Anne – Wife [Not a coaster or big ride of any sort fan]
James – son (15) [Not a coaster or big ride of any sort fan]
Bethan – daughter (12 – almost 13) [Not a coaster fan]
James & Sue (Friends) [James is a coaster fan, Sue isn’t!]
Niall (17) [Coaster fan]
Connor (14) [Coaster fan]
Liam (11) [Coaster fan]

Day 5 (31st March)
Today was down as a “rest day”, but we were having none of that. We decided to visit Disney’s' Hollywood Studios. When we were here in 2004 we went on Memorial Day weekend, and it was a nightmare and we gave up very early, hot and frustrated by huge, huge crowds. Today was almost as busy, but we had more of a strategy and it worked and made for a good day.

Through the turnstiles and the daredevils went straight to Tower of Terror whilst the others scooted off for a Fast Pass for Aerosmith's Rock n Roller Coaster. TOT was probably for me about the most scary thing so far – only because I don't like that “dropping feeling”, (bizarre given I love coasters and also see SheiKra later!) and dropping 13 stories (fast) whilst seated isn't that funny. But it was good – in retrospect. The theming inside TOT is also brilliant and I was very glad I did it having missed out in 2004.

Aerosmith Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Fast Passes collected (for the same TOT crew) we went on the Back Lot tour – very impressive, with all the props and stuff from genuine movies and also a genuine working place too. We walked straight out of the tour into the “Lights, Motor, Action” vehicle stunt show whilst our friends opted for another event. We first saw this in Disneyland Paris, and it's just as good second time around. A definite must see, and terrific driving and stunt skills on show. One of the highlights of the holiday for me show wise.

After this show finished I had just 10 mins to leg it to the other side of the park to Aerosmith for my FP, whilst the others dawdled. I just made it, and due to the wonders that are a Fast Pass was on the coaster in about another 10 mins. It's another awesome ride – the speed at the start is the icing on this particular ride as you go from 0 – 50+ mph in 2.8 seconds flat. Especially for those that haven't done this ride before, the line going pas the start tunnel gets the appetite whetted (or not depending on your point of view) as the car sits waiting and then just blasts off into the tunnel at an amazing rate. Remember to breathe, and the twisting looping action with Aerosmith pounding in your ears makes it a wonderful experience.

Meeting up with the family again who had Fast Passed “Star Tours” whilst I was on Aerosmith we hotfooted to the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular – another really great show with some astounding special effects – great family entertainment. From there it was literally straight out of the exit onto Star Tours, a simulator ride which we all did – even those not fond of too much adrenalin! I'm a huge Star Wars fan so loved it to b its. It's fairly short, but very well done (isn't everything), and the FP again meant virtually a direct walk on even with the crowds because other people had been in the shows. That was followed by Muppet Vision 3D (daughter's request), not one of my faves, but pleasant enough. We caught the parade at 3pm before deciding to call it a day.

Good Fast Pass planning and ride/show planning helped make the day – for several “events” we'd planned it that the next one was actually next door to the one we'd just come off.

Small children tip. Several toddlers didn't like Lights, Motor, Action (too loud and some VERY big bangs) or Muppet Vision 3d – too many things poking out of the screen at them!

In the evening we had priority booked a table at the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. Remember this isn't a table reservation or a guarantee of a table time, it's only a “tentative” reservation. Our first problem was parking. Though DTD parking lots are huge, there was hardly a space to be had and we ended up parking at Cirque du Soleil – the wrong end of DTD! A 15 min “rush” later we were at Rainforest about 10 mins after our due time. Luckily they hadn't called us, but did so within about 5 mins. It was a fabulous – though expensive meal. Our server Larry, was kind enough to remark how nice it was to hear children with manners (pleases and thank yous) which was very nice to hear. The food was to die for (huge portions) and the ladies got to keep their Rainforest Cafe cocktail glasses – buy the drink, get the glass free! The theming in the restaurant is superb, including the animatronic animals and the occasional thunderstorm! If you only do one big meal, I'd recommend the RFC, though you'll probably have to book well in advance.

Lastly for today, it had really warmed up, hitting 80 degrees, and the forecast looks good for at least the next week, especially for our day (just our family) at Discovery Cove on Easter Sunday!

Day 6 (1st April)
We had Islands of Adventure down tentatively for today, but had not bought tickets, but by now the kids in particular were shattered – big panda eyes and we decided to have a proper day off. It was lovely to have a lie in, and we got the opportunity to stock up at Wal Mart whilst our friends went off shopping to the Florida Mal, about 45 min away. They said it was OK, but traffic was dreadful (and was pretty bad all holiday actually).

