Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 Mar 13, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel princess
Very Serious Dibber

Caroline & Christian hit Florida November 2012 Travel day 2

Monday 12th November
Travel Day Two

We woke up around 5am, went back to sleep and were woken up by our alarm at 6:20am, sleepy but happy! We were going to Florida today! We got up, got ready and left the hotel room approx 6:55am, dropped our card key in the express check out, did a little filming and we were on our way to the south terminal. We went straight through security, neither of our boarding cards scanned but the guy managed to get them to work after a few minutes. No problems at the scanner although the guy in front of me did try to walk through with a can of red bull... maybe he hadn’t woken up yet We wandered around duty free and picked up 'holiday scents', thanks C for buying

We mooched the other shops then headed to the No 1 lounge, first impression was ‘where the heck are we going’ and secondly it was busy. When we came out we saw the right entrance to go in, we had just followed the signs and it took us down some old dark corridors!

We went upstairs in the lounge and there was only one other couple up there so if downstairs is busy head upstairs where there are bigger table and sofas, we got some lovely seats then headed downstairs to the breakfast bar and helped ourselves to granola and yogurt, fruit, C had a croissant and we both had a tea. We also ordered our bacon rolls at the bar and got a celebratory drink, we hoped they had Koko kanu, no such luck so we said we would try a Malibu on the rocks... well we remembered why we haven’t had it since we were 15 but had it anyway...well we are on holiday! I had another tea but as it was so early couldn’t stomach much else (but could drink Malibu!) we relaxed and used the free wifi and read the papers. Overall I would definitely recommend the no 1 lounge, bit cramped where the breakfast bar is but a great place to relax and start your holiday. We paid £14 each via holiday extras in a package with rail tickets and the Hilton. I am so frustrated I forgot to film in the lounge but here are some more snaps. Also if anyone uses the taste card I believe they now do offers although you can’t book ahead with it.

Considering we would have paid more or less the same in Frankie and Bennies it was a no brainer, when we came out Gatwick was heaving and we were grateful we had used the lounge. As we came out our gate started showing so off we went. It was more or less the first gate we came to so happy days, we were sat for maybe 15 minutes before we boarded, all very civilised.

I know we went out of school holidays but there must have been no more than 10 children on the flight and the ones that were were very good. There was one very loud family, you know the ones, and everyone was obviously thinking the same...please god don’t let us be sat near them and luckily we weren’t!

We were flying on mademoiselle rouge much to our delight, we had been tracking where ol Virginia Plain was and as we were taxiing we saw her, lucky escape! We left about 20 mins late due to paperwork, we were soon off and up in the air.

I am always a little twitchy till the seatbelt sign goes off, after that I was fine apart from when we had lunch it was quite bumpy and for about 5 mins and I felt a little wobbly! C and I tried to watch moonrise kingdom but couldn’t get into it then I listened to music till lunch was brought and we both enjoyed the vodka cocktail, C’s was almost pure vodka so we topped it up with lemonade we both had sausage and mash which was absolutely fine – C really liked it, enjoyed the little pudding and we both enjoyed a glass of white wine and a soft drink each.

C watched a couple of films, I just wasn’t in the sitting still mood...not great when you are on a 9 hour flight so listened to music, watched the Simpsons, half of Ab Fab, we played who wants to be a millionaire, ate the choc ice creams they brought around that were disgusting (who wants low fat ice cream?), read a magazine and generally passed time feeling pretty happy and excited to see mum and dad at the other end

So I have travelled several times to Florida and each time i have completed the landing form, well this time they didn’t give us the form so other that thinking that’s weird I didn’t give it any thought, that is until we dived off the plane with me hissing at C to move as quick as he could so we could get through immigration! Well we were pretty close to the front of the plane and so pretty quickly off. The next I thought of that form was when we walked through to immigration and the woman was waving it, we had to stop and fill in the form, in hindsight we should have got in the q and done it but everyone was rushing forward and we thought the line was moving pretty quick...it wasn’t and we were suddenly the last 2 people in the line. Frustratingly there were no pens, we asked the woman who handed out the forms, her response, we don’t have any u will have to find one, she said this whilst chewing her gum...welcome to the usa!  I assume they walked down the plane waving the forms the same as they do when you’re coming into the Uk but we certainly never saw them but apart from another couple everyone had them.

Anyhow to be honest this only put us 20 mins behind as we watched the people who were on our row but we did feel a bit stupid and not what you want after a long flight. All in all it took us nearly 2 hrs to get through, a plane came in behind us and I felt sorry for the people at the back. At the beginning there was only a handful of security working but by the end there were more luckily. Our immigration officer was friendly enough and we were through, bags were waiting for us so we grabbed them and straight through to hertz, no queue here and got the car quickly, no hard sell which I think was because C is Spanish they were chatting away like old friends. Funnily enough the guy who checks your forms as you leave looked incredibly miserable until he saw Cs driving license and was asking ‘Espanol’ and then they proceeded to chat for 5 minutes about Gran Canaria! C had never driven an automatic before but it was no problem and of course he was driving on his normal side so not too much of a problem although it was dark which we hadn’t wanted and I am not a good passenger! I had my foot on the imaginary brake a lot

We had borrowed my parents sat nav which was invaluable, I honestly don’t know how anyone can get around without it! The address was programmed into the sat nav and we were on our way, we didn’t get lost luckily, I have heard some tales on here! We were in the house within 45 mins, tired but relived and lovely to see mum and dad

C got the guided tour of the house and I felt like I had never been away After a quick catch up we decided to head to Olive Garden for a quick meal. We had 2 rounds of their lovely breadsticks with marinara and alfredo dips and the salad. We skipped starters you really don’t need them here due to the bread and salad, plus we knew we wouldn’t be able to hold up long. I had chicken parmigana, C had chicken alfredo pizza with pepperoni, mum had spaghetti and meat sauce and dad had ravioli. Very good meal, we all enjoyed and none of us could finish our meals. C and I both had cokes and mum and dad had coffee. We had a really good server and I can’t quite remember the cost, need to ask my lovely dad!

Straight back home and C and I said our goodnights and then we headed to bed. When we got into bed we were a little delirious and giggly...over tired! However within 5 mins we were out cold and it was 8.30pm!

Spends for the day

For the first week my lovely parents paid for a lot of the meals thank you but for ease I have divided the bills in half to show what the cost would have been for 2 and I will do this throughout the trippie so people can gauge costs for 2 people:

Olive Garden = £ TBC by the lovely daddy brea!
Total spends today: £ TBC

P.S Mum and dad are currently in Florida so will update money spent when they’re home

2005, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 (including Disney Cruise), 2017, 2018

Edited at 07:33 PM.
Ariel princess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 13, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good travel day apart from form filling

Old 28 Mar 13, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

good travel day
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 13, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Nice relaxing start to your travel day.

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 13, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Great travel day
Old 28 Mar 13, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Great travel day xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 13, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Easy travel day! I'm the same with the imaginary brake when I'm a passenger in a car, that's why I do the holiday driving, my nerves wouldn't stand up to the hubby doing it!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 13, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel princess
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Easy travel day! I'm the same with the imaginary brake when I'm a passenger in a car, that's why I do the holiday driving, my nerves wouldn't stand up to the hubby doing it!
Hehe my foot was going up and down and I was bracing a few times My sister in law does all the driving too, she would rather fele in control although i'm a wuss!

2005, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 (including Disney Cruise), 2017, 2018
Ariel princess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 13, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Great travel except for the form filling, the villa looks lovely and hope you manage a good nights sleep
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 13, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
nice relaxed travel day, apart from form filling and imaginary brakes.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List