Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Apr 13, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post

No Weddings, No Engagements, just a Holiday - Day 5

Good morning,

Firstly sorry there was no update yesterday, I was busy re-visiting my bread making skills which I have not used for probably 20 years. I must say it's a very relaxing past time and I recommend it to you all.

Here is my end product, a nice cob. Paul Hollywood eat your heart out, no soggy bottoms here.

I must also say I'm feeling a little groggy today, no it was not self inflicted, so if I ramble it's likely the fever talking.

Back to what you are here for, Florida fun

This morning Caley woke up at 05:00, it's worse than having a kid (although I suspect the parents out there will not agree with this). I am eventually convinced to get up and collect breakfast, why I have to do this when Caley is already awake I do not know. We stick with our staple diet of pastries and juice.

We head over to Epcot for opening

Now I love Epcot but it is Caley's least favourite park and I spend most of my time trying to convince her to like it. Today I decided to give up on that and just do what I wanted to. So this was a very good day for me.

We started by heading to the character meeting area and enjoyed seeing the famous five

A big shiny prize to the person who can tell me what tv show my t-shirt is from and an even bigger prize if you can say what the emblem represents (when I say prize I mean my respect as a fellow geek, there is no actual monetary or physical prize)

Once we had finished our meet and greet session we headed to the Land, now as I said this day was all about me and none more so than this. Caley really does not like The Land ride, whereas it's one of my favourites, I love going through all the greenhouses, the warmth, the smell, seeing all the vegetables I just love it. I have for a number of years wanted to go on the 'Behind the Seeds' tour, this does not interest Caley at all but as I said it's my day so tough.

We headed downstairs to book our tour, we booked for a 10:30 tour. At this point I realised that I had not topped up my wallet today and literally had just enough to pay for the tour (it was so close I had to check if the tax was included in the price, luckily it was else there would have been no tour). The lack of cash was clearly Caley's fault for waking me up so early.

Once booked in we had a bit of time to kill so went and watched the Circle of Life show. We had not seen this before and really enjoyed it, it's amazing that after all this time there are still things we have not done. We wandered around for a bit whilst we waited for the tour to start.

10:30 soon came around and we were off, finally I was getting to do the tour I have wanted for years. I loved all of the tour, we had a great guide who worked in the labs and went through all sorts of interesting information from how plants grow, the experiments they do and some behind the scenes Disney facts.

The first thing we saw were some bugs, some of these were bad bugs that eat plants and some were good bugs that 'deal' with the bad bugs. I dont know why the giant bug in the blue top was not in a cage but I suspect he was one of the plant eating bad bugs.

I promise there are bugs in here, see all those reddish dots on the leaves, thats them.

We were then all given a pot from the fridge with what looked like a lot of dead lady bugs. We were told to hold them in our hand and in a few minutes there was a miracle, 'THEY'RE ALIVE". Look at Caley's amazed face. Being in the fridge puts them into hibernation and the heat from your hands wakes them up again.

We kept hold of our bottles for later, remember that lady bugs are natural pesticides. The tour continued, here is one of the labs, in this one they grow the baby plants for the Mickey Gardens, which as it happens are available in the gift shop on the way out

Some chemicals... they help grow stuff (clearly I learned a lot)

Then we entered the greenhouses, I am not sure what order these should be in but it does not really matter.

Brussel sprouts getting ready for Christmas

Here is a mini hydroponics tank, we were given instructions on how to make our own. At the time I was very keen and intended to make one at home, once home I was less keen as I am lazy.

There are 2 other points to mention in this photo, on the right hand side you will see part of a fridge, from said fridge came cucumber slices for us to eat, yum (well as yum as cucumber can be, let's remember this is Disney cucumber so tastes better than the one you get in Tesco). Point 2 on the left hand side is the 'lady beetle vial bucket), whilst here we released our lady bugs into the wilds of the Epcot greenhouse, where they would seek and destroy parasites. Also at the back of the photo is a boat full of common people who know doubt are wondering who those important people being who have been allowed 'back stage'. I know thats 3 points not 2.

Cont...

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 13, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Cont..

The tour continued

Our lovely tour guide, unfortunatley I cannot remember her name (if you really want to know her name it will be on her badge and you can use some kind of photo software to pick it out). I think she was at college and this was an internship.

