Notices

Old 22 Jul 09, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Pre-Trippy

What is it about Disney? It makes you feel like a child again, lose yourself in the ‘magic’ and do irrational things. Like inviting the in-laws to come with you on your next trip

Back in February 2007, high on the euphoria of having discovered Disney’s ‘Best Kept Secret’ and purchased our own little piece of the magic (namely DVC at Disney’s Saratoga Springs), I mentioned to the in-laws that they should join us on a future trip. And so, here we find ourselves, just fourteen l-o-n-g months later, all packed and ready to head off for our 6th trip to the World. But this is no ordinary trip. Not only will the in-laws (I promise I will stop calling them that and introduce them properly in a minute) be joining us but, more importantly, this will be our first ever family trip. Yes, all of us will be discovering the magic together. Having taken five trips previously without the youngest member of the family, we finally decided he was old enough to fully appreciate the joys of a family holiday to Orlando.

So, it was decided. The seven of us would travel together on this holiday. The ‘when’ was fairly simple. It needed to be during school holidays, although the thought of paying ‘school holiday’ prices somewhat irked me. None of us fancied the idea of July or August, the hottest time of the year in Orlando (and most probably one of the busiest). I couldn’t possibly wait until September. In order to use our DVC points, it needed to be before September and so we chose to travel in the Easter holidays. I immediately started pricing up flights and was overjoyed to discover that Virgin Holidays didn’t seem to have cottoned on to the fact that many LEAs had switched to the 6-term year and, therefore, the Easter holidays fell outside of the normal Easter period. I quickly booked a flydrive for us all before VH realised the error of their ways and hiked up their prices. Reservations were duly made for 8 nights at Disney’s Villas at Wilderness Lodge and a further 6 nights at Old Key West. We will be staying in a 2-bedroom dedicated villa at both resorts and are very much looking forward to staying somewhere different.

I must admit to having taken a rather laid-back approach to this trip, due to many factors – the main ones being a) I have never travelled with a 5-year old before and have no idea what he is likely to be capable of in terms of early starts/late nights and b) I have never travelled with 2 pensioners before etc. etc. So, rather than blather on too much, allow me to introduce everyone.

Me (Joh aka Wilma-Bride) - I have introduced myself countless times in previous trippies and the detail never changes ( I just get older!) I love all things Disney (in fact, Disney is growing on me more and more with each and every trip) but also (gasp) love the Universal parks and Sea World. I am really looking forward to visiting Aquatica on this trip.

DH (Gary) – DH never ceases to amaze me when it comes to our trips to Orlando. I have always said that he humours me and indulges my need for an annual trip to the World but, in reality, I am becoming increasingly convinced that he loves it as much as I do and secretly longs to go back. He is the ultimate adrenalin junkie and prefers the Universal parks to Disney (but I can forgive him for that).

Me and DH taken on the Disney Wonder in Aug 07

DD1 (Sian) – Having just turned 15, Sian is at that ‘Kevin’ stage. I never know, from one day to the next, whether going to Disney World is cool or ‘meh’ (from the Oxford English Teenage Dictionary). Sian is also an adrenalin junkie and is really looking forward to her favourite rides, Rock’n’Roller Coaster and Duelling Dragons.

DD2 (Rhiannon aka Rea) – Rea turns 14 the day after we arrive in Orlando and is really excited about celebrating her Birthday in the Happiest Place on Earth. Our first day will be dedicated to her and she has made all the choices on where we will go and where we will eat that day. She doesn’t ‘do’ rollercoasters or fast rides but makes an excellent ‘bag minder’

DS (Daniel aka Danny Boy) – This is Daniel’s first trip to the World. He is really excited (obviously) and is most looking forward to seeing Mickey Mouse and the Power Rangers. Since the day we booked, he has been convinced that he is going to eat ice-cream for breakfast every day while we’re there (maybe once – we are on holiday, after all).

