Go Back   theDIBB > Florida and Disney Holiday Planning > Florida Trip Planning

Florida Trip Planning Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Attraction Tix

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 11, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
dsv77
slightly serious Dibber

Im afraid im in the camp that a child is far to old at seven , my 3 were all out of the buggys by 4 , my son was out at 3 but he was very independant , as a former nursery nurse we were never allowed to use buggies for children over 4 when we took them out for their daily walks.
One thing not mentioned is that a lot of the cheaper buggys are very low down and a heavy child makes them lower , this child is sitting in the buggy getting pushed around at knee level , seeing nothing but adults legs, dont get me wrong this is fine for a 2 or 3 year old as they will have a nap for a lot of the day anyway but a 7 year old should be alert and energetic enough to enjoy the parks.
One person mentioned that its hard enough to get through the parks when people have children young enough for buggys can you imagine what it would be like if mothers put 7 year olds in buggys too, to be frank it would be unbearable.

one thing that I have,nt seen yet is that in some parks you can rent a little car shaped trolly thing , that would be more fun for a 7 year old and you can rent it for just an hour to give him a break

dsv77 is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Fan
Old 6 Apr 11, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
June
Imagineer

June's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
sorry but 7 yr old is far to old for a buggy
Old 6 Apr 11, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
nitnat2004
Imagineer

hi

i just wanted to say that the choice is yours. it doesnt matter what anyone else says. we took one for our son when he was 5 (mclaren) and it was a godsend, as others have said especially for bags etc. he will be 7 when we go in sept but we wont taking one for him. He is very energetic and will cope. we also have a baby now who will be 18 months and we have just bought her a new mclaren. we will be taking that so we wil still have somewhere to put our bags/bottles of water etc. We think we will have to make more stops during the day this time though.

Do what you think it right for your family.

Natalie
nitnat2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Planning for 2014!
Old 6 Apr 11, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
the stevensons
VIP Dibber

We didnt take one with us but i remember hiring one for our boys at epcot-a double one. They were 4 and 7 at the time and we wanted to go around the world showcase and they were tired. It was a godsend. You know your son and if you think he will struggle and wont mind then there is nothing wrong with it. Rather that then have to drag a tired whinging child around with you. We were 2 weeks ago and walmart had buggies for $20.

the stevensons Loves the DIBBcast Disney Podcast
Old 6 Apr 11, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
VIP Dibber

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 8
I agree with Natalie. Some people seem to be able to judge others easily without having all the facts at hand. Do what's right for you and your family.

blusteryday is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DIBBcast Grand Day Out in...

blusteryday is a Disney Podcast DIBBcast-ear
Old 6 Apr 11, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahm
Excited about Disney

We're not taking one with us this year. My eldest son will be just 8 (literally the week before we go), youngest son 6 and my daughter was 3 in Feb. We're planning on buying a cheap one over there for our daughter (although not sure she'll use it as she thinks she can do everything her brothers do anyway...). If it wasn't for her I wouldn't even consider a buggy. Children should be fit & healthy enough to manage imho! Last year if they were flagging a bit we stopped for a drink!

Lake Buenea Vista Resort Village 2010
Emerald Island 2011 & 2012
Windsor Palms 2013
Emerald Island 2014 and planning 2015 too
sarahm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yes, again :)
Old 6 Apr 11, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
VIP Dibber

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My kids havnt used buggys since they were about 4 years old, I wouldnt put a 7 year old in a buggy unless they had health problems and dd is 8 and very grown up for her age and wants to walk to school with her friend but I wont allow it! I think is looks strange having a big child in a buggy but thats just my opinion, if the kids are tired we grab a drink and have a rest!
This was my post and I hope no one thinks I am judging, my dd was 5 last time we went and she had more energy than us we kept saying must sit down ans she kept saying more more more! I suppose it depends on the child.
Comfort suites maingate east 2004, Bahama Bay 2006, Bahama Bay 2008, Menorca apartment 2010, Regal palms august 2012. Been to lots of other countrys before Florida got engaged in Barbados and married in St Lucia and dlp many moons ago!
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cyprus fig tree bay yay!
Old 6 Apr 11, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
VIP Dibber

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 8
That's exactly the point Sandra - it depends on the child

blusteryday is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DIBBcast Grand Day Out in...

blusteryday is a Disney Podcast DIBBcast-ear
Old 6 Apr 11, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
While I also think it depends on the child, Im thinking that only in the form of a child being disabled or having a health problem would I allow a buggy for a seven year old,
Not a healthy able bodied seven year old.
Didnt realise the op meant for shopping etc, and not the parks, and to be honest the parks is the place where I would imagine they would be most tired.

scottishmum is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Listener
Old 6 Apr 11, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Excited about Disney

My dd will be 6 when we will be visiting and I wouldn't hesitate in using a buggy while in Orlando. The days around the theme parks are long ones and the heat is very tiring so I'd rather she was comfortable at time for half hour or so rest rather than her moaning and not enjoying it.

She hasn't used one for years but I know what she is like and I don't think that she will cope with all the standing and walking.Unfortunately we also not having a car this time so it would be too much hassle to stop, go back to the hotel and then go back to the park later on.

As others has said, you know your son better and if you believe he needs one then so be it!
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Here we go again!
Closed Thread