Old 13 Jan 13, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Just Me and My Girl - Oct 2012 - Day 8

Day 8 – The one with the shopping

Another early start today for us and our one and only Disney free day too. I have actually been really excited about this day for months because after many months of strict dieting and a substantial weight loss I had reawakened my inner shopping demon! We got up at 6.30 showered and dressed and went to get some breakfast at the food court.

A quick bathroom break and we went to bell services who called a cab for us and just 2 minutes later the yellow cab arrived and we were soon heading over to down-town Disney. I had used my tesco vouchers to get avios points and then used the avios points with attraction world to get a shopping trip for 2 effectively for free so all good so far. The trip was with Dolphin Tours and has various pick up points one of which is DTD right outside the Cirque Du Soleil the downside to this is you have to be there for 7.45 which is early and before the Disney buses start running there. The drive only took 5 minutes and the fare was $7.20 so with a tip I gave him $10.

We were early, getting there at 7.35 but already there were a number of people waiting. It was at this point that I realised I had worn the wrong thing. The weather had started to turn, we were beginning to get the start of hurricane Sandy, so the wind had begun to pick up and it wasn't a good idea to be wearing a very light floaty knee length skirt that when the wind blew lifted up and gave a flash of my knickers so I spent most of the day holding it down when I went outside! Connie thought it was hilarious! The bus soon arrived and we were first on board followed by 2 other family's everyone else who had been waiting were waiting for a trip to Kennedy Space Centre, might try that next time. We were late setting off because another family hadn't turned up so we had to wait about 10 minutes to see if they would arrive, they didn't. We had just one more pick up point which was at All Star Music and then we were headed out of Disney Property and into the real world!

Our first stop was Walmart and we had an hour and half there which was plenty of time. We picked up lots of things to try like almond m&ms, Ghiradelli dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt, a massive bag of mixed chocolate to take back for my god daughters, double stuffed Oreo cookies for friends to name a few. We got Connie some new princess underwear and a little outfit. Over all I wasn't that blown away by Walmart but still managed to get 4 bags full of shopping!

Included in the trip was “breakfast” at the cricketers arms. I was very glad we hadn't relied on this for breakfast as we would have been starving by now as it was 10.30 by the time we got there. We were given a choice of bacon, sausage or cheese toasties with either coffee, tea or juice to drink. It was ok nothing special but as they brought each type of sandwich out at a time it meant that I got mine first and then poor Connie had to wait an age for hers to arrive in fact I had eaten nearly all of mine before hers arrived,

but don't worry I did give her a bit of mine to keep her going. Getting back on the bus resulted in another embarrassing skirt moment!

Next stop was Premium Outlets now I think we went to the north end one as it took about half an hour to get there and seemed to take ages but as I had lost all sense of direction we could have been anywhere! On the way we passed Universal and although I have never been I saw it with a real sense of familiarity having read so much about it on the Dibb. We will go but I think that as there is just the 2 of us and Connie is too little for the good rides I might as well save my money because we get enough out of Disney right now. We also passed by the first hotel I ever stayed in 23 years ago and wet and wild.

The hotel behind the sign is the first place I stayed in orlando.

We got to Premium Outlets at about 11.45 and had until 2.30 for shopping, great I thought plenty of time! How wrong was I?

Firstly let me say the place is huge we barely scratched the surface of it. First stop was the Ugg shop but unfortunately they didnt have any of the boots I was after in the right colour on hindsight they did have them in grey and I wished I had bought them! Next Skechers they had a great deal on of buy one pair get the second pair half price so I got a pair of grey bikers and a pair of boots, I had another pair that I really liked in my hand but I put them back again hindsight is a wonderful thing why did I do that how stupid the 2 pairs cost less than 1 pair costs back home, dumb dumb dumb!
We went into the Disney outlet store and there wasn't anything in there that we really wanted but I did buy something very useful which was a giant bag big enough to put all purchase already bought and plenty of room for more $2 well spent. We did get Connie a couple of the surprise pins that they have really cheap and she was excited to get one that had snow white on, but remember we are not collecting them, OK?! Connie needed a shopping break so she had a few minutes playing on the little cars they have and also had an ice cream.

