Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 23 Nov 12, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

My 1st Solo Trip - Halloween with Mickey. Travel Day!

Sat 20th October 2012
I was up at 4.10am. I was quite surprised I’d had a half decent night’s sleep, my alam went off at 4 and I had cuddles with Tink for 10 mins before dragging myself out of bed. (I’m sorry I have to admit I didn’t jump up yelling “I’m going to Florida today”) I think the realisation that I was going alone kicked in and I couldn’t decide whether I was happy or sad about it.
The drive down to Gatwick was dark and uneventful and we made it in plenty of time. Thanks dad!
I’d already checked in online the night before so took my case to Virgins bag dropped and went straight through security. I was slightly confused when I then entered duty free... to be honest, I personally don’t think this is the best set up, its very hard to browse when you have a constant stream of people passing through to the terminal. Anyway... it was just gone 8am and I was hungry so McDonalds for breakfast it was. Again I felt a bit odd doing this alone as its kind of the family tradition when going on holiday.
Once I’d finished my sausage and egg McMuffin with hash brown I went to the duty free store. Like I mentioned above, it took me an age to get to the perfume stand I wanted as I going against the incoming traffic. Eventually I made it and was delighted to see the Vera Wang perfume I wanted was much cheaper than what I’d see back in my hometown.
So I got my perfume, purchased the obligatory magazines (which I never read) sweets for the plane and a bounty bar... that’s a long story but basically I’d been craving a bounty bar the whole way through my holiday diet!
Before long it was time to board. Yay! I’d bagged myself a nice seat up in the bubble at the back. Here was my first of very few lows of the holiday...when I got up the stairs someone was sitting in my seat! I very politely said “excuse me, that’s my seat by the window”, and without going into too much detail let’s just say this person was very rude and did not want to move! Umm we pre book and get given tickets with a seat number on for a reason lady! :angry:
Eventually she did move...of course making a song and dance about it, and about an hour into the flight she’d gotten over it and we did have the odd conversation. Although the poor woman has no idea about Disney! When I asked if she was staying at Disney she responded with “Yes we’re staying in a hotel just opposite Sea World” ? Ok then!
The flight was ok...didn’t feel toooo long. I watched Brave, American Pie Reunion, Street Dance 2 and Rock of Ages. I didn’t like any of the food but that’s quite normal for me...I am fussy!
We landed on time, I was first of the plane which was awesome and I only waited about 20 mins to pass through immigration. When I made it to the luggage carousel my case was ready and waiting and I whizzed to the monorail.
The next part of my airport experience would have been much easier with someone else. I had to go over to one side of the airport to collect my Virgin $300 gift card, then trek all the way over to the other side of the airport to get the Magical Express. Being on my own meant I had to lug my big case, cabin case and hand luggage bag everywhere with me!
When I made it to the Magical Express desk there was a small queue but it moved quickly, and I walked straight onto a bus. Feeling the heat for the first time brought a huge smile to my face, although I was feeling quite down as my phone wouldn’t work and I was worried about being able to contact home. I’d promised my parents at least a text when I landed but my phone just wouldn’t connect to any network , I emailed but my parents are not the most techno savvy people so in the end I had to whatsapp my cousin who then called my parents for me.
The bus journey was quite quick and I do love the video. Coronado Springs was the first drop off too. Woop! I got checked in very quickly and made my way to my room, it was now around 6pm. I have to say Coronado Springs is a beautiful resort and I would without a doubt stay there again. When I arrived at my room I was disappointed I had not gotten any of my special requests. I know they’re not guaranteed but I literally got the opposite of everything I asked for so this was another low for me. I really didnt enjoy walking across the parking lot at the back of the hotel late every night to get to my room. The room itself though was lovely, I had 2 queen beds to myself and it was lovely and clean etc etc. I unpacked bits and pieces and have to admit I was feeling really low. I think the mix of being sooo tired, not being able to contact home and spending near to an hour in my room in silence got to me. (I don’t know why I didn’t put any music or TV on.) But not to panic...that feeling didn’t last long.
I headed for Downtown Disney, my watch had broken on the plane so I wanted to buy a new one, and also get my Halloween lanyard and ticket holder etc. Another thing I noticed...so much of the Halloween merchandise I’d seen online was already sold out! I had a good wonder around the world of Disney, TrenD, The Art of Disney store and also collected my Halloween Party ticket from Customer Relations before heading back to CSR at 9pm ish. I grabbed a small pizza from Cafe Rix and took back to my room. By 10.30pm I could barely keep my eyes open so called it a night...I must have fallen asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow!
Tomorrow – The fun begins! Magic Kingdom & Hollywood Studios.

