Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 20 Jul 10, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
noodler
Apprentice Imagineer

Day 5 - Las Vegas 4/6/10

Up at 09:00 this morning and the adrenaline is wearing thin so feeling tired but hey only here for a short time and lots to fit in.

Feeling really hungry this morning but got a lot to do so quick trip down to Starbucks in the Mandalay Bay for a Skinny Latte and a couple of bagels.

This morning I am moving hotels and thanks to a thread on the dibb I managed to bag a room at the MGM grand for $108 a night. I was all packed and checked out at 10:30 and said a final goodbye to the serenity of the four seasons, until next year and jumped in to a taxi.

Arrived at the MGM and let the bell boy take my bags and store them ready to be delivered to my room later. The queues at the check in were massive and when I got to the front I was ready to try for an upgrade. Rather than try the $20 trick I thought I would have a go at my own approach. I said I would like to upgrade to a Bungalow and can you give me a price please. She told me there weren’t any available and in fact there weren’t any upgrades available at all even if though I was prepared to pay. She did sort me out a room fairly near the lifts by the main elevators just passed the lobby.

The MGM is a big culture shock after you have spent a few nights in the four seasons. Loads of hustle and bustle with people queuing for lifts and lots of groups of stag and hen parties and people just generally out to party. Not that I mind any of that I just needed to adapt. The room wasn't quite as nice either:

I called the Bell desk and got my bags brought up and was unpacked and out the door by 12:00 and headed over to New York New York for a slice of pizza and went to the spa to see what offers they had on. They didn’t have any weekend offers on so went back to the MGM spa and they didn’t have any offers either. I couldn’t make up my mind what I wanted so I decided to leave it and head off shopping.

I went down to the Monorail and got a 3 day unlimited travel ticket and headed off to the Sahara.I planned to have a look round and get a taxi to the Premium Outlets. I wasn’t impressed at all with Sahara so straight out the front and taxi to Premium Outlet.

It was so hot when I arrived that I went in to guest services got a map and marked off all the shops I wanted to go in and headed off to see how fast I could get it done. A couple of hours later and a $1,000 or so dollars poorer I was back in a taxi with a ton of bags and arrived back at the MGM about 16:00.

I was starving at this point so dumped the bags in the room and headed downstairs to get a large hot dog to keep me going until dinner. I was heading downtown and had plans to eat at one of my favourite American restaurants, Tony Romas. A quick shower and in a taxi by 17:00 and headed down to Fremont street before the main rush hour traffic begins. There was a bad accident on the freeway so it was at a complete standstill but the driver came off and headed the back way and we got there in no time at all.

Took a wander around, played some cards in Fremont and kept one of their metal one dollar chips but that was about all I kept.

Light show wasn’t until 20:00 so had plenty of time and the other reason for going downtown was to have ribs in Tony Romas.

Onion loaf to start with:

This is what I thought of it

Then had the ribs

Came out of there and had about half an hour so wandered round grabbed a bud light and took this pic of the temperature at 19:30.

Just as I took this picture 2 girls dressed as show girls called me over. I said I wasn't interested but they insisted so I went over. They told me that two pick pockets had walked past and marked me so keep an eye out during the light show and do my pockets up. I was just more aware during the show but I moved everything to my front pockets in case but I never saw the two guys again so i was happy.

The Golden Nugget

Some Random down town shots:

I Watched the light show which was absolutely amazing. It was American Pie and I recommend anyone who goes to Vegas make the trip and see it as it is very worthwhile.

After the show I jumped straight in a taxi and headed back to the MGM.

Got back to the hotel played some dice and had a few beers before heading off to bed absolutely exhausted just after 01:00.
noodler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 10, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
nikkimc
slightly serious Dibber

hooray, I'm glad you have started the trip report again. I was beginning to get itchy as there hasn't been anything new to read in ages. I love the look of the onion loaf!
Disney Med Cruise 2011
nikkimc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 10, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Glad to see your trippie back up and running! Love the pics of Freemont St, can't wait to go

I think i am paranoid about pickpockets living in a big city, i always hold onto my bag when walking down the road and never use back pockets if i have on jeans or shorts.

Nikki - you are off the same day as me, where are you fly from/to?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 10, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
nikkimc
slightly serious Dibber

were flying to san francisco from manchester via philly with us airways
Disney Med Cruise 2011
nikkimc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 10, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Aah,i am flying from Heathrow to LAX with Virgin!
Old 21 Jul 10, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
nikkimc
slightly serious Dibber

we are at the luxor in vegas at the same time though!
we arrive 31st august and leave on 3rd sept, which is when you are there according to the where are you staying thread... not that i am stalking you lol
Disney Med Cruise 2011
Old 22 Jul 10, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

*lol* Yep, i am actually leaving Vegas on 4th but i think i am gonna stay at Ceasers Palace on my last night as i want to go to the Matt Goss show there.
Old 29 Jul 10, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
houseofmouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi read all your report so far this evening. Really enjoying it so far, and not at all jealous that you get to go to Vegas for "work" lol. Hope you post more days soon!
Old 30 Jul 10, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
noodler
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks, don't be jealous though as I tell my wife it is a tough job...

2 more days to go and I will do a quick one page report of my 5 day business trip to Washington.
noodler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 10, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Den
Imagineer

I had almost given up waiting for day 5! I love Downtown and the lights show. I didn't realise there was a Tony Romas there. I would love to go back but as I'm a stay at home Mum it is unlikely I'll be sent there on business! Nevermind it's almost like being there reading your reports.
Disney Den is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List