Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 26 Apr 12, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Celebrations, Cocktails & the Cosmopolitan - Day 2

I have never done a TR before so you will have to be kind to me! I didn't do a pre-trip report either, but will try to give as much info as I can when I do this one.

Me – a special trip to celebrate my 40th birthday which was Easter Saturday
DH – 43, second trip for both of us, the first time we went to Vegas was for his 40th birthday

Day 2

The bed in the Cosmopolitan is the comfiest in the world, ever. Fact! Oh it was just perfect. I expected to wake really early but didn't wake until just after 6, which I was pleased with. I read my book until 7, then excitedly woke dh (who could sleep for England). We pottered round and got dressed then went for a walk to the Bellagio and into the conservatory. It was quiet and peaceful. Our last trip was a February, so the theme had been Chinese New Year. It seemed to be Springtime now, with lots of tulips, daffodils and bees.

We then got the tram from the back of Bellagio to the Aria and walked back through Crystals again, but we soon came to realise that the mall was actually closed – the only people around were cleaners and maintenance men. A security guy came up to us to ask how we'd got in! He then told us which door to use to get out, oops! Took a few pics of the hotel and we headed to the Wicked Spoon, a buffet restaurant in the Cosmopolitan. We got this free as part of our package, so thought we would try it once and if it was no good, not bother again. Oh my! The buffet was amazing – should have cost us $22 each and included in the price was either a glass of champagne, mimosa or bloody mary along with unlimited coffees, juices etc. The selection was immense. A whole sushi station, japanese/chinese, charcuterie, traditional hot breakfast items, pizzas, pastas, pancakes, fried chicken, french toast, fruits, salads, breads, bagels rolls, yoghurts, cheeses, cereals, fish – the list is endless, I probably have forgotten loads and also a full ice cream selection and patisserie/pudding station. I didn't know where to start! What I liked about some of the dishes was that they were served in their own individual pans so it just seemed a bit nicer in a way than digging in to a large portion.

We had a decent breakfast, left a tip for our server and popped back to the room. The temperature was going up and up, so decided to be brave and put my shorts on. We left the hotel and crossed over the bridge to the other side of the road as we wanted to visit Tix4Tonight at the Hawaiian Marketplace. There was a huge queue so we carried on to the next one along – even bigger, they were saying it was an hour wait. We stopped to see what tickets were available as there was a big screen here. We had decided we liked the idea of either Jabbawockeez or Jersey Boys, but neither were showing on the screen anyway so decided not to wait in line after all. We did the M&M store, Coke World, Ross Dress For Less, then explored the MGM Grand, a hotel we managed to miss last time around, but we missed the lions as they left earlier on in the year. We crossed back over and went to the Monte Carlo where Jabbawockeez was showing and found the box office. Another huge queue – can you tell I am not a queue fan?! We made the decision at this point to just go to the Concierge at our own hotel to try and get them to get us some tickets, which was where we headed. They were super helpful. Turns out Jabbawockeez isn't back on until the Thursday so Jersey Boys it was (we wanted tickets for that night). We paid full price for the tickets, which was annoying, but was hoping it would be worth it! She also booked us a table at Mix at TheHotel, Mandalay Bay for dinner before the show.

We then grabbed a cab from the hotel to take us to Premium Outlets North. We had the best cab driver, Don, he was hilarious. He was retired from New York, but told us jokes (asked my permission to tell blonde jokes, ) and kept us really entertained. When we got to Premium Outlets he got out and gave us both a hug, a really sweet man. The cab cost $25 including a big tip!

So we shopped, shopped and shopped a bit more. Had bags from Nike, Van Heusen (dh likes his work shirts from there), Banana Republic, Timberland, Converse, Crabtree & Evelyn (pressies for my Mum & Auntie), among others. I also had been given some $ to spend for my birthday so treat myself to a new purse from Coach.

By this time it was about 2ish and we weren't at all hungry, but thought we should probably have a drink! We were going to stop at the food court, but we were nearer to the taxi area so just hopped in a cab and thought we could get a drink back at the hotel. We had bought some soft drinks at Walgreens the night before, so I was just going to have a Sprite, but dh offered me a Mango Vodka in my sprite and I couldn't resist! So, the first one went down quite quickly sat on the balcony, but we were in the shade so decided to head to the pool as it was hot and sunny, but windy.

