Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Apr 13, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Legs, Nerds & Wings - Day 6 Animal Kingdom

Trip Report Index

Just to start, I'm Lisa - the planner and reporter. Ade is my hubby and he's our driver and there's Hollie who is 13 and partial to the odd teenage moment and Louis is 10 and our fussy eater. This is our third Orlando trip.

17th October 2012
Day 6 - Animal Kingdom

It was our first day at Disney today. Yay!

We decided to get a 14 day pass eventhough we were out here for almost 3 weeks. We wanted to have our last day at Disney so it meant that today was the first day we could go in to the park.

We woke around 7am, checked the forecast as it was overcast today and it was supposed to rain from 11am with thundershowers in the afternoon. So we got up and sorted and got there just after opening at 9am.

We go the kind of back way via Sherberth Road off the 192 as a short cut and it only takes us about 15mins. It's quite quick.

We have this thing about parking in Unicorn 27.
It goes back to our first day of our last trip in Feb 2010.
The trolly driver went on and on and on and on about parking in Unicorn 27. It's stayed with us ever since

So we were so excited when we headed in this direction.

And we parked here.

So close!
I have to add though despite the weather being slightly overcast today it was still late 70's. The last time it was freezing. I mean freezing. To the point where we wore all our layers, I bought the kids scarves at AK and would have bought gloves if I could have found them and we shivered and froze all day.
We didn't care that it was overcast today

We had to collect our tickets as we bought them online from disney.com. No queues and was quick and easy.
Louis was 10 so had to have an adults pass for the first time. He's a little 10 though and almost every time we entered a park got quizzed about his ticket and why it wasn't a childs ticket.
Couldn't save a few dollars and just bought a kiddie pass

We love this park, it's a favourite of ours. We headed straight for Everest to grab fast passes and got chatting to Kate from London on the way. Kate was a photo pass lady and so helpful. If only we had met Kate on our first or second holiday here.
Everyone needs a Kate on their Disney trip.
She explained the whole photo pass thing so well and we decided to go for it. We never knew about it at all on the first trip and last time we collected our cards but didn't realise that you had to buy them within 30 days and we left it too late
So this time we were on the ball.

Our first photo pass photo. Taken by Kate from London.

We grabbed fast passes. Everest was technical at that moment anyway. We now wanted to go back to our wandering mode. We headed in to Dinoland. Dinosaur is my favourite ride in the whole wide world. It was a walk on and we LOVED it once again.
Hollie and I still get scared each time

(we are the front row) Looking at Ade and Louis, I think they do too.

We wanted to grab our photopass whilst we were quite close to the entrance so we went and sorted that out.
We went for the Photopass Plus (top package) which apparently had only been out a few weeks.We paid $212.95which included the additional $30 extra to cover all ride photos too. I've just seen though that you can buy them online 14 days before leaving and you get it even cheaper.

We headed back to Dinoland and continued where we left off.

So pleased that Hollie was happy to have her photo taken today.
(she's the one on the right)

We wandered around the shops.
Look how cute this ceiling is.

I want a ceiling like that.
I spotted a few things that I was thinking about getting to put up for Christmas. Made a mental note about them and coming back.

Primeval Whirl next.
We've never been on this before.

Hollie got given this by a CM to check the queue times and was rather happy about it.

We only queued for about 5-10 mins.
Hollie decided this was her ride face.
The ride did actually take us by surprise.
It was so much faster than we expected and you really get thrown around. We loved it so much more than we expected.

Then Louis and I did this.

The thumbs up thing with Louis is getting on our nerves abit now. But you know what they say.
If you can't beat them, join them.

cont...

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!

Edited at 05:43 PM.
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 13, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

cont...

We met Winnie and his friends.

The funniest bit of the day.
We all had a hug with Winnie and after Ade said he was the only one that didn't get a hug. To which Hollie very quickly replied ''He probably though you were coming to take over his shift''.

This is one of my favourites.

We headed on to Everest for our fast passes but is was still technical so we went back for another go on Dinosaur which was still a walk on.

Louis got excited when he saw the Turkey leg hut.
He's been going on and on about Turkey Legs since before we arrived in the US.
Bad luck today Louis.

