Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 Sep 11, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

D23 Expo Trip Report - Day 4

So the final day of the expo dawned, and I had adjusted a bit more to the time change so was only just awake as the day actually dawned, but after the normal morning routine of shower, breakfast (today back at Denny's) and a video skype chat with Celia. I headed to the conference centre a lot later than the last two days as I arrived it was 8:30 and I was taken aback but the absence of a line, where was everyone.

I headed straight up the escalators as today the arena shows were not interesting for me (Marvel & Disney Channel) so I was planning on being in and out of Studio 23 watching the smaller presentations, and first up was on the architecture of the latest Disney Cruise liners. I made it in to the holding pen room and waited for about 10 minutes before they started to unload the waiting room and move us to the stage. As we have never been on a cruise, the presentation was fascinating just even to see the boats in some detail.

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - The Fleet by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

And what they could have been.

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - Concept Art by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

The details on the Aquaduck and the story behind it, opened up the fact that every thing in Disney has a back story.

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - The Aquaduck by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - The Aquaduck by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

The ideas on the inside virtual portholes almost make them the preferred place to stay especially if we get to see Pooh bear floating past.

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - Inside Portholes by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

But the highlight was when we moved onto the Fantasy and how they plan to make an entire restaurant of animators. The plan goes like this, as you sit down to dinner you will receive a placemat

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - New Art in Artists Palate by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr
where you can design a character and draw them any way you want

Designing the Dream and Fantasy - New Art in Artists Palate by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Then after this has been drawn all the mats are taken away and fed into a computer system, which will based on where you are sitting ensure that you can see your character being animated along with classic pieces of Disney animations, anyway that is sort of the descriptions but it is probably just easier to see this

And the after the meal you get your placemat returned with a stamp showing that you are an honouree Disney animator. Now this is something I want to do…

After the presentation and with no other presentations to attend in the morning I was deciding what to do, when I bumped into Deb Wills from ---- Can we ask members to please post information here on the DIBB rather than just add a link to another website ------ and we had a little chat about the cruise line and how to combat seasickness as this could be an issue for my wife. I headed off to try and see the Disney Archives exhibit. As I got into the queue (as people seemed to have arrived now) there were announcements that the Marvel presentation still had spaces, but I got into line and was told it would be about 30 mins from where I was, well 1 hour later I finally got into the room. But it was worth the wait, First up was the Mickey mouse toy that rode with Walt on the train during the opening of Disneyland, along with a collection of maps and tickets from opening day.

Walt Disney Archives by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

There was a re-creation of an animators studio, and the original books from the Snow White film, there was also a whole section on Who Framed Roger Rabbit, including maquettes of Roger, Benny the cab and Jessica

Walt Disney Archives - Who Framed Roger Rabbit by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Walt Disney Archives - Who Framed Roger Rabbit by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

I did get to meet the man who started the archives Dave Smith, who was just sitting in the room happily talking to anyone who wanted to meet him.

Walt Disney Archives - Me and Dave Smith by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

There were a lot of costumes in this display including Eddie Valiant and Delores from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the Mad Hatter and Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, and various characters from Pirates, Lost and Tron.

Walt Disney Archives - Alice in Wonderland by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Walt Disney Archives - Pirates of the Caribbean by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Walt Disney Archives - TRON by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Finally leaving the archive, I headed back to the hotel to grab a salad (and a slice of cheesecake that had been in the fridge since Thursday) for lunch hoping to eat whilst I waited in the queue and then headed back to the Stage 28 queuing area to find that I was already too late to get into the queue for the Cars land even with over hour and half before the show was going to start and the queue for the following presentation on Star Tours was already forming. The queuing on this last day was getting even more out of hand. Deciding that I was not going to queue for more than 3 hours for a presentation on star tours I headed to the D23 Charter member lounge to eat lunch and take stock of plans for the rest of the day. I quickly decided that the presentations were out as the queues were already looking way to long to be enjoyable. Discussing this with some of the other members in the lounge we did come up with the idea of showing the current Stage 28 presentation in the queue room for the next one, so that at least you had something interesting to watch whilst you waited.

After lunch I had decided just to wander around the show floor, and found myself heading towards the pin traders, even though I had met some of them before at Westward Ho, there were new faces and I quickly had to pop back to the room to grab my trader bag to get some new pins. But as it came up towards 3 and with the queuing not getting any shorter I headed back into the lounge for a round of trivia competitions and won another pin, and was also awarded a recycling Bin from Paul Anderson of the Walt Disney family museum, who is slightly mad, but they did pose for a photo with the bin, as I tried to take a picture of them asking questions.

Steven Vagnini (from Disney Archives) and Paul Anderson (from Walt Disney Museum) at the D23 Charter member Trivia Quiz Session by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

Finally I had had enough of the Expo and decided to try and get to Target to grab a few items so that the next 2 days could be just about touring the parks, Oh that was a long walk and the sun was HOT, and the way my luck was going the stuff I was after the didn't have and my knee that I had hit before fantasmic the night before was still stiff and looked like it was starting to swell. But the walk to and from the shop did give me time to think and review what I had missed and the only thing that came to mind was to see the Talking Mickey, so when I got back to the Expo an hour or so after I left, that where I headed. He was in the Parks and Resorts pavilion but that did not have much of a queue as I think most people were still revolving around the various presentations and queue in studio 28. But he did have a short queue and went off for a break during my time in it, but this was no worst that the character meet and greet queues you get in the parks. Just behind me in the queue was Deb Koma from allears so I had met both debs on the same day. Having met Mickey on multiple occasions in the park, it is weird when he can talk and the mouth moves, but his vocabulary is a bit limited but we had a chat and a photo

See Video on YouTube

Meeting Talking Mickey by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

And that was that, it seemed the obvious end to the Expo but I did have 1 last walk around the show floor, spotting a Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

And a great Eye test T-Shirt but with no indication as to where you can get this,

Mickey Eye Test T-Shirt by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 11, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

I also had a last pop into the dream store and picked up a Tronorail diecast model, but then headed to the hotel dropped of my stuff and tried to decide where I was going that night. In the end on the walk up to the entrances I tossed a coin which on landing tails meant I was heading to Disney California Adventure for the evening. I headed to the Backlot area and grabbed a fast pass for Tower of Terror and then as my hunger had got the better of me to the Pacific Wharf area for some food, As I entered this area I was stopped by a group of girls as they were fascinated by my T-Shirt which is a Star Wars Coffee (May the Froth be with you) with a storm trouper drinking a cup and wanted to get a photo, this was all a bit surreal especially when the tattooed Californian girl turned out to be from Ilford, Essex but based on her accent that was when she was very young. I went to Cocina cucamonga Mexican Grill where I had half a burrito and felt more and more pain in my leg, I did try to ride California Screamin' but got very confused with the single rider setup, and wanting to see ElecTRONica and especially the Laserman show I headed back around the park to the backlot area.

ElecTRONica is just an open air nightclub, themed to look a bit like the GRID from the movie but the laserman show was brilliant, a mixture of smoke mirrors and great timing

DCA - The Grid by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

DCA - Lazerman by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

DCA - Tron Lightcycle by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

But the leg was hurting more than I would like but I remembered the strapping I had found in the suitcase when I unpacked so decided that I should get that on to try and reduce the swelling. I did bump into Ricky Brigante as I was leaving the Tron area, and without even using my fast pass for Tower of Terror I headed back to the hotel for an early night.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List