The pool area was busy, and we could only find one lounger so we took it anyway. There was a ledge where you could sit in the sun but be in the pool so I took up residence there, but had to keep moving as the shade took over bits of it. It seemed quite chilly in the shade, but was wonderful in the sun. Dh isn't a sun worshipper (unlike me) so he read his book on the lounger (in the shade) while I grabbed every ray I could! (I knew the weather forecast was to change for later in the week, this might me my only opportunity!) When it was all in shade we decided to go and get showered and ready to go out for the evening. (Can't take credit for the pool pics, took them from the net as didn't take camer with me!)

When we were dressed, dh said he wanted us to go back to Tiffany's. He asked did I really like the bracelet or just saying that as it was one of the cheapest, but perhaps we could look at bangles instead, as the one he had bought me previously was a bangle. The same salesgirl was there and really helpful again. I know what dh was saying about the bracelet – I am clumsy, it was delicate and he was worried it might snap if I caught it on something, so we looked at bangles. I saw a double one I liked and eventually decided this was the one. How spoilt am I?

So wearing my new purchase we get a cab to TheHotel. We were there a bit early as we wanted drinks in the lounge first. We find a check in area for it and get pointed in the direction of a lift. We get in and to my horror, it is on the outside of the building – eek! It was fine though after all and we spend a while trying to decide what cocktails to have. A Kir Royale and a Blood Orange Margherita later we are admiring the magnificent views. We are looking down on the point of the Luxor and can see our hotel in the distance.

We walk across to the restaurant part and get seated. We are by the window and can see the airport and the whole strip.

We decide to have the Alain Ducasse Grand Tasting menu along with the wine pairing.

menumodo/app.php/viewer/embed/762

The atmosphere, service, food – everything was just perfect and more. We had such a lovely evening. I have more foodie pics so will put them on the West Coast food thread.

Sat next to us were 2 American girls who we got chatting to, as I was admiring their food before we made our decision. We spent ages gossiping and it turns out they were also staying in the Cosmo too. They left and another couple sat down. Next door but one to us was another couple. Turns out all the girls from each couple were celebrating birthdays, so we ended up all chatting together, showing pictures of our children to each other etc. They were both local couples. The girl in the middle, next to me, was very glam, skinny as a rake but ate like a horse (how does that work? !) and a server from another table came over to her and said there were a couple of girls (looked about 8 and 10 dining with their parents) who thought she was famous, he said he would ask! She was laughing and saying no, but he said how about we tell them you are a stylist for the Kardashians, so she agreed and they kept looking over, very sweet. She leaned over and whispered to me that she taught first grade so spends her days knee deep in finger paints! When they got up to leave the girls asked if they could have their picture taken with her so she agreed. I hope they don't find out, they will be gutted!

Our bill was $441. They automatically included the 18% gratuity, but I did have a $50 restaurant.com voucher which softened the blow ever so slightly! I think that is the most expensive dinner we have ever had, but so worth it. We left Mix and cabbed it to Paris for our show. I had no idea half of those songs were Frankie Valli songs, I thought a lot of them were Barry Manilow – he must have covered them! Anyway, we really enjoyed it, but by the end, I was shattered. It was around midnight by this point, so we crossed back over the road and went straight into that wonderful, comfy bed.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 12, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Another lovely day ...your husband sounds abit like mine :-)

We used the tix4tonite booth at Town Square , because its off the strip its much quieter infact we were the only ones there.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 12, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh! really enjoyed reading your report!

The Cosmo beds are fab aren't they!

What a fun packed wonderful day cocktails, a little blue bag, fabulous food and a great show

How will you top today!

Can't wait for the next one

Love Aly x
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 12, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Another lovely day ...your husband sounds abit like mine :-)

We used the tix4tonite booth at Town Square , because its off the strip its much quieter infact we were the only ones there.
I remember you saying that you used the Town Square one, but didn't think of that at the time of course!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 12, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alyson View Post
Oh! really enjoyed reading your report!

The Cosmo beds are fab aren't they!

What a fun packed wonderful day cocktails, a little blue bag, fabulous food and a great show

How will you top today!

Can't wait for the next one

Love Aly x
Yes, the beds are just divine. We did have a lovely day, it was very special.

Best I get working on day 3 then!
Old 27 Apr 12, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Fantastic day 2!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 12, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
I remember you saying that you used the Town Square one, but didn't think of that at the time of course!
Its the first year we have used it, and definatly will again, i'd rather nip there in the car than queue up for an hr or so x
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 12, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Wow that was some restaurant bill, but sounds like it was a stunning meal
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 12, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Lovely photos and another good day.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 12, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU68
Very Serious Dibber

We loved Wicked Spoon and had both the brunch and the dinner. The fresh cooked Mac Cheese and sweet potato fries were to die for ...yum!
LOU68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List