tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Tracey & Neil's EPIC California Adventure - Day 1 - Santa Monica to Pismo Beach

Pre Trip Report

Day -2: Universal Studios, Hollywood

Day -1: California Adventure Park

Day 0: LAX & Santa Monica

Day 1: Santa Monica to Pismo Beach

I didn't sleep a wink on our first night. We got back to the hotel room about 9pm because Neil crashed after our stroll on the pier. At first I thought it might be because I was too cold because the air con in that room was better than the one I'd had in Hollywood so I turned it off but that didn't work. Then I thought it might be because I was in bed with Neil and I'd had a king size to myself for 3 weeks so I needed to get used to sleeping with him again. So I moved into the other bed and that didn't work :angry: Then I wondered if I was just so euphoric and nervous and excited that I was finding it difficult to sleep and decided that that must be it. I read for a bit, watched TV (there was no way Neil was going to wake up) but nothing worked. I settled for resting my eyes and then had a shower about 9am which freshened me up and I just thought that we'd have an early night when we got to Pismo. This so doesn't happen...

We went for a quick swim in the pool and got talking to this really lovely Canadian chap who was chatting to us

Then, we went for breakfast. Now this was where I was putting my foot down and where my research worked wonders According to the powers that be, there was only one place to go for breakfast in Santa Monica: Jinky's!

Neil had some sort of breakfast quesadilla thing that he still raves about now and I had the Jinky's breakfast sandwich with herby potatoes.

It was a great place with fantastic service and a real atmosphere and enthusiasm for breakfast, if that makes sense

We loved Jinky's so much we went back on our last day for brunch.

After that, we decided to go for a stroll on the INCREDIBLE beach. Neither of us have ever seen a beach so spotless. It was just amazing. After the stress of the past three weeks, I couldn't believe how perfect everything was. My delirium inspired me into this pose, which I kinda like:

Took a few shots on the beach:

And Neil, clearly not fulfilled by the massive Jinky's breakfast, had an ice cream. Only on holiday darling

Then, unfortunately, it was time to check out of our amazing room at the Doubletree and to head for Pismo Beach! Feeling 100% more awake than I had when I'd woken up, I offered to take the first shift of driving. Neil was still a little groggy from his flight and was probably still on UK time really and plus, I was a little embarrassed that I hadn't slept.

So we were ready to hit the road!

We were completely bowled over by the views on the 1.

Now, I know I'm terrible, but I haven't taken ANY pictures from Pismo Beach. There are a few reasons for this:

1) There was nothing to see. My Dad totally mislead me in this adventure. He made out like Pismo was the most amazingly cute seaside town with lots of bars and restaurants. Well, it's not. There is like NOTHING there. We struggled to find a bar

2) I honestly think I was still getting used to the normality of Neil being there that I just wasn't on the ball with photos and the like.

3) We got absolutely, sensationally drunk. We walked from our hotel (Hilton Garden Inn, - very nice) into Pismo Beach, found a restaurant and stayed in there for about 4 hours. They had a terrace to sit outside and obviously, Americans don't get the whole, *sit down and have a drink* thing. It's just not in their culture. But we had a drink... and then another. Then we ordered an appetiser. And then another. And then an entree and then finished off the night at the actual bar opposite, before getting a taxi (They looked at us like we were nuts when we said we wanted a taxi) back to our hotel.

Flopped into bed into an alcohol induced stupor, we were soon asleep.

Day 2 - Pismo Beach to San Francisco is here

Edited at 10:02 AM.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 13, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Wow , Santa Monica looks amazing
Gotta agree, we were so disappointed with Pismo - mind you it was cold and foggy when we were there - it was like a town stuck in the 1950s - but like you we did have a good hotel

Looking forward to the rest !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

That Santa Monica beach is gorgeous! I've made a note to not include Pismo Beach in any future visit

Oh - and Jinky's? What a fantastic name! Food looks scrummy, too.
Old 17 Apr 13, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A lovely day for you both, that beach looks amazing

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 13, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Fab read!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List