Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 Oct 11, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post

3 Pirates and a princess. September surprise 2011 Travel day

Monday 19th September 2011

We woke up at 4am and as I knew noone was ever going to be able to go back to sleep we decided to get the kids dressed and check out the free breakfast on offer at the hotel!
It took us nearly 90 minutes to get the kids dressed and ready to leave they were so silly excited but then we were not rushing them either.
A quick glance at the offered breakfast and we decided as there was nothing Keira could have we would eat at the airport!

Gatwick Meteor meet n greet went smoothly even if he did have a little moan about me being an hour early! Then it was time to check in!
Everything at British Airways is done by machine and we were so lost so a lovely Ba rep came over and pretty much did the check in for us!
He was so lovely and asked the kids if the teddies had passports and official documentaion. Dan never one to shy away pretty much told him he was going to be fine without one as he had been several times before and teddies dont count as people!

Then we checked in our bags which was equally hassle and queue free and we were free to clear security and find breakfast!
Breakfast in the terminal was a nightmare and we struggled to find anywhere that could do something for Keira that would be gluten free we ended up at the Weatherspoons and she had to have Fruit and Yoghurt - an option she could have had at the hotel for free! Never mind live and learn - next trip we wil be bringing some of keiras cereal so we can just access milk and be safe in teh knowledge she has eaten before the flight!
The boys decide to have pancakes with syrup why not start the junk diet before we take off?

The flight left on time and was honestly the best food we have ever had. The cabin crew were amazing and even told the kids to follow them at 1 point and they came back with lots of crisps and chocolates! Keiras gluten free meal was amazing and she een had a fresh bread roll and chocolate cake! She loved it and it serioulsy outshone anything Virgin have ever offered her!
The only gripe was with the family behind us - the grandparents were directly behind us and the rest of the family were about half way down the plane! During the flight they swapped the kids with the grandparents so they were unsupervised behind us and running riot whilst all 4 adults got to have a few drinks in peace! I was very unamused! That said it did prompt the cabin crew to tell my children how well behaved they had been which was nice as they had been superstars and we had been on that plane an awful long time!

About half hour before we were due to land the Captain made an announcement that there was a terrible storm over Orlando airport so we were doing a detour to avoid it! The flight ended up being 10 hrs 25 mins long - I was more than ready to get off the plane!

Immigration was quick and we were through to the bag carousel before any bags! Then we quickly collected our bags and only 35 minutes after landing we were being served at Hertz desk. This is where it all started to go wrong!
We had booked an suv and they didnt have any in location, for reasons I cant understand I turned down the option of a free upgrade to a mini van and stood waiting for 25 minutes to get a SUV bought over from another location!

The walk to the garage was a killer the humidity hit me like a hammer over the head and the sight of an air conditioned car was enough to bring me to tears so imagine the despair when we get to it and the keys have been locked inside it!
Another 30 minute wait then ensued whilst we waited for someone to come with a spare set to open it! During this time I felt so lightheaded and a hertz rep gave us ice cold water to drink and told me to take it easy and go sit in the air con office! I thought it was a lovely gesture until after all the kids were loaded into the car with the luggage he turned round and exclaimed " You do know you are expecting another boy dont you? " To which I replied " Im not pregnant! "
Now heres a note for you all men, if this ever happens to you STOP there and apologise and scuttle away fast do not do what this guy did and reply " REALLY! YOU SURE? "
I could not believe it ! He had seriously put both feet in and was now trying to shove hands in his mouth as well! The kids and Wayne however were very amused by it and told me I should be careful riding the rides in my condition!

So we drive away from the rental garage, Me in total despair that I look so fat I look pregnant and the kids in fits of laughter. I left Wayne to programme the sat nav so we take a nice mystery tour around Orlando to avoid any toll charges! Seriously 10 minutes into the Journey I asked him if he was sure he had programmed it right he assure me after checking we were on the way to the villa! The thing he forget to mention was we were going via Miami (lol)
So we eventually arrive at the villa at 5.30pm.
I tell the kids not to sit down as we are unloading the car and going straight out again! No sleeping on my watch!
We did a quick shop at Formosa Gardens Winn Dixie, just essentials for the next morning and then sat down for much needed food at Outback!

Our server was lovely and he kept coming back to check up that we were still awake all the way through the meal! I think at one point we were all just staring blankly at the food in front of us! Nobody had dessert as the main was enough to get rid of hunger pangs and bed was now screaming our names!
We made it back and into bed at 9.30 pm (2.30 our time! )

Edited at 01:03 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
You did well not to slap him How rude...

Glad you had a great flight though, my DB is a cabin manager for BA and it never ceases to amaze him how many people on the flroida route leave their children unattended during the flight just so that they can have a few minutes sorry hours peace. I personally would hate to be sat away from my children as I am sure many other Dibbers would be.

Cam looks so much like you

Really looking forward to reading more about your trip
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Great travel day apart for the wait for your SUV... loved Outback at Formosa Gardens...
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Looking forward to more.
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

How very rude!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
great trip report pity about the delay
Old 9 Oct 11, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

Fantastic travel day.
Is there something you are not telling us... only joking.
Old 9 Oct 11, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Great travel day, how rude? I have often said back to people that I am just fat... lol because I have a tummy

Looking forward to more xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
what a rude man!
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MFras23
Imagineer

MFras23's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 20
Guidebook Reviews: 15
That guy at the rental place was so so rude! Very well done at staying up so late though!