Our West Coast Adventure - July 2009 - Day 2

Day 2 - Bay Cruise & Alcatraz
Thursday 9th July

Day 1

Us lot…

DH (48) – Enzo – puts up with us and is happy as long as we’re happy

Me (39) – Angelina – the planner and tour guide

DD (16) – Gabriella – my shopping buddy…if there’s a Sephora…we’re in it

DS (13) – Gianni – likes to eat and always has a smile ready when he sees me point the camera at him

Today was our first ‘proper’ day in San Francisco. We had vouchers for our City Passes so headed down to the Powell and Hyde turnaround with the intention of paying for one ride to Fisherman’s Wharf then exchanging the vouchers at the Bay Cruise as the voucher says it can only be exchanged at one of the attractions.

What’s included in the City Pass:-

Seven days' unlimited use of cable cars and Muni public transport
Tickets to the new de Young Museum and Legion of Honor OR Exploratorium
San Francisco Bay Cruise
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
Aquarium of the Bay
California Academy of Sciences
There are also some vouchers for Blazing Saddles and various dining and shopping venues.

In hindsight, what a wonderful thing, we’d have been better off buying tickets on the day for the things we saw as we just have the time to see everything listed.

On our way down Powell Street we stopped off at Tad’s Steaks for breakfast. Not posh or fancy, it’s very much cafeteria style, comfy and did a more than adequate job of re-fuelling our tums. Unfortunately although I popped the receipt in my bag it seems to have disappeared into receipt heaven but I remember we were quite impressed with how reasonable the prices were. DD had an omelette, I had scrambled egg and toast and I think DH & DS went for eggs/bacon and potato combos. Very nice.

There was quite a line at the turnaround and I thought I’d nip to the ticket kiosk to see if I could swap the vouchers there. Nothing ventured…… No, I couldn’t, but I could at customer services downstairs. Handed the voucher over, flashed my driving licence and job done – 4 City Passes in my hand. By the time I emerged into the sunlight DH and DS had moved a little further along in the queue and our fellow travellers very kindly allowed DD and I to join them.

We hopped onto the Powell and Hyde cable car and trundled our way up to Fisherman’s Wharf. I managed to crick my neck and look very gormless I’m sure because I sat through the whole ride turning my head this way and that trying to peer up the steep streets and at the lovely buildings. It is so gorgeous. I loved so many of the houses.

So we arrived at the Hyde turnaround and made our was to Ghiradelli Square for….chocolate!

It’s quite pretty there and it was very peaceful. We had a lovely square of peanut butter chocolate given to us by the very nice lady by the door and made our way through the shop. Just a couple of purchases here…DS had a large chocolate square..he missed out on the peanut butter one because he doesn’t like peanut butter! Strange child…. DD had a yummy looking strawberry covered in chocolate. We sat outside whilst they both ate their delights then made our way over to the piers for our cruise.

The San Francisco Bay Cruise – What can I say? TAKE A SWEATER! If there’s one tip I read that I’m glad we didn’t ignore it was this one. We stood outside on the boat so we could get the full benefit of the chilly air. It was a very choppy, windy and cold ride until we turned around under the bridge and for some reason, I think I heard the guide say it was something to do with the currents, it is so much smoother on the way back. Still a tad cold though We were so lucky that the sky was clear today because the fog gradually came in over the next couple of days. On the way back the boat makes its way around the back of Alcatraz which is great because you don’t get to see that side otherwise.

On the way out -

Are you ready for photos of us wrapped up in July? You know when you're that cold you don't care how stupid you look with your hood up?

Once back on dry land we made our way to the Aquarium of the Bay and spent a pleasant time amongst the fish.

Lunchtime! We had a really nice lunch at Wipeout which was close to the Aquarium. 4 main courses and 4 drinks came to $72.08. Now I’m used to seeing sales tax listed on receipts but what’s San Francisco Health Fee @3.5%?

We walked by the market stalls at the pier with all the organic fruit on display. I wish I’d taken a photo now. I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of it in a Dibber’s trippie. My word the strawberries are humungous…you could make a fruit salad with just a couple lol Of course we had to buy some. DH picked up a big bag of cherries, I love blueberries so had a pot of them, DD had some dried mango and we bought 4 strawberries to share. This is when I confess what that little lot came to. $25. gulp. Still we’re on holiday. What the heck!

Edited at 06:14 PM.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 09, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Next up was a leisurely walk for another boat ride. This time we were off to Alcatraz. Fan-blooming-tastic! We all thought the tour here was brilliant. We made our way into the prison and were handed our headphones which were attached to i-pod-like devices and so began our guided tour. DH recorded some of the tour on the camcorder and it’s quite funny watching it because obviously you can’t here the voices from the headphones, just everyone’s footsteps and coughs.

