Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Talking Viva Las San Di Frisco Day 11 Sunday 4th September

Monterey / Pebble Beach

Weather 70 Degrees Misty / Sunny

We wake at 7.20am to a beautiful but misty Monterey morning, I decide to order just one room service breakfast to share this morning because two was way too much food even sharing it with the local seagulls!

We have coffee on our little balcony and typing this back home in the dreary UK I can still recall the wonderful smell of the ocean and the sound of the birds. One of the more daring seagull’s lands on Michael’s chair whilst he stands to pour more coffee and promptly poops all over it, made me laugh

I sat in the chair with my coffee thinking about showering but not really wanting to tear myself away from this most perfect of spots, I’m so happy here.

The seagull comes back, it keeps saying ‘Om’ Michael says it’s trying to say Omelette, which is what Michael had fed it yesterday lol!

It’s a holiday weekend and we had toyed with the idea of the aquarium, it’s next door to the hotel and we are there in time for opening but the queue is already long and winding, and I hate to stand in line. It’s not an unexpected queue so we opt for plan B, which is to hire bikes.

We wait until 11am hoping that the mist will lift, but it doesn’t , undeterred blazing saddles is our choice, we had used this firm in San Francisco and also they were 10 steps outside the hotel entrance. The bikes were $70 for the two of us for 24 hours.

We take a slow ride along the bike trail, slow because there are lots of pedestrians, other bikes and Surrys . Once on the roads, which still had bike lanes we can go a bit faster and it’s really easy not too many hills. Soon we are at the start of 17 mile drive, it’s free entry f you are on a bike. The main advantage of the bike is that you can stop anywhere and take in the wonderful scenery. It’s still very misty but it can’t totally hide the absolute rugged beauty of the rocks and ocean. The houses that edge the golf course are painted in muted colours that blend easily into their surroundings; we saw lots of deer and other wildlife along the way.

Pebble Beach is a pretty little place dominated by the golf club / hotel as you would expect. There are lots of little expensive shops and a deli. We ate at a place called the Gallery overlooking part of the famous golf course. The food was very average fare, sliders and a milkshake, nothing memorable. We had a look around the hotel and out onto the golf course overlooking the ocean. A wedding was about to take place, it certainly lends itself to romance even if you hate golf the scenery is beautiful

Straight after Pebble Beach you hit the mother of all hills! The burger and milkshake didn’t seem such a great idea at that point, but we carried on regardless. We did plan to cycle onto Carmel but the fact it was a holiday weekend stopped us.

On returning to Monterey the day is now clear and sunny, go figure! Seems we were following the mist. We stop at Fishermans wharf for a drink and a spot of people watching. The place is buzzing and there is so much to see

We are both fascinated to watch the local fishermen gutting their catch, the pelicans, seagulls and cormorants go crazy for the parts they discard.

We see you can go whale watching from here, not to be unkind, but we inadvertently were doing our own bit of whale watching; there were some super heavy weight people about, more than I’ve ever seen before.

By the time we drop the bikes off we have done a respectable 22 miles, I’m looking forward to a nice soak in the over sized tub and then a lovely meal at the hotels ‘C’ restaurant. Michael then informs me we have a table booked at 6pm and I have exactly 38 minutes to get ready! I couldn’t get out of the house that quick even if there was a fire alarm so goodness knows how I can shower, plaster my face on, dry my hair, straighten said hair and choose what to wear.

Somehow I do, we get a pretty rubbishy table, but I don’t care it’s a lovely place and I’m with my man. Michael orders cocktails and then a bottle of champagne. The food and service are average; we pay the bill and take the champers to our room.

It’s our last night here and sipping fizz outside wrapped in blankets chatting and listening to music is a great way to end a mesmerising visit to a beautiful place
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 12, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Really lovely day for you both - some great photos.
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 12, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Sounds like you have had a wonderful time at Monterey. The hotel was just perfect with your balcony. I loved looking at your photos too.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 12, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Sounds like a really great day, love the idea of hiring bikes to see the sights too.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 14, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great photos, we are really looking forward to 17 mile drive.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 14, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
I'm sure you will love it Abi
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List