We also started to plan our strategy for the next day’s trip to the Magic Kingdom, which promises to be fun but potentially the busiest day of the holiday crowd wise.

The temperature has been rising all the time. It's been very hot today. Great to have a villa with your own pool. We had ours heated – possible could have got away without it, but on balance better to have it warmer than colder! We've all caught the sun and sun cream very much in evidence.

I found a small lizard inside our netted pool area today too – friendly chap who I moved outside.

Petrol is so cheap here! Assuming my maths is roughly ok, it's working out about £1.85 a gallon as opposed to about £5.20 a gallon back home. Completely bonkers. Whilst we're on the subject, driving is pretty easy, even with a lot of traffic around. Just take it easy and work on road numbers rather than anything else. Much easier to say 192 west then 27 south than worry about things like town names! Turning right on red (be careful) is also great and U turns are just a way of life. And driving in any lane is the norm, so I've become a middle lane hogger (something I despise back home).

Day 7 (2nd (April)
Magic Kingdom today. Not sure if doing it on Good Friday was a good call or not – let's wait and see.
Up with the lark to make sure we're there early to avoid the (worst of) crowds. We where in the park by 8.05am via a car park the size of the UK, a tram and a monorail. Compulsory bag searches as at all the parks was quick and efficient.

Our strategy today was based on the following. It's going to be mad. Let's do the left side of the park (Adventure and Frontier lands) and take the rest as it comes. If we did Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain and the Jungle Cruise, we'd have taken that. We FP'd the Jungle Cruise (always hilarious) and headed straight to Big Thunder Mountain. Because we were at the park early, and knew where we were going it was a virtual walk on, and a great ride which all 9 of us did. Off Big Thunder and all but 2 of us decided to do Splash Mountain as the wait was showing only 5 mins. It turned out to be less. It's brilliantly themed around the Brer Rabbit stories and the 5 story drop at the end wasn't as fearsome as I recalled from 2004. Did get a bit wet though! After that we all went off to the Pirates of the Caribbean expecting by then a fair queue, but again it was only a 5 minute wait. It was brilliant and the teeming is exceptional as usual. I even bought a PotC T-Shirt. With about 20 minutes to kill before our Jungle Cruise FP we did the Tiki Tea Rooms show and declared it not very good (unless you're 4 years old and fond of animatronic parrots). Most of the crew also did Aladdin (again a good 4 year old ride, but our youngest in the party was 11 but everyone including the adults seemed to love it. We still had 10 mins to our FP but it was a walk on to Jungle Cruise so we just went for it. If you haven't done this ride, it's a cruise through a jungle river with animatronic animals and teeming, but the highlight is the droll cheesy patter of your “captain” – I love this ride, even though the jokes are awful!
All that lot was done in just about 2 hours, so we were doing exceptionally well against our plan – better than expected by a long way. We decided to try and FP Space Mountain – all of us, including those 3 in the group who (seriously) aren't coaster fans. Tomorrowland was much busier than Frontierland but we still got a FP for 12.15pm. In the meantime we all did the brilliant Buzz Lightyear (15 min standby) where 17 year old Niall top scored with 280,000+ and then we went to Monster Inc. Laugh Floor. Again this is very well done. We also did Stitches Great Escape which pretty much everyone decided was not very good. Half way though the line for Stitch, the other Dad in our party realised he'd left his camera on the Buzz ride and legged it back. Fortunately someone had handed it back in (thanks whoever you are).
Just before our FP for Space Mountain was due we did the Tomorrowland Transit Authority tram ride. As this goes though Space Mountain, and you could hear screams, I'm not sure it was best prep for the nervous ones in our party. But they still went on. I love coasters, but my preference is for ones where you can see where you're going, so SM isn't my favourite, but it is good, and everyone came off saying they were glad they'd done it.