Call me soft but it made me feel quite emotional listening to all the stories from ex-prisioners, guards and inhabitants of the island. I didn’t realise that the guards and their families lived on the island and were very happy there according to a lady that grew up there. Once the tour was over we walked through the obligatory shop (it’s like coming out of a ride in Disney ) and there was an ex-prisoner who was signing books about his time in Alcatraz. His best advice? Don’t do the crime. He wasted the prime of his life here.

After spending a couple of hours on Alcatraz we hopped back on the boat and made our way back to the mainland. We decided we’d walk back towards Union Square. On our way we passed a Boudin’s Sourdough Bakery and I was a bit concerned that we’d run out of time and never get to try the bread. So we duly nipped in a bought a little loaf and shared it. Erm….I don’t really like it! But at least I can say I tried it and they do make it into nice shapes

So on with the walk and lo and behold what do we see? Lombard Street! I took a couple of photos from the bottom of that winding road and then one of us, can’t remember who, suggested why don’t we, in pairs, race each other to the top of Lombard Street. You know why it’s winding don’t you? It’s because it’s a STEEP road…very steep. Why didn’t this cross my mind before I set off on the run up the right hand side with DS. I so didn’t want to let Gianni down so off we pelted up those steps. I honestly though my chest was going to burst open. The pain was unbelievable. My legs were like jelly. We won though! Boy were we wheezing by the time we got to the top lol wonder how many Weight Watcher’s points I earnt doing that!

Praise the Lord! At the top of Lombard Street is a cable car stop and along came a cable car with room for all 4 of us on it. Getting to Union Square on the cable car seemed a much better idea than walking now.

This is where things go a bit pants

We were making our way to the hotel because quite frankly we were all pooped by now, when Gianni lifted his t-shirt up and said ‘what do you think these spots are mum?’ er hello…do I look like a doctor? So I turned to DH and asked him the same thing lol He didn’t have a clue either funnily enough. ‘They look like these spots on my arm’ adds Gianni.

Off to Walgreens we go and ask the pharmacist if there’s anything she can give us for this rash. She didn’t like the look of it and said it would be best to see a doctor and gave a card for a local one. Now I’ll be honest we thought it was a bit of an over-reaction and ummed and ahhed about whether or not to do the whole doctor thing. We got back to our room and DH called our insurers who weren’t particularly helpful but we thought maybe you had to get their permission or something before trundling to the docs. Eventually a reference number was given and Enz took Gianni for an examination whilst Gabriella and I watched a bit of tv.

Some time later……the boys get back and it turned out Gianni had impetigo! He'd had a scab on his elbow for a couple of days before we came out and we just put it down to one of his normal grazes from playing rugby. The doctor said it was the mother-scab. Well he called it something else but I can't remember what he said it was now lol Now the doctor practically scared Gianni half to death because rather than saying impetigo from the start he said he had a flesh-eating disease! Anyway they came back with antibiotics, a couple of iodine swabs and a couple of sachets of Neosporin (antibiotic gel)…that little lots cost $50 and the doctor’s time was about $120. They also came back with the advice to buy long sleeved t-shirts and change into a clean one after each of the 4 showers that Gianni was supposed to have each day. Er….I don’t think so!

The hotel very kindly sent up a camp bed to go between the double beds so that Gianni could have the bed to himself because obviously we had to be careful not to share bed-linen or towels. Time enough to have the sheets changed tomorrow.

So we eventually managed to go to sleep after Gianni had a shower and Enz did the whole treatment malarkey. I have to confess I fell asleep before Gianni had even stepped into the shower. Try as I might I just couldn’t keep my eyes open.

Day 3

Edited at 08:22 PM.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 09, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Oh what bad timing for your son to get impetigo on holiday - always the way though isn't it? love the race up Lombard st!
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 09, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
donnakirby
Apprentice Imagineer

donnakirby's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Another great day - am looking forward to reading the rest xx
Old 15 Aug 09, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Sounds like another great day apart from Gianni ending up at the hospital,. Lovely photos again
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 09, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
love the race up Lombard st!
Well I'm glad someone did lol
Old 15 Aug 09, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Loving your reports - this will be us next year

Hope Gianni was ok

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 09, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Wow did loads today Lol at you all in your hood up hoodies. IT must have been freezing. Poor Gianni, I hope he recovered quickly.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 09, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yep, it was cold on the bay. We did the Alcatraz tour in the morning and the fog was very atmospheric.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 09, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I didn't know that you could get impetigo on other parts of your body. Poor Gianni... hope he recovered quickly.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List