Edited at 05:01 PM.
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 12, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
welsh wizard
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Silly woman not wanting to move but well done on not being bullied! Lovely smooth first day but shame you didn't get your requests. Looking forward to day 2!
Old 23 Nov 12, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tink3
VIP Dibber

Some people are so rude, I can't believe she thought she could just sit in your seat.

Loved reading your travel day and glad to hear that the low feeling didn't last very long.

Even miracles take a little time - The Fairy Godmother

Aug 16-Oak Island Cove/Polynesian/HRH
Oct/Nov 15-Windwood Bay/AKL
May 14-Calabay Park @TL/AKL
Feb/Mar 13-Clear Creek
Aug 11-Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Mar/Apr 11-Calabay Park
Apr 08-Lake Davenport Estates
tink3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 12, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBelle
Imagineer

DisneyBelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I've been looking forward to this report!

Cant believe the woman on the plane not moving to start with, what a weirdo! its not as if its a cinema seat etc like you say, youre assigned seats for a reason!

The journey really does take it out of you but glad to read the 'low' feeling didnt last!

Cant wait to read the rest and find out how your hols turned out solo
DisneyBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 12, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_Diva
Imagineer

Has that woman never travelled on a plane before! arh some people make me angry!
Anyways, glad you got there safely, i can imagine its very different going on your own. Cant wait to read more xx
WDW 2020 POR
Disney_Diva is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 12, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Great travel day

We're staying at CSR next year, really looking forward to it
Old 23 Nov 12, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Great start Stace!

I'm sorry to hear that so many of your 'lows' occurred on your Travel Day which, as you say, is made worse by how exhausted you feel, I felt really sad picturing you on your own in your hotel room in silence! I'm sure a good night sleep made all the difference come the morning.

Anyhoo, glad you picked yourself up and made your way over to DTD for a little retail therapy, always works wonders doesn't it?!

Oh, and as a side note, you're the only person I know who likes Bountys! Does this also mean you like the coconut ones in the Quality Street? They're always left over at the bottom of the tin in our house, along with the strawberry and orange cremes!

Looking forward to reading more!

Kate xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 12, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Lovely start, sorry about the lows. I had a similar feeling when I arrived a few years back (I flew out a day before the rest of my family), and the tiredness combined with missing my pets (first time I had EVER left them), and the fact that I got repeatedly lost in the Ghetto didn't help!

Hope tomorrow goes much better for you.

Looking forward to the rest

xx
Old 24 Nov 12, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Great travel day! My phone didn't work the first time I went either. Apparently it was due to some block on the network that I should have gotten removed by calling the phone company before I went abroad. So annoying not to have a phone to contact home with!

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 12, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by isabel View Post
Great start Stace!

I'm sorry to hear that so many of your 'lows' occurred on your Travel Day which, as you say, is made worse by how exhausted you feel, I felt really sad picturing you on your own in your hotel room in silence! I'm sure a good night sleep made all the difference come the morning.

Anyhoo, glad you picked yourself up and made your way over to DTD for a little retail therapy, always works wonders doesn't it?!

Oh, and as a side note, you're the only person I know who likes Bountys! Does this also mean you like the coconut ones in the Quality Street? They're always left over at the bottom of the tin in our house, along with the strawberry and orange cremes!

Looking forward to reading more!

Kate xx
Hahaha! No I'm not a fan of the coconut ones in Quality Street...the coconut is not the same haha. Mmmm I could eat a Bounty now. My fave choccie bar! Eww yuk...I dont like any of the creams. More of a Heroes or celebrations girl. ;-) xx
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List