Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Nov 12, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

Three Go To Orlando. Day 9 Cassadaga 9th October 2012

In 2008, I had major orthopeadic surgery which left me off work and pretty much housebound for almost a year – I spent lots of this time very productively watching all and every kind of TV! I saw an episode of an obscure US show one day and there was a 2 or 3 minute section on Cassadaga Spiritualist Encampment which really, really fascinated me and ever since then, I'd always dreamed of going there to see it for myself although, as Mike really didn't want to drive, I never really thought I would...

Then came the DIBB and with it Florida Magical Tours! I only made a general enquiry but the quote came back quite quickly and it was most definitely within budget, so I decided to book it...and after all of the waiting, finally, today was the day!

We had a leisurely morning as we were due to be picked up at 12.00pm, we were told it would take 60 – 90 mins, Despicable Me (which none of us had seen) was loaded into the DVD player & we were off. I'd done some research on line & found that during the later months of the year, the walking tours are only offered twice a week, so I was really hoping that we would be able to secure a place as there was no facility to book in advance, all I knew was we had to find the book store and it would cost us $15 each. The driver had never been here before, but he managed to get us straight to the book store without any problems and we arranged to meet him back there at 4 – 4.30pm.

The book store was lovely and the people in there were so friendly, we got our tickets for the 2.00pm tour

and crossed over to the Cassadaga Hotel for lunch.

It had an old fashioned feel about it and besides a party of three elderly ladies, we were the only ones there, again, the people were very nice and the food was delicious (we had 2 Shrimp Chowder starters, Spaghetti & Meatballs which came with a huge house salad, Italian Steak Sandwich, Chicken Parmagiano Panini which both came with fries or salad, a draft beer & 3 cokes – a bargain at $40) we couldn't finish the whole meal, so they boxed & refrigerated it for us until we were ready to leave at 4.00pm.

The tour was a mixture of the history of the camp, the properties & who built them, stories of spirits within the camp, daily life there and how mediums and healers are allowed to practice there, our guide was very knowledgeable and so interesting – the tour lasted nearly two hours and I was enthralled throughout – there were only around six other people so it was perfect. We took lots of pictures,

it was such a peaceful place and felt very serene – back in the shop there was a list of mediums & healers who were available today, but to be honest, although I find the whole subject completely fascinating, I don't have any real desire for a reading myself.

This was advertising all of the different courses and lessons that were available for anyone to take part in.

We were glad we had said 4.00pm to leave, as besides the shop & hotel, there is nothing else to see or look round after the tour is over – I thought it was a fantastic afternoon which surpassed all of my expectations, I'm so glad that I got to visit and would really recommend it as a welcome break from all of the hustle & bustle of Orlando.

When we got back to I Drive, we decided that we had better time ourselves walking down to the Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando as we were due to go on a day trip from there in the morning & the I Ride Trolley would not be running early enough, so best foot forward & it took around 20 minutes. We carried on further down past the Rosen and Cody decided she was about to faint from hunger (she is not dramatic in any way ), so went in Friendlys as this was the nearest place and she could not walk a single step further.

We weren't very impressed with the food or the service and we all agreed at the end of the holiday that it was the worst meal of the trip. We had an Eat & Play Card so spent $39 on a Bourbon Chicken, BLT, Fish Sandwich, Strawberry Cheesecake Waffle Ice Cream, 2 scoops of Strawberry ice cream, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, a strawberry Fribble shake, a sprite & a coke.

We caught the Trolley back to the hotel & after getting everything ready for in the morning I was ready for bed.

I had really, really enjoyed today...

Edited at 12:39 PM.
nickymouse66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 12, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBlonde
Imagineer

DisneyBlonde's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 102
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Now that's a different day! Glad you enjoyed it but shame about the food in Friendleys.
2005-Holiday Inn I-Drive * 2007-QII/Boardwalk * 2009-Married December at the Boardwalk/POR/Rolling Hills Villa (TR here) * 2010-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 May-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 October-Rolling Hills /Boardwalk (TR here) * 2012-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2013-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2014-Rolling Hills * 2015-Rolling Hills * 2016-Rolling Hills and Boardwalk * 2017-Boardwalk and Rolling Hills

DisneyBlonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 12, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

I'd recommend it for a lovely half day, really calm & peaceful
Old 18 Nov 12, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Wow that was a different day -glad you enjoyed it.
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 12, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

It was fascinating
Old 18 Nov 12, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What an interesting day, this is why I love trip reports because you hear and read about different things, thanks for sharing

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 12, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tura2
Very Serious Dibber

nice to see a different type of day on a florida holiday
tura2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 12, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
What an interesting day, this is why I love trip reports because you hear and read about different things, thanks for sharing
Glad you enjoyed reading about it - it was really lovely

Originally Posted by tura2 View Post
nice to see a different type of day on a florida holiday
It was a nice change
Old 18 Nov 12, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
OllieT
Imagineer

OllieT's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Wow, it's not often you come across something 'new' to read about here great trippie btw
Old 18 Nov 12, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OllieT View Post
Wow, it's not often you come across something 'new' to read about here great trippie btw
Glad you enjoyed it - I know I said it before, but it really was a lovely, different day