Imagineer

Nettings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Big Four-O Trip - Adventure into the Unknown! - Day 9

The Cast

Gez - 40th - Always wanted to go to Vegas for his 40th!
Me - Clarks - Wants to stay in LV!
Jack - 13 - Laid back, but pretty excited all the time now!
Ben -11 - Can't wait until he can shoot a gun!

Today was our trip down to Hoover Dam – Gez collected a hire car from Hertz and we drove down fairly early to beat any crowds as Gez wanted to join the in-depth tour. We reached there at about 10am and had an hours wait to join our tour.

Our in-depth tour took us into the Plant Room and the tunnels within the Dam.

It was quite weird to see that a fair bit of the “decoration” of the inside is Art Deco (as it was obviously built in the 30’s) and it was quite beautiful in places.

In the dam you can see vents – and once inside the tunnels we were able to walk along one of the vent shafts and were able to stand just the other side overlooking the outside of the Dam – a real highlight.

Once our tour was over, we were taken up and out of Dam via another Art Deco lift and came out into the sun shine through beautiful, gleaming golden doors. The weather today was beautiful and we leisurely walked across from Nevada to Arizona – the Dam spanning the Stateline and Time Zone!

We came back across to Nevada time and popped into one of the exhibitions. We met a lovely guide (who reminded us all of one of the boys primary school teachers) and she took a shine to Jack and joked with him mercilessly (which he took in good grace) – so like his old teacher.

We returned to our car and drove up out of the Dam Canyon and then made our way to the new by-pass Bridge – The Mike O'Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge – which spans the gorge from Nevada to Arizona by-passing the need to cross the Dam.

The boys were tired so stayed in the car whilst Gez and I walked up and over the Bridge. The view was spectacular! I must admit I got my fear of heights back and so it was with rather white knuckles that I posed for photos. The walk back over the bridge I made sure I was on the inside of the pathway!

We headed back to The Signature and quickly got changed into our swim wear for a brief swim (as the pool was shutting at 4pm). It was a lovely swim though and I found that the Jacuzzi was a bit on the warm side – but I put up with it!

Tonight we walked “up” The Strip to Luxor and Mandalay Bay. After a very long walk, we discovered that the charge for the Shark Reef at MB was extortionate $18 each! – so we didn’t see the Shark Reef after all.

We did however decide to eat at The House of Blues Restaurant. Again, the service was bit on the dodgy side with us sitting like lemons for ages before being spoken to! The girl apologised that she hadn’t realised she was our server and immediately took off the charge of the boys drinks off our bill.

I had a Pulled Pork Sandwich here and I have to say, my pulled-pork at home is on par with the real thing ! So chuffed as it was the first time I’d eaten the “real McCoy! – and in fact Ben tried some of my meal and told me mine tasted better!

We walked back to the Hotel and the crowds were unbelievable!
Nettings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Shmee
Imagineer

Another wow day!
Shmee is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbigbeak
Imagineer

Another fab day x

1st time POFQ Aug/Sep 2012- 2 weeks -2nd time Rosen inn,POFQ 3 weeks-3rd time NYC,Canada,DC,Rosen inn, Coranado springs 5weeks-4th time Vegas,San Fransisco,Hollywood, Anaheim & NYC 3 weeks - 5th time,Rosen inn international,Disney all star music resort 3 weeks
mrsbigbeak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 12, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I want your pulled pork recipe. Fab trippie so far

xx