We then went into Carters and bought Connie some more clothes she has outgrown all her winter clothes and we managed to find her a knitted poncho, she has been after one for ages with a hood. A couple of doors down was the children's place and they had a great selection of nice tops and cardigans and even better really lovely girly hair bands, we spent quite a lot of time in here getting Connie kitted out then I realised the time, only 20 minutes until we had to be back at the bus so a really fast walk back in the direction of where the pick up would be with just enough time to dive into Yankee Candle and bag another real bargain, 3 of the small jars for just 12 dollars, I didn't dare buy more because of the weight.

Back on the bus it was a a quick journey over to the Florida Mall. We arrived at 3 and had until 6pm for more shopping. We had specific shops to visit here mainly for Connie who was desperate to go to the Build a Bear shop. We headed there first and selected quite a few outfits and shoes Connie spent a good chunk of her spending money here and that was fine especially as everything was less in dollars than it is in pounds back home. All set to have one very well dressed bear back at home and without falling into the lets get another bear trap we went to the Disney Store next.

It has to be said that this store is the best Disney store I have ever been to if you have a princess mad girl. I was disappointed last year with the shops in Disney as they just didn't have the selection I was expecting for little girls, but this one was princess heaven even down to the little castle they can go into that has a magic mirror, we both loved it.

We managed to find what Connie had been desperate to get, the plush Rapunzel wedding doll and also a Flynn Rider doll and a Pascal cuddly. Also got a gorgeous Brave nightgown and some new princess plates. They had some amazing dresses in there but we resisted!

By now we were both beginning to flag and were in need of something to eat so we went to the food court area and ended up sharing a big plate of sweet and sour chicken with noodles, very yum and cheap too.

Once refreshed I was then on a mission to source Ugg boots eventually found what I was looking for at the Walking Company they had a good selection and luckily the boots I was after in the right size and colour. Now back home I have checked out the price and they worked out with the exchange rate to be £30 cheaper in Florida a bit of a saving there then, still expensive but I love them! We then started wandering aimlessly and got accosted by those annoying hair and cosmetic people, they got us by asking Connie if she wanted curly hair like mummy so we ended up getting the hard sell for a product that would have cost almost $200 just because Connie liked the single curl they put in her hair! I wasn't buying so we managed to escape only to be caught again 15 minutes later by the skin cream people. I said I had sensitive skin which normally gets rid of them but no, guess what? the stuff is suitable for sensitive skin so before I know it I am sat on a stool getting my arm slathered with exfoliating stuff and soap all the while being told how good it is for the skin and how suitable it is for sensitive skin and how expensive it is blah blah blah as she began to wipe the stuff off my arm began to itch and by the time she had wiped it off I had a lovely red patch appearing that was really itchy. “Oh” she says “that's never happened before” “shall I get some water to wash your arm?” I said I thought that would be good idea, the sales woman was really embarrassed and I have to say I did quite enjoy saying it would appear it isn't that suitable for people with sensitive skin is it? After that they couldn't get rid of me fast enough, lol. Once the stuff was properly washed off the itching went with in a few minutes but I very glad I didn't put it on my face as first suggested!

We had a good wander but by now we were both a bit shopped out and so all my grand plans to buy a coat and some new jeans and any other clothes that took my fancy just didn't happen.

Connie doing her best Ariel Impression again!

Our final shop was the M&M store. We were very restrained and just put a few of some of the different flavours in a bag, it came to less than $4, but we get the obligatory pictures!

Very tired now we sat outside and munched away, on the m&ms, raspberry were my favourite and Connies the almond ones. The bus arrived 15 minutes early and as everyone was on board with in a couple of minutes we were soon heading back home to Disney, the traffic was bad I guess it was rush hour so it took a good hour to get back.

Luckily the first drop off point was Downtown Disney so we disembarked leaving the driver a tip, he helped us off with the bags so I think he was pleased with what he got.