There was some work being done around here and this was put up on a bit that was boarded up.
I find Walts quotes so inspiring.

The Everest ride was now open. So we had fun on that.
We'd forgotten how fast it goes at the end.

We had a situation on our hands next. It was a hot day. We had Louis wanting to go on the Kali River Rapids and we had Hollie that didn't. Both Ade and I did.

Last time Ade and Louis sat on the other side to us and although we all got really wet, they got drenched. I remember turning around to face them at one point when what looked like a wall of water came up and over them.
Hollie wanted the dry side.
There was no such place today

We wandered for a bit to dry off. I love this whola Asia section. It's so beautiful.

We grabbed a fast pass for the safari ride. It was currently a 30min wait which wasn't bad. The fast pass was for 40mins time.
We went on the little Jungle Trek train and looked at the animals.
We do like the slow pace of this park.

We watched some African singing and dancing. Such a great atmosphere. Louis met Victor, the only other Chelsea fan in the park
Despite being a fellow Chelsea fan, Victor still couldn't convince Louis to dance with him though. 10/10 for trying.

We had lunch at the Yak and Yeti for the first time. We took the take out option and sat outside. It was soooo busy, but people are constantly moving so finding seats wasn't a problem.

Love these take out boxes.

We found the food here really good value and really tasty. It made such a nice change to something other than fries.

We went for sweet and sour chicken with rice and the honey chicken and rice. We just had the 2 between the 4 of us and tucked in. It was so filling. $9.99 each.
We'd definitely do that again here.

We did the safari next. We always enjoy this ride. The rhinos were out with their babies. Cute.

I was still struggling with my leg. It was still aching and the bite was a mass of blisters, Lots of teeny ones around the bigger one here and I felt so puffy still.

The creams seemed to help with the itching though, I just kept reapplying it.

Camp Mickey next for some piccies.

It was empty around here.
I'm so pleased that Louis still wanted to collect autographs this year.

It was now time to start thinking about grabbing a spot for the parade. We were so lucky that it hadn't rained after all. We were starting to feel tired though. We grabbed fast passes for Everest again and then found some good parade spots.

cont...

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 06:11 PM.
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 13, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

cont...

The start of the parade. It's our favourite one.
I get so goose bumpy and emotional.

I love watching how happy the kids are.

And then I nearly got knocked out.

He came over, high 5'd Louis and I'm guessing kissed me on the head but came down really hard. The pain was there instantly and I had a really bad headache for the rest of the day

We did Everest and headed out. My head was hurting and we were feeling abit parked out.

We stopped off at Guest Relations to try and change our Ohanas dinner reservation tomorrow as I could only get 9.30pm and we were able to change it to 8.30pm, so we were happy.

We got back to Bahama Bay at 5.20pm. We felt really tired. We reheated last nights Oliver Garden leftovers and chilled.
We then spent the evening down by the pool. Music was playing, bud was good and we got chatting with another English family.
It was a really nice evening.
We were in bed at 10pm

Magic Kingdom and Ohanas tomorrow

Thanks for reading.

@adeandlisadodisney

Edited at 05:05 PM.
Old 18 Apr 13, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely first park day sounds like you all had lots of fun, great pics, sitting around the pool sounds so relaxing
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 13, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pip123 View Post
Lovely first park day sounds like you all had lots of fun, great pics, sitting around the pool sounds so relaxing
Thanks for reading Sue x

@adeandlisadodisney

Old 18 Apr 13, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Another brilliant trip report - Animal Kingdom is one of my favourite parks, it's a lot more chilled out than the rest but theres so much to see and do !
Old 18 Apr 13, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Great day. I'm really enjoying reading your reports. x
Old 18 Apr 13, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rollercolster View Post
Another brilliant trip report - Animal Kingdom is one of my favourite parks, it's a lot more chilled out than the rest but theres so much to see and do !
Thanks again for reading

@adeandlisadodisney

Old 18 Apr 13, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RachE View Post
Great day. I'm really enjoying reading your reports. x
Thanks so much.

@adeandlisadodisney

Old 18 Apr 13, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Fab, can't wait to read more

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List