Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
A Foodeating, Sightseeing, Subway Hopping Trip -NY&DC-Day 2

A Foodeating, Sightseeing, Subway Hopping Trip -NY&DC-Day 2

Probably because we’d gone to bed so late last night we weren’t particularly early risers this morning. I had wanted to get to the empire state building for 8ish but as we headed down to breakfast at 7.30 I didn’t think this likely. Breakfast was served at a French bistro next door to the hotel and our free vouchers entitled us to any of their breakfast “Combo’s” We both opted for the traditional breakfast which was three eggs, hash browns, salad, bacon, coffee, orange juice and a fruit cup.

I managed to finish all of mine, it was yummy! And a great start to the day

Once finished we headed out, using my trusty app we located the empire state building. Now this app does everything apart from tell you which direction is north so we got as far as 48th street before I realised our marker was heading in the wrong direction! After the slight detour we arrived at 9.30

I was worried it might be a little busy by this time but the reception area was pretty clear.

I had bought a non timed voucher from attractiontix so I had a short wait to exchange this but with the discount code and cashback it was worth doing.

The elevator up to the top made my ears pop and that was only to the 80th floor, a second elevator took us higher still!

Today was forecast rain but on reaching the top we were lucky as it was warm and sunny with great visibility.

Here’s some shots..

including our first view of lady liberty

Despite still feeling like death, and not looking far from it either Adam convinced me some ‘close ups’ were in order

His “Catalogue Man” pose made it’s first appearance of the holiday too ;P

With one final look down on the city we headed back down to solid ground

I’m glad we went when we did, the queues and reception area on the way down I noticed were now heaving.

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
From here we walked to Herald Square, bought a 7 day metrocard each (well worth the money at $29 each!) and took the orange line train to 81st street so we could visit the natural history museum, and here I made my first rookie mistake, I got on the orange ‘D’ train, which is and ‘express’ service, it bypassed 81st street at which point I panicked and we got as far as 125th street before we could get off and get on another train back down to 81st street.. LESSON LEARNED!

Again on exiting the station I guessed wrongly in the north/south decision and got to 82rd street before turning round. The museum is in fact RIGHT NEXT to the station… oops!

We got a few photos of the outside and our first glimpse of central park, which looked very inviting!

We went inside and noticed it was very busy, I tried to pay at the machines but they are not pay what you wish unfortunately, so instead we stood in line and admired the dino in the entrance hall.

At the desk I explained I wanted to pay $20 for the two of us. That’s 50% of the ‘suggested’ price but I thought it was fair considering we’d be here for such a short time.

I won’t list exactly what we did but here are some piccie highlights

Once we’d finished Adam realised we’d not seen ‘Dum Dum’ so we had to head back in, he’s hidden right at the back so it took some walking to get there and back, my feet were agony already!. Adam said it was worth it though.

Guess which one is ‘DumDum’ I can’t tell ;P

They had some great exhibits in here and I’m glad we did it, however it was now 1ish and we were getting peckish. The plan was to picnic in the park so we took the subway to Columbus Circle and walked to epicerie boulud, an ‘epicerie’ is a French grocery store and that’s pretty much a good description other than that they also serve, sandwiches, salads, coffee and has an oyster bar inside.

I’d seen a right up of the places on serious eats, a NY food blog I found and heard they did great sandwiches and the guy who owns it has some great restaurants in the area we weren’t able to visit.

I picked up a Jambon Buerre. Which was housemade parisian ham, salted butter, gruyere cheese and dijon mustard, on a demi baguette .

While Adam opted for the Spicy Merguez which was lamb sausage, harrisa, preserved tomato, cucumber, tazaki on baguette

I had wanted to head to Bouchon Bakery at Columbus circle to get some dessert but we were just too hungry and instead headed straight into the park.

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 07:16 PM.
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
We had a lovely view from where we sat and watched the birds and squirrels.

It was also HOT so Adam headed off to buy a drink from a nearby stand. Taking yet another covert piccie in the process, he should have been a paparazzi!

After the seriously amazing Sandwiches (they should be, they were $9 each) we walked up to Tavern on the green to pickup our bikes for the afternoon, yep no rest for us!

Just as we selected our bikes it started to rain (it lasted for a few minutes) but frankly as it was so warm this was a welcome relief and we were soon on our way.

We saw lots on the bikes and stopped to take photos every few minutes. There are however some serious hills further up so watch out!

Here’s a few shots from the trip.

We did the entire loop of the bike trail in approx 2 hours and I would recommend it to anyone. I wouldn’t however recommend doing only this to see central park. You can only take your bike around the outskirts of the park so you miss most of the architecture, bridges and trails. You’d need to return on foot to see those.

We handed the bikes back and decided to head back to the hotel to clean up and rest before heading out so back we went via subway.

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 May 12, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
This place was on the street adjacent to ours so we had plenty on time to meet our 6.30 reservation.

I’d glad we did have a reservation, it was HEAVING! We were seated at the back out of the way of the crowds though which was nice. The menu isn’t huge but the portions are, as it’s “Family Style” dining.

We agreed to share a starter and a main together with some nice wine to wash it down with.

To start we had the fried cheese in tomato sauce

followed by the world’s largest spaghetti and meatballs! I only managed one!

Completely full we declined dessert.

Food and drink this evening came to $53.78 + tip

As we’d been to the football last night, tonight was MY night so we were off to see Wicked!

We headed off, again in the completely wrong direction, but eventually made it with 15minutes to spare PHEW!

I’d bought tickets before we came, since I’d heard they are never at the discount booths and only the premium tickets are occasionally discounted online. Being the bargain hunter that I am I’d purchased ‘Partial viewing’ seats. I’d done this before for shows in London and never had a bad seat, but I was still nervous.

Once seated I was pleasantly surprised with the view

It did appear to be quite a full showing

To give you an idea of the lunacy of ‘partial viewing’ tickets, here’s my view at $55 a seat

and here’s the regular priced ticket ($155) next to me

yep I can’t see any difference either, but I guess they have to start somewhere ;P

The showing was amazing and I loved it. I don’t think Adam minded it and quite liked the ‘green goblin one’ I think he’s getting confused with spiderman there but ho hum!

Even though the view was partial we only missed a few backing dancers but no real action.

I also got my copy of playbill which was rather nifty

No really, look how pleased I was

Not surprisingly considering the amount of stuff we’d done today we headed back to the hotel for an early night, getting another glimpse of Times Square on the way!

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 May 12, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Fab day 2! Feels like only yesterday I was riding through Central Park bike ride. The Bethesda Fountain looks as good as ever!

Great seats for the show.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great day!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
NatOwls
Imagineer

Another fab day! Sooo looking forward to experiencing NYC for the first time!
Where did u eat your meal before the show? The food looks lovely 👍
NatOwls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by NatOwls View Post
Another fab day! Sooo looking forward to experiencing NYC for the first time!
Where did u eat your meal before the show? The food looks lovely 👍
we ate at Tony di napoli, it's attached to the casablanca hotel on 43rd street

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 May 12, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
great day and some amazin pics.wud love to go bak to NYC
Old 20 May 12, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Great day and fab pics.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List