By now (12.30pm) the park was heaving and we decided to make our way to Peter Pan and FP it. When we got there however, the FP was closed and the standby was over an hour so we decided to grab lunch and then do Mickey's Philharmagic. Lunch was a small pizza and 3 salads and 2 cokes in an eatery nearby and came to $37. Not cheap, but you know it's coming I guess.
Mickey's Philharmagic is a great cartoon 3D show. We all loved it. As we had already exceeded our expectations for the day we pushed on, and went to the Haunted House Mansion. The queue – sorry – line, was showing an amazing (amazing to be so short) 30 mins only, but in the end took a fair bit longer. At one point we stood still going nowhere for about 15 mins so something might have broken. Once in the house, the final queue for the cars is a bit chaotic by Disney standards, and I wouldn't want to have to evacuate people from there in a hurry. But we got on, and the ride was great. I was with Bethan who professed to be a bit scared, but I reckon she was bluffing!
When we came out it was just before 3pm and we got a great vantage point for the parade – but in the sun and it was topping 85 degrees today so very warm. The parade as usual was brilliant, many high fives with the characters too. That was about it. Fairly tired by then, and very hot we made our way back to the car via the Ferry Boat and tram, ramped up the A/C to maximum and had an easy drive home to the pool. Eating in tonight. Pasta. Yum.

Day 8 (3rd April)
Pool man came today – talking to him he said it's been the coldest winter in Florida since 1948, with fractured pipes and even snow flurries in January. Talking of snow, today we went to Blizzard Beach, the wonderfully snow themed Disney water park. Though cloudy, the temps still got up into the eighties and it was plenty warm enough. As predicted, the park was busy, but we were there for opening and got a good spot, though there were plenty of sunbeds to go round. We opted to buy a refillable drinks mug at about $10 – good value if you plan on drinking a lot (and you need to) and haven't brought your own drinks in. Single drinks are around $2.50, so as they say in the US “do the math”! I reckon we refilled ours at least 9 or 10 times through the day with coke and sprite, so worth it – and of course you get to keep the mug!

The daredevils did Summit Plummet when we were here in 2004, and though we had planned to do it again, the queue quickly built to an hour plus and stayed there all day. Fun though it undoubtedly is (if you can call a 120ft near vertical free fall water slide fun) I didn't fancy queuing that long for a 6 second ride, so that one sadly was missed out today.
Unfortunately the other ride we really wanted to do, Teamboat Springs – a family size rubber ring ride was closed due to “unfavorable ski conditions”, though the acres of scaffolding suggested a more serious and prolonged issue!
Still, we did just about everything else, and we even convinced my wife Anne, not a fan of water or heights (combine the two and it's a definite no-no) to do Runoff Rapids (a double person tube ride – 4 times!), AND the mat rides Toboggan racers AND Snow Stormers. She professed to enjoy all but Snow Stormers which she found a bit fast for her. The rest of us also did Double Dipper – another quick but fun tube ride, and most of us did Slush Gusher – a slightly less terrifying fast slide ride than Summit Plummet.
Of course there's also the inevitable lazy river tube ride – or Cross Country Creek as it's called here to give you a gentle ride round the park. Bethan our daughter also bumped into Goofy whilst we were walking around – her favourite Disney character and we got a photo with him.

Whilst we were having dinner (burger/wraps/chilli dogs) a couple of lifeguards were running a mini informal music quiz with stick on Disney character tattoo prizes for the kids guessing the tunnel – and again Bethan got in there, so we got “Wales is in the house” from the lifeguards!
Chuck in mini donuts and coffee for that all American experience and it was a great day all round.

Best of the Photos
picasaweb.google/Statto1927/2010Florida#
Old 12 Apr 10, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
RT7
Imagineer

Good day at Blizzard Beach. I love the Disney Water Parks.
Old 12 Apr 10, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Loved reading it, we had a sunny day today, so I couold almost feel i was there with you.

I understand what you mean aboiut the Tikki room, we go in when we need a cool off and pick seats at the very back and usually get a lie down!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 10, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

Some good days there. I love your photos.
Old 12 Apr 10, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

A brilliant day at MK you managed to do soo much well done you guys.

Petrol prices my dad spent 2 weeks comparing them to those at home, this did make me smile to know he is not the only one, is it a man thing

xx
Old 12 Apr 10, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bel
Imagineer

bel's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Fantastic Pictures link - you are very good at capturing at the right moment!
bel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 10, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ilovesnowwhite View Post
A brilliant day at MK you managed to do soo much well done you guys.

Petrol prices my dad spent 2 weeks comparing them to those at home, this did make me smile to know he is not the only one, is it a man thing

xx
First thing I had to do on way home was fill up. £60! :angry::angry::angry:
Old 12 Apr 10, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by bel View Post
Fantastic Pictures link - you are very good at capturing at the right moment!
More like lucky. These are the best - you should see the other 500!
Old 18 Apr 10, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another great report
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List