Too much shopping to get the bus we were lucky to get the first cab back to POFQ. Unfortunately the driver miss heard which hotel and thought I said riverside so missed our turning, he soon turned round and back at the hotel he tried to knock some money off price but being happy he had been honest I gave him the full amount with a tip anyway. We dropped the bags off in the room and went to the food court for some dinner. Tonight we picked up the 16” takeaway pizza which came with 2 desserts and 2 drinks for 2 counter service credits a really good use of credits it could easily have fed a family of four, it was massive. Funny thing though this was Connies first ever takeaway pizza, living in the sticks it is too far to get any type of delivery food and so when we walked out she said “But Mummy where is our food?” when I told her it was in the box she was shocked and asked how we were going to cook it! The look of surprise when we got back to the room and opened the box for her to see the hot pizza was priceless!

After eating we laid out all our purchases on the bed and gloated over them in a Scrooge like manner!

Over all impression of the shopping trip was that it was very good value for money and we would highly recommend it especially if you are like me, too cowardly to drive abroad! We were both in bed by 9.30 with achy feet!

The Full Index Is Here
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

This sounds like such a fantastic day. I'm very jealous! We haven't scheduled any shopping days because (like you) I'm too chicken to drive in the States. Plus my boyfriend has no patience for it.

What an impressive haul you ended up with. Connie's bear is very lucky!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

WOW! Didn't you do well I've never heard of that shopping trip before, really good idea as I don't drive over there either. Only problem is I'm not sure either of us could hack a full day shopping...I hate shopping at the best of times

Did you find any nice clothes over there for your new figure?

Love Connie's face on the pizza picture...she looks well chuffed.

JA x

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
amy1511
Imagineer

amy1511's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 5
wow great day shopping, really enjoying your trippie
amy1511 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
This sounds like such a fantastic day. I'm very jealous! We haven't scheduled any shopping days because (like you) I'm too chicken to drive in the States. Plus my boyfriend has no patience for it.

What an impressive haul you ended up with. Connie's bear is very lucky!
I had read so many trippies with people going shopping that I just had to try it and I wasnt disappointed I would recommend it, I think there is enough that even boyfriend without patience would enjoy the day there was plenty of places to take a break for coffe and eats!

Originally Posted by disneydaft70 View Post
WOW! Didn't you do well I've never heard of that shopping trip before, really good idea as I don't drive over there either. Only problem is I'm not sure either of us could hack a full day shopping...I hate shopping at the best of times

Did you find any nice clothes over there for your new figure?

Love Connie's face on the pizza picture...she looks well chuffed.

JA x
Didnt get any clothes in the end as that was our only shopping trip, but I got the boots I was desperate for and they go really well with my skinny jeans I purchased when I got home!
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

Looks like another fab day was had by you and Connie
Old 13 Jan 13, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
littlejem1
Dibbing with Tink

Wow what a great way to do the shopping, best bit of all you didn't have to carry everything just those you brought at each stop. My DD would have got fed up with a whole day think I would have loved it.

January 2006 & 2009 Paradise Cove
September 2014 - Bella Vida
January 2016 - Compass Bay 2nd Honeymoon
February 2019 - Eagle point South.
Disney, Finally here we come and the Grandkid's still don't know Sshhhh- September 2014
Time to say Good-bye... January 2016
littlejem1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Connies Mummy View Post
Didnt get any clothes in the end as that was our only shopping trip, but I got the boots I was desperate for and they go really well with my skinny jeans I purchased when I got home!
Get you in your skinny jeans Well done again though, you've done amazing. I'm back on mine again now...lost 3st, put 2 back on Bloody menopause!

JA x

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 13, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
izziewoo
Having Dinner with Goofy

Wow you really know how to shop, what a haul!
Old 13 Jan 13, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
What a great shopping trip.

I love shopping in the US and keep telling myself that the holiday this year is all about the girls and that I will only do 2 days shopping - really hope I can stick to that!

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List