Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 May 09, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Bill & Jools return to Florida 09 Day 13

Day 13 – 13 May. Miami
Weather today – just lovely

We were both really looking forward to the Miami part of our holiday and we checked out of the Fountains soon after 9am. We had breakfast at Perkins at the Crossroads to ‘set us up’ for the long journey. The food was good, and the service was quick. Bill had an omelette and I had the 2 egg classic. We were soon on the road for Miami and were relying on Mrs Tom Tom to get us there – she’s pretty good you know the way she knows how to get everywhere. I have no sense of direction at all so I don’t know which way we went but I know we joined the Florida Turnpike and once on there it was straight ahead for the next 210 miles when we were going to turn right (or maybe left I don’t know as I have no sense of direction). The journey time was going to be 3 hours and so many minutes (I can’t remember how many minutes). It was quite a boring journey. The only amusement was in seeing how many bugs hit the windscreen. There were thousands of the little blighters. Honestly you could see them as it looked like black snow through the windscreen. They made quite a noise splatting against the screen also. The car was soon covered in bugs and the windscreen wipers did nothing to get rid of the mess. In fact they only smeared the bugs and made it worse.

We stopped at a service area after about 100 miles to clean the screen so we would be safe again – ie able to see through it. It took a lot of water (and napkins from the Starbucks there) to get everything clean again. We also filled up with Gas before setting off again. Eventually we reached our exit and turned off for Miami – yay! We easily found our resort the Solara Surfside, which is in would you believe Surfside, a few streets down from South Beach Miami. We’d stayed here before 2 years ago and really liked it. Our room was ready. Here are some photos of it.

I’d ordered and paid for Miami Go Cards for us so we went straight out to collect them from the Miami Beach visitor centre. The cards came with a useful guide book showing which tours and attractions were available using the Go Card. We went back to the resort ( via Publix for some goodies for the room) and straight out again to the beach. The resort is on the beach which is great as we were on the beach in no time at all.

Bill wanted to go in the sea but I wasn’t keen as it looked quite rough. I could see a woman who was repeatedly swept off her feet so the chicken in me said no. So we just lay on the sun loungers provided by the resort. Now these are very low to the sand and of course sank into the sand even further when we lay on them, they were very comfy although I thought maybe they’d be difficult to get up from later. Well I was right on that score. The woman who’d been swept off her feet in the sea was lying not far away from us and I saw her struggle to get up, as did her husband. Hmm how to do this thought I? I shuffled to the end of the lounger hoping I could get up from there. Well that was a big mistake as the whole thing tipped up and I went sprawling face first into the sand – ho hum, there was no pretending I meant to do that either. Was Bill sympathetic? No of course he wasn’t he just cracked up laughing at me. I was also laughing which started my barking cough again. The woman and her husband also found it very funny and said they didn’t feel so bad now. Honestly I could hardly breathe for laughing and coughing but did manage to get up sand sticking to all the sun screen I’d carefully applied. Ah well we’d had a good afternoon.

We got back to the room, where we booked a couple of tours via the go Miami card. We booked to do a Miami City Tours and short everglades tours on Friday, and a tour to Key West on Saturday. We then showered – lots of sand in the shower I’m afraid and got ready to go out for tea as we were really hungry by this time (7.30). There is only valet parking at the resort and as we were waiting for the car I thought Bill had a new t-shirt on as the stitching was different. It wasn’t new at all he just had it on inside out, honestly I can’t take him anywhere. I sent him back inside to the men’s room to turn it the other way around before we set off.

We had gone to Tony Romas the last time we were here and really liked it so we went there again. It’s the only Tony Romas we’ve ever been to as we have never been in any of the Orlando ones. It was really busy in there which we took as a good sign. The food was lovely, we both had baked potato soup to start with, then Bill had a burger with rice while I opted for a pulled pork sandwich with loaded baked potato. I’d never had pulled pork before but have often heard it mentioned so I hoped I’d like it. Like it? It was lovely, I’ll be having that again for sure

After the meal we went back to the resort where we had some Key Lime pie we’d bought earlier form Publix and also a Bud with lime, which we’d also bought from Publix. Then it was time for bed

Edited at 08:33 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The resort and room looks lovely Jools - beautiful pics of the beach. LOL at you getting off the lounger and getting no sympathy - sounds just like what might happen to me! Not sure if I mentioned before you left but jungle island is a great day out when down in Miami if you like that sort of thing.

Pam.

Edited at 08:25 AM.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
That beach looks lovely
LOL's at you and the lounger episode
Glad you like the pulled pork, it is really nice.
Old 15 May 09, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ambersmom
Imagineer

ambersmom's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
You sounded just like my dm on that lounger lol, she always goes flying on them, lovely piccys again

Orl 90, Orl Clwtr 90, Orl 2000, Orl&ST Pt's 2001, Ky West Orl 02, Ftldale Orlando Naples 03, Orl, Clwater 04, Orlando Xmas 04, Miami Ft Myrs Orlando 05, Ftld Orlando 06, Orl 06, Orl Clwter 07 OrlXmas 07 Orlandoctr 08 OrlandoXmas 08 Orl 09 Orl 10 Orl Xmas 10
ambersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleB
Imagineer

What a gorgeous beach! Sorry you got attacked by the sun lounger but at least you saw the funny side!

WDW Feb 2007 Bahama Bay
Beach Club/HRH/ Bella Piazza condo Oct 2010 New York April 2012
HRH and OKW August 2014. Boston, White Mts and Maine 2016
Planning for California Sept 2019
MichelleB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Pam, we went past Jungle Island yesterday. I'd like to do it but we won't have time this holiday

Michelle, it was Neil talking about pulled pork that made me want to try it, I'm so glad I did - yum!

I opted for just a towel yesterday - no more tricky loungers for me
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
It can go on your list for the next time Bill takes you to Miami Jools

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The beach looks wonderful

Mmm Pulled Pork, it's one of my favourite things to eat in Florida

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Your room and the beach look fantastic. Had a little giggle at your sun lounger incident

I love pulled pork, glad you enjoyed it.
Old 15 May 09, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Oops how embarrassing was the sunlounger episode

I love pulled pork too

Glad you are having a good time in Miami.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List