Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Georgemac & Crew Oct 2005 - My Final Thoughts

My Final Thoughts

Travel City Direct – I had no problems with them whatsoever. We were 1 hour late in arriving at Sanford, 30 minutes early landing at Manchester. We flew on the TCD branded 747-300, leg room, service and flights were great. Would not hesitate to use them again. Be prepared for a wait to collect bags – large planes and a lot of bags to come off.

Freetime Check-In – loved it. Cases gone, got a good choice of seats, no waiting in line at Sanford.

Flying from Manchester – for us in future I would not be keen on a drive home from here (410 miles). I would try and fly from Glasgow, or from Aberdeen via London. Our new shift pattern at work may allow me to book early for a change, but not for next year sadly. I would avoid returning to the UK on a Saturday because there is less choice of connecting flights to Aberdeen.

Dollar Car Rental – intermediate car was fine but boot was very small – could only get 2 cases in. Would definitely go for a full size next time. May also be worth taking platinum insurance – I was charged $67 for tank of fuel.

Sanford Airport – Found this fine, would highly recommend the Guest House Lounge and I would definitely use this again, great value at £10 each and my son loved it. From here to the US27 and our villa via I4 , with a quick stop at publix took appx 1 hour 45 minutes, but I came through SR535 and the 192 – would have been quicker going right down I4 and coming back up US27 to the publix at Berry Town Centre.

Villa – privately booked and chosen as we had stayed at it before. Three of us in a 4 bed villa we had plenty room. Pool heating was a major disappointment compared to last time (weather & temps the same), clicking the link will show my thread about it. Also had a few minor faults and took 3 days to get a response from management co. Next time would consider a nice apartment in Bahama Bay or similar, or booking a villa through holiday company. If booking privately would be asking lots of questions about pool heat before paying for this. Driving times 20 minutes to Disney and 30 minutes to Universal using the shortcuts shown below.

To get to the I4, go South on the US27 until you come to Walgreens. Turn left at the lights, and drive along this road past the villas until you turn left into Champions Gate (you will see a large OMNI hotel on your left). Keep in the left lane and turn onto the I4. You can see it on the map below.

For Disney go along the 192 and turn off at Black Lake Road, which runs almost parallel to the 192 (just after Orange lakes) - this is a 2 way road - and turn left onto Sherbeth Road - this will take you up to Disney - turn right at the end of Sherbeth road.

Eating – the highlight for us was Bahama Breeze – fantastic restaurant and we will definitely be returning here. Downside was our son’s love for fast food and dislike of anything healthy. The Chinese at Berry town centre was very good. Park food – not brilliant, enjoyed Mango Joe’s at Sea World best.

Disney – highlights were MNSSHP and wishes/hallowishes. Loved Mission Space at Epcot, Mickey’s Philharmagic and Soarin which were new for us, and all the old favourites. Never visited AK this trip, and also only went to Blizzard Beach once, missed Typhoon Lagoon, surprised me as we love both the water parks. Have 5 days and 4 plus visits left on our passess.

Universal – Loved the rides as usual, unhappy about the express pass system and the fact the wait times were very inaccurate. Would have loved to stay 1 night in resort to get FOL access for 2 days, but DW would not go. Mummy was new for us and we loved it, also enjoyed Shrek and Fear Factor which were also new for us.

Seaworld – I adore this park, was our first time on Kraken and it is brilliant. Also loved Blue Horizons and the Spirit of Shamu Nightime show, and all the old favourites.

Busch Gardens – only our second time here, and again we loved it, and next trip will spend at least 2 days visiting this lovely park. All the coasters were brilliant.

Hard Rock Live – would definitely go here again if there was an act on we liked – I would say to get a good atmosphere it would have to be an act that was popular with the locals.

Shopping – enjoyed shopping at the Premium Outlets on South ID best, followed by DisneyMarketplace, then Florida Mall. Mall at Millenia was nice but very expensive shops, although Tiffany’s is good. Also loved Walmart on the US27.

The Weather – it was absolutely fantastic, the best we have ever had, would love to go back in Oct again. Hardly had any rain, there was 1 foggy morning but it had gone by the time we were about. Also left 2 days before Wilma arrived - we had some jokes about this as my MIL is called Wilma - thought she was coming to get us!

Communications - I bought a T Mobile to go PAYG sim card from Ebay before leaving, mainly to keep in touch by text with our daughter at home, used it in our tri band mobile and found it invaluable, and very handy to have by our side at all times. I am hoping to keep it active for future use by lending it to others, who will top it up as they use it. Anyone can borrow it, details on this thread.

Orlando & The Future?What a shock I got as I drove down the US27 in daylight - where had all the Orange Groves gone? They had been replaced by Villa & Townhouse developments, the same was happening on the West side of the 192, a huge area of land was being readied for development. Another new timeshare or townhouse development, Silver Lakes was going up beside Black Lake Road. Not till I looked at google maps satellite photos did I really see how much development was taking place. In 2001, we seriously considered purchasing a villa - since then capital values have increased, but in The Manors at Westridge North, a lot of the villas had for sale signs. On reflection I am glad I did not purchase. Unless the tourist numbers increase in line with the developments, it could be a struggle to get enough villa rentals to cover the costs, and I am sure there will be plenty good accommodation deals available. I hate being in the Parks when there are so many people it is hard to move around. If the tourist numbers do increase greatly, where will they all go? Interesting times ahead I think.

Next Time – will depend on shift cycles at work, would love to go in Oct again, not looking good for 2006 though. Next time will return to Kennedy Space Centre, spend more time at Busch Gardens, more time at the Disney water parks, and may try Cypress Gardens which is under new ownership. Universal – I would like to give it a miss but depends if we are on our own and if our son agrees. Also would like to try more nice restaurants - again if our son agrees.

Had a fantastic time once again in Orlando – we just love the place.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 10:00 AM. Reason: addition
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 05, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Kimber03
Imagineer

Kimber03's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 26

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 174
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Nice summary George , you never you know way may meet next year (if we go back )
Kimber03 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 05, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
really enjoyed your reports,if your wife doesnt want to move for 1 night, u could still book a room and visit the parks both days u have the room u don't need to use it, although if used it does let u enjoy at night at citywalk with a short walk to bed
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 05, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post

George

Thanks for all the reports, I have really enjoyed reading them... we love Sea World too and are looking forward to seeing the new shows...

Lisa x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 05, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
You all had a great holiday brilliant reports and great photos thanks
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 06, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post

we are going on our first trip first two weeks in november hope our trip is as happy as yours
Old 17 Jun 06, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for your reports, really enjoyed them

Tracy