Next to her feet is a nine pound lemon

Look a Mickey pumpkin

Im pretty sure this is sugar cane

I have no idea what this is, maybe some kind of grass

Then we were into the fish zone, look for hidden Mickey's

This one was not so hidden

We also got to feed the fish in the tank but I don't seem to have a photo of that, it was good seeing literally thousands of fish in a feeding frenzy. I think I may have video of this somewhere. If I find it I will post it at some stage.

Then into the last greenhouse

Mmm arty photo

Our tour guide again who probably won't thank me for posting this photo of her

And then our tour was over, this was brilliant fun and I think that despite her best efforts even Caley enjoyed it and learned something. I cannot remember exactly how much it was but it was less than $50 for the 2 of us and I highly recommend it, even if only for that feeling of being backstage.

After the tour we decided to head back to the hotel 1. as we had no cash on us and 2. the early morning caught up a bit and a nap was in order.

Cont...

Edited at 03:18 PM.
Old 14 Apr 13, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Cont...

After a nap and armed with cash (the most important part of any Disney trip, you may have noticed one or two shops around the parks). We returned to Epcot (remember this day is all about me) for the International Food and Wine Festival and our ADR at Teppan Edo.

We were back through the doors at 14:00, first up was Spaceship Earth and then straight to World Showcase for some food. We found this cranberry bath on the way, I guess its good for the skin or something

Not many photos from this point, I guess I was distracted by food. We tried the Cheddar soup (mmmmmm), Chocolate Creme Brulee and... I seem to not have written the rest down. I can tell you I enjoyed it all though.

We watched the drummers, which I always enjoy (Caley says drumming is just noise, she is wrong)

Had a photo in France

I should have mentioned that it was baking hot today and we were struggling a bit. I think we spent most of our time just trying to get to the next shop for the blessed relief of air conditioning. This meant that we saw flashes of the different countries and probaby explains why there are not many photos.

We got back to Mexico and then it was time to go all the way back to Japan for our ADR. We decided to get the boat, there was some confusion here as I thought it would get us closer to Japan and therefore said not to get off when it stopped expecting it to continue on. It did not continue on and went back to the start, so our boat journey lasted longer than we expected, but it was a nice break from all the walking.

Eventually we made it back to Japan and headed to Teppan Edo

This was a new restuarant for us (as most were this holiday, we deliberately wanted to do meals we had not done before), what a result this choice was. We were taken to our table but before we got there the server lined us up at a wall (not as it turned out for a firing squad) bowed and gave us a speech in Japanese, now my Japanese being a bit rusty I was pleased when she then translated it into English

I had steak and I think Caley had a chicken and steak option. There were mushrooms which pleased Caley as she loves them and I hate them, other than that the meal was outstanding. I can imagine if you have a big group of you it would be even better as you would not have to share the table with strangers, which is fine but it would be more fun if you all knew each other.

Look a volcano

A brilliant meal, delicious and of course you have the entertainment factor.

The meal was over too quickly and we left very happy. At this point full stomachs and the heat took their toll and we headed home, via every shop in the park. Once home we had a swim in the pool and then pretty much got an early night.

Before I end I will just say to Oh_Darling, I noted your comment on one of my earlier days and can only say if you asked anyone who knows me in real life I suspect they would not agree I am hilarious and would probably laugh at such a thought. P.s. I hope the new job is going well.

See you all later for day 6

Edited at 03:20 PM.
Old 14 Apr 13, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Hmm seems my attempt to put a video in has failed, if anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

Ta
Old 14 Apr 13, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post

can't see the photos either
Old 14 Apr 13, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry, I organised my photos and this has upset all my trippies, that's my afternoon accounted for
Old 14 Apr 13, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Pictures repaired, now to do all the others
Old 14 Apr 13, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Loving the report Adrian, lovely turn of phrase and thank you for my LOL at you in the Enchanted Belle show, sorry mate!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 13, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
Loving the report Adrian, lovely turn of phrase and thank you for my LOL at you in the Enchanted Belle show, sorry mate!
No worries, you were not the only one LOL'in at me and I am sure you wont be the last to do so
Old 14 Apr 13, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
the tour looks really interesting
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List