way and then he saw something that made his holiday.

Cont...
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 08, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Life doesn’t get any better for a Figment fan so, rather than trying to top that, we headed over to World Showcase. Started off in Canada where Stephen began his Kidcot mask and we explored.

On to the UK, where we browsed the shops and were lucky enough to meet Alice and Mary Poppins in the garden around the back. As we came back, the World Showcase Players were just about to start a performance, so we settled in to watch, while Nigel nipped to the pub and came back with a pint of cider! It was a great show with lots of audience participation that we joined in with – until I got roped in to actually be in the show as the wicked old wizard. Stephen and Nigel thought it was hilarious – I thought I was going to die of embarrassment but they were so lovely and it was actually really good fun.

They did give me a special badge to wear so I wouldn’t have to be in any more street shows!

We moved on to France, stopping to have a Photopass taken in front of the Eiffel Tower. We were very hot now, so decided to go and watch the film in France. We all really enjoyed this – there weren’t many people in there at all, which was a shame. Stephen said it was a bit like Soarin’ but instead it was Boatin’, Drivin’, Ridin’, Hidin’ etc! Love that seven-year-old logic!

Couldn’ resist stopping off at the Bakery for a treat – Nigel had a chocolate mousse, Stephen had an éclair and I had a Napoleon. So delicious but so rich – we definitely planned to come back!

Had to take this photo of the boy who hopes to be an artist when he grows up.

Cont ...
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 08, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
We continued around World Showcase, exploring and doing the Kidcot stops. We got as far as Japan, where Stephen was particularly chuffed they wrote his name in Japanese and then took the boat back to Future World. We went in to Club Cool and tried a few drinks – several nice ones; even the Beverly wasn’t too bad, although Stephen didn’t like it. Explored Imagination Works a bit and altered some photos to send home and did a bit of shopping.

We headed back to the Land Pavilion to see if Stephen could get into Jr Chef to make cookies. He did! He got a chef’s hat with his name on it and his job was to sift the flour. All the kids got to put the cookie mix on the baking tray before they went in the magic oven and they came out uniform in size and shape – and cold! Stephen said afterwards, “I didn’t think the oven was really magic but I didn’t want to spoil it for the little ones!”

He was really tired by this point but kept going – think the sugar rush of two cookies helped!

We decided to head home but Stephen was desperate to spend some of his money on a Figment soft toy and we managed to find one in the gift shop before leaving.

We ended up at Sizzler’s to eat – not a great choice. We’d not been to one before and it threw us that we had to choose from the menu on the board before we sat down. Stephen had fish and chips, Nigel had chicken strips and I had steak and shrimp. We had really poor service and we ordered the wrong things - there was just way too much food with the buffet as well. The food was OK but we would not return. They gave Stephen a balloon as we left, which he loved but he managed to let go of it when we got home and got upset as he was so tired. He soon cheered up when we all got in the pool and he managed to swim a length – yay!

All showered and then time for a few drinks, nibbles and a game of cards by the pool. Stephen was asleep by 8.30 – we all need a lie-in tomorrow.

Edited at 11:23 PM.
Old 21 Sep 08, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post

A lovely day with beautiful photos.

I agree with you about Sizzlers - the last thing you are prepared for entering a restaurant is to know what you are going to order.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 08, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post

another great day had by all!
Old 21 Sep 08, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Another busy day with more great photo's looking forward to reading more.
Old 22 Sep 08, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Lovely to wander around EPCOT doing the masks. I know a lot of families say it doesn't interest them, but ours have always loved exploring there.

Shame about Sizzler, live and learn I suppose. We had great food at Sunshine Seasons, I suppose it's hit and miss as to choices. Looking forward to more reports!
Old 26 Sep 08, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
What a lovely day. I love wandering around Epcot. We must try that French movie will all the Ridin' & Hidin' going on!
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 08, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great day