DMIL (Doreen aka Reeny) – Mother (as I call her) is almost as excited as me (no mean feat, I can tell you). She is looking forward to Kennedy Space Centre and the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. We get on really well (at the moment) and I just hope we are still on speaking terms at the end of the holiday.

DFIL (Charles aka Chuck) – Charles is the most easy-going, laid-back chap you could ever meet. He is a wonderful guy and, although he is not in the best of health, I have no doubt that (despite his protests about giant mice and ‘happy people’) he will join in with gusto and enjoy himself immensely. He is also looking forward to Kennedy Space Centre and, obviously, meeting the big cheese himself.

Me, Chuck and Reeny at DSIL's wedding reception

So, there you have it – the whole clan. Due to mega work commitments in the last few months and the aforementioned factors, I am ashamed to admit we don’t have an itinerary as such. We have a few ADRs (some of which I suspect we won’t even keep – don’t worry, I will cancel the ones we can’t make it to) and a couple of other things planned but, other than that, this is going to be a bit of a free-for-all. It remains to be seen whether that kind of approach will work when there are seven people to consider. We all have different ideas of what kind of holiday we want (and expect) and I suspect that the next fortnight won’t be without tantrums and frayed tempers (although I’ll try my best to control myself ).
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RT7
Imagineer

Lovely photos of your family. Looking forward to reading more.
RT7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss Mouse
Excited about Disney

Looking forward to reading the rest of your report!
July 08 Cypress Pointe, LBV. December 08 Fantasy World Villas, Kissimmee June 10 Fantasy World Villas and AKL Club Level, May 2012 Grand Beach Phase II, Lake Bryan, Orlando February 2013 Grand Beach Phase II, Lake Bryan, Orlando January 2014 Grand Beach Phase II, Lake Bryan, Orlando Sept 2015 West Coast Road Trip
Miss Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Firstly, please excuse me for going slightly off-topic I've just read this pre-trip report of and curiosity was sparked that it was Daniel's first trip to Mouse-land, so I've sort of been nosey to find out why that was the case.

I ended up on another trippie of yours and, blimey, what a story.

It's touched me particularly because I face the very real prospect of my daughter moving to Dubai with her Mum and your description of the lack of connectivity you suffered is my greatest fear, and something I struggle to comprehend pretty much daily.

It's absolutely amazing that you were able to re-build your relationship with your daughters after that separation. This trip must have been a very special one for all of you as a complete family in Orlando for the first time.

I look forward to reading more.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post

I, like Bozza, had to find out the reasoning behind Daniels first trip and OMG! I've just read your story and I'm so pleased for you all!

I'm off to read all about your family trip.

xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Firstly, please excuse me for going slightly off-topic I've just read this pre-trip report of and curiosity was sparked that it was Daniel's first trip to Mouse-land, so I've sort of been nosey to find out why that was the case.

I ended up on another trippie of yours and, blimey, what a story.

It's touched me particularly because I face the very real prospect of my daughter moving to Dubai with her Mum and your description of the lack of connectivity you suffered is my greatest fear, and something I struggle to comprehend pretty much daily.

It's absolutely amazing that you were able to re-build your relationship with your daughters after that separation. This trip must have been a very special one for all of you as a complete family in Orlando for the first time.

I look forward to reading more.
I'm really sorry to hear that. If you ever want to let off steam or discuss it with someone who knows what you're going through, please feel free to drop me a PM or email

Joh
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma Y
Put the kettle on

Emma Y's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I do like your trippies and your humour ! We were in Florida at the same time as you so it will be interesting to see if we were in any parks the same days.

Emma
Emma Y is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 09, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post

A great pre trip, fab photos! X.X
Old 23 Jul 09, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by solo View Post
A great pre trip, fab photos! X.X
I love that picture in your signature, where was it taken?

Edited at 03:19 PM.
Old 23 Jul 09, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Great pre-trippie!
